Group buys

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

Post by Blue »

Seriously considering a Gear vendors....
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

We're looking into the gear vendors deal, we'll let everyone know what we can do
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Mini Starters
Now on a group buy deal on 10 or more they would be £59.50 each

Alternators again on a group buy deal of 10 or more would be £35.00 each
DHenry

gear vendors

Post by DHenry »

Hi Guys,
Just read the post about the o/drive, yes the`re made in england by laycocks and shipped to the states. The clever pieces are the castings for the adaptions to either the autobox or the manual box. I`ve had one for the last 4/5 years with no complaints. Mines in a 71 b body and the only two bugbears were getting the right speedo drive gears (OCW does these, GM by the way) my own fault i changed axle ratios after fitting the kit and gear vendors after sale service is IMO not great, the other pain was I was running a full 3" stainless exhaust system with a cross over that had to be redone using an H pipe because the crossover sat where the overdrive sits. The instructions in the kit are okay and you`ll love having six speeds or a three speed with o/drive. No probs with fitting just make sure the clearance at the end of the input shaft is set right. I run mine behind a 511CI wedge with a six pack to 3:55:1 8.75" axle, oh yea you also have to get the prop shortened and the vendors comes with a 1350 style yoke (I changed both ends to 1350 s)

Hope this helps
Regards
Dave
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Cool. That is even before I fitted mine I think?

I had problems getting the correct 90 degree speedo drive adaptor. But their after sales service for me was very good.

My main problem was the tailshaft adaptor pulled the trans output shaft to the rear, removing any end play on that, and forcing the overrunning clutch to wear into the rear of the trans casing.

This in turn may have damaged the torque converter due to metal in the oil and that in turn may be what damaged the thrust bearing and surface on my crank.

I always tell people to pull the trans apart when fitting one just to check the output shaft clearence.

Even with all the hassle it is still one of the best things I ever bought for the car and as a bonus it allows me to use the 4.30:1 axle gears which are ideal for my car.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Just saw this.... I did post yonks ago. My bud in Florida has been doing this for ages! He gets great prices!
I am keeping this Mopar....... SOLD!
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

I belive the gear vendors is based on the largest laycock DeNormanville design.

the one used in mkII transit vans. J type

this was also used by Chrysler and AMC

these come up on ebay from time to time approx £100

the only issue you have is getting the adaptor to bolt it to your gearbox

however that is not necessarily an issue

because the company that took over all of laycocks tooling can sell you a front so that the box can be mounted independently of the gearbox

you end up with two prop shafts one from box to unit and one from unit to diff.

http://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/about_us.html

also check this page

http://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/services.html

universal unit for approx £700

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

GV should sell a tailshaft adaptor and any other adaptors (i.e. trans output shaft) if you needed.
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

Dave great site They say that the retro boxes fit Rolls and Bentley which are GM turbo 400 boxes and Bristols run 361cu in or 383cu in with a 727 box behind them so the must have an adaptor to suit off the shelf
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i'd be interested in some kind of modernised alternator (high output, electronic regulator etc) if such a thing exists
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Just use a electronic regulator with the alternator you have, assuming it's the old style mechanical reg that is

On the shelf at £21 + post + VAT
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

my alternator doesnt charge at idle, i presumed that was just how they were. i guess i could just put something more modern on it
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

DaveBishop wrote:Dave great site They say that the retro boxes fit Rolls and Bentley which are GM turbo 400 boxes and Bristols run 361cu in or 383cu in with a 727 box behind them so the must have an adaptor to suit off the shelf

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :thumbright:

yes alright if you have a 727 i have a bizzare thing called a borg warner single rail

basically a gearbox designed by BW Australia to fit Chryslers fords and Leyland P76s. looks like a ford capri box but isn't.

I like the idea of a gear vendors but i don't like to spend. :)

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Might have a good deals on HID xenon headlights in 5 and whatever inch and 7 inch sizes for our cars.
300 times brighter :shock: and 45% less power draw 8-) , in proper domed sealed beam style lenses with hi/lo beam

Quad lights ( Challenger, 71 Cuda) will be more expensive, but to be honest you only need dipped as the main will be redundant they are so bright.
As is the case in my Skyline

Variants are avaliable hi and lo beam separate, or Hi/Lo on with main beam with single lamps

Anyone interested ??
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I'm interested :thumbright:
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage