1966 Charger 383 4bbl

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

XP29

1966 Charger 383 4bbl

Post by XP29 »

Thought it's about time I put some pics up in one place. Our car is a 1966 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl with the 4 speed manual and Sure-grip rear. Built April 25th (so 50 soon!). I have the Certi card, build/broadcast sheet, factory inspection check sheet, original purchase receipt.

It lived in Portland Oregon through four owners from 66 till 2014 when It came over here. The 1st owner had it till the early 80's (I can't trace them).

The 2nd had it from early to late 80's, I have spoken to the Mrs who told me they took the car to car shows. Her husband who's passed away now changed the engine for a 440. She asked me about the scrape on the rear wing which is still there today! So I can date that to at least then.

The 3rd owner had it till 1995, there isn't much info from them and I can't find them. I can't work out if they sold it to the 4th owner with a dead engine or it died on him straight away, but I have a receipt for a tow and then engine parts and build for a 383. So it looks to me that he was trying to put the car back to stock as it has a year correct (but Dec 66) engine and everything else had not been touched. For some reason I will never find out he didn't finish the car and it sat from 1996 with a rebuilt engine that was never finished and fired up. I've found photos of it for sale and the advert when it got here with no radiator in etc in 2014. It was then sold to a member on here who we bought it from.

This is then

Last edited by XP29 on Wed Apr 06, 16 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
XP29

Post by XP29 »

One of the cool features of a 66/67 Charger is the gauge cluster and the electroluminescence. The problem is they (and the headlight motor system) are problematic. By today I've had this out a few times and you get the hang of it. How the system works is 12v goes to a transformer which is behind the glove box. 250v a.c. Comes out, not the best idea to touch or lick this! And goes to the gauges, radio (all I have), auto gear selector and clock. If any one part, there's 12 in the cluster alone, shorts it shuts the lot down. You can isolate the faulty bit and then still have lights. I have two needles that need to be fixed, but no bother for now.

A guy in the US is making modern versions of the transformer which don't run hot, so I got one while I could.

hemi472

Post by hemi472 »

That picture of the gauges lit up on the fender is brilliant , they look really good we never did get them working in the one we had, the modern transformer sounds like a good idea.
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Our little un loves "green car" as she calls it. Funny when she has to kiss it night!

In the Feb 66 Car and Driver, they had a feature on the new Charger,

We had a play at recreating this part of it

But when she's not playing she likes to help out

XP29

Post by XP29 »

The taillight on these cars looks great at night.

I've recently replaced the rear springs and shocks all round. The front steering/suspension got all new parts last year. Just need lower A arm bushings and geometry set up done. It's sitting a lot better and handling/riding than it did.

The car is still in its 1st paint. On the factory check sheet it mentions that the trunk lid is scratched, so that must have gone back in for re paint as its not as good finish as the rest of the car and crazed. I've just had a bit of floor panel replacement at the front. Which is a shame as it was a totally untouched car till then. The floors have had several layers of epoxy two pack and a new carpet set fitted.

Last edited by XP29 on Wed Apr 06, 16 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
XP29

Post by XP29 »

hemi472 wrote:That picture of the gauges lit up on the fender is brilliant , they look really good we never did get them working in the one we had, the modern transformer sounds like a good idea.
Thanks. Which car did you have? Is it still in UK?
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Great looking car.........Love the patina on the roof! 8-)

Are the rear lights sequential?
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Dave81 wrote:Great looking car.........Love the patina on the roof! 8-)

Are the rear lights sequential?
Thanks. No they are not, I've seen led kits out there. Not cheap though!
hemi472

Post by hemi472 »

XP29 wrote:
hemi472 wrote:That picture of the gauges lit up on the fender is brilliant , they look really good we never did get them working in the one we had, the modern transformer sounds like a good idea.
Thanks. Which car did you have? Is it still in UK?
It was a black 66 383 with red interior , registration began with JFD ( i forget the rest ) sold it to a woman called karen down on the south coast around 1998 , i dont know if its still here or not, she came to the mopar nats a few times afterwards but i dont think ive seen it for about 14 or so years.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Karen o'dare Sharman that was, used to be a member years ago. She's big into the rock'n roll scene, don't know if she still has it not seen it for many years now.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Blue

Post by Blue »

Oh and Green car looks great! I really think it's crying out for a set of period wheels and tyres though to fill out those huge wheel arches.
hemi472

Post by hemi472 »

Blue wrote:Karen o'dare Sharman that was, used to be a member years ago. She's big into the rock'n roll scene, don't know if she still has it not seen it for many years now.
Yes that was her name, I remember she used to write a few articles about the car in the old club magazine.

Keystone's or motor wheel spyders for the 66 ?
Blue

Post by Blue »

Spyders if you could find a decent set which isn't easy these days. At least you can buy Keystones new and to be honest they'd look great as well.
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Did Karen sell it to a guy called Nick? I know a Nick that had a black 67 that sold it around 2008.

What are keystones? I was thinking Magnums or Crager repos. I want 15"s thinking 7" on the front with 235 ish tyres and 8" on the rear with 275-295 on the rear. But the budget is limited after the suspension, new carb and carpet set costs.

I do know 10" will fit in the rear, but they are definitely out due to wheel and tyre cost.
hemi472

Post by hemi472 »

These are keystone klassics , I would use 15x8 with 275/60/15 & 15x7 with 225/70/15 ( this is my usual standard answer for all muscle cars :lol: )

Cragars or magnums would look good as well :thumbright:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 8196 times