Mopar EuroNationals 27/28/29 July. Santa Pod Raceway

Post photos from past events here.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

Re: Mopar EuroNationals 27/28/29 July. Santa Pod Raceway

Post by Blue »

As ever thanks to the committee for putting on a great show, the rumour of it's demise has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now, glad to see it squashed. Yes the weather was a pain, but we all had a great time anyway despite several dramas I wouldn't miss it!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Yet another fantastic Nats for me !
I even managed a bit of "very"slow racing in the new truck.
As usual great to chat with members old, and new , and great to meet Drew who took the long haul over just for our event.

Ah yes. The weather
So what ?
Dunc made a very good point. Having done racing in the past , it really is a P.I.T.A to drag all your kit to an event , and sit and look at grey skies and wet stuff. This is England. It rains !!!
And when it does you spend time with fellow Mopar nuts , chatting over a pint if you wish , until the weather passes.

I've been going to the Pod all my life. We had no weather apps in the past. Just took a chance , and supported a sport that I love.

Rant over !...........
Thanks to all involved , for yet another fantastic MOPAR EURO NATIONALS.

See y'all next year :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Mossy68 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 18 6:13 pm Yet another fantastic Nats for me !
I even managed a bit of "very"slow racing in the new truck.
As usual great to chat with members old, and new , and great to meet Drew who took the long haul over just for our event.

Ah yes. The weather
So what ?
Dunc made a very good point. Having done racing in the past , it really is a P.I.T.A to drag all your kit to an event , and sit and look at grey skies and wet stuff. This is England. It rains !!!
And when it does you spend time with fellow Mopar nuts , chatting over a pint if you wish , until the weather passes.

I've been going to the Pod all my life. We had no weather apps in the past. Just took a chance , and supported a sport that I love.

Rant over !...........
Thanks to all involved , for yet another fantastic MOPAR EURO NATIONALS.

See y'all next year :thumbright:
Well said mossy,,,,,,, exactly that years ago no real weather reports and what were, were always wrong just get out of your comfy life and take a chance. all these collecter cars were meant to be out and used seen not scared of poor weather, fffffffssss
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
sublimemike
Location: oxford - the dreaming spires where cars in the city are banned

Post by sublimemike »

I think and have thought for a long time the event needs a freshen up. It's a big thanks to all those who put the time in to organise it and we are all very grateful but everything moves on. You can't stand still forever or you get left behind.

Take the programmes for example ...they've never changed, not since the first nats I went to which was No.9. For sure the weather played a major part and people are less likely to come if there is a possibility the racing will be stopped or cancelled due to rain. The Burn out competition has had its day and I'm not alone with that view. If you've seen it 3 times why come on Sunday if the weather is iffy. Look at Dragstalgia...there was a workshop doing pin striping. Nec Classic Car show has live restoration workshops so do many of the other car shows.

People that make money out of servicing , tuning , upgrading our cars etc could all promote themselves and their businesses by spending 30 mins on each of the days showing some simple common mechanical fixes or little secrets in car set ups to better racers strip times. I accept the Pro mods are here to stay now but the format needs tweaking though not in anyway to reduce the run what yer brung track time.

How about a mobile dyno rolling road?

As Jim says "it's great event on a sunny weekend*

Just my tuppence worth
if you think speed kills don't get on a plane
v8rumble

Post by v8rumble »

My first Nats for about 6 years but this time I drove a Mopar there

Did a couple of runs and got the car valued by Tony O

Got to say all my group thought everyone we met especially those in the fire up lanes were so friendly and helpful

It made a great change to just find a large bunch of people who were interested in one thing-----------------Petrol powered vehicles

No airs and graces, no pigeon holing of cars just normal petrolheads

Big thanks to the Organisers and everyone who attended and made it such a great show :thumbright:

Just hope Mr Bartlett doesn't get too greedy lol
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

Well I had a great nats and as said many times before, thanks to all who put alot of time into organising it
Ill be back for 2019 no matter what the weather forecast.

On thursday afternoon when we arrived it was a very dry 95f and I said for once a bit of wind and a splash of rain would have been welcome, oh boy ill never wish for that again
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Big thanks to all involved running the show ant attending! We had a great time, got a few runs on Fri (I’m still slow and rubbish :oops: ) . Great to see the cars, watch some racing, hang out in the bar, also we did the cruise for the first time :D
1966 Charger, 383 4bbl, 4 speed manual trans, Sure-grip, original paint.
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

I’d like to thank the committee for putting on a thoroughly enjoyable event,by Saturday night I was like a dog with two appendages having done my first quarter mile runs,what a blast and by God I’m a just little bit hooked now.

Time off for me and I’m sure everyone else is precious and quite frankly I’m not going to let a bit of rain get in the way of me having fun,yes I know it can get you down but I was disappointed by the exodus on Sunday,to work the event needs the mix of the show and shiners and the racing to me they are complimentary.

Adding to the event could be a good idea,I maybe off centre with this but how about inviting other one make Car clubs for a bit of friendly rivalry on the track and in the Corral.
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Captain Chaos wrote: Mon Jul 30, 18 10:49 pm

Adding to the event could be a good idea,I maybe off centre with this but how about inviting other one make Car clubs for a bit of friendly rivalry on the track and in the Corral.
Nope !!! [-X
More mopes on the 1/4. Slow , fast , show winner or ratty survivor.
Their pedigree is the racing history.
So race them !!!!!! \:D/
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Well... that was an interesting nats for sure...

Since joining the club Nicola and I have tried to support the event. We don't look at weather. We just buy our tickets and book a hotel as soon as the dates are confirmed. I don't see the point - the pod kind of gets it's own mini weather system? OK, so there's no racing, but you can still walk round and look at rare cars you don't see every day.

It didn't go well for us this year... at the services half way point we came back to the car to see a small puddle had formed underneath it. I fired it up and it was dripping every other seccond from the waterpump area. We had a choice - go back or press on with an eye on the temp guage and we chose to press on figuring it wasn't too bad at that point. We rocked up at the hotel about 60 miles further on and after letting the car cool discovered it had lost about 2 litres of water.
Figured we could top up and limp it to the track which we duely did... We parked up in the show n shine area and discovered it had lost another 2 litres of water in 9 miles so we knew the game was over - we figured the car could just sit there until the sunday. It isn't a race car so beyond transporting us between the hotel and the track that's all it tends to do anyway.
So we missed out on the cruise - normally the highlight of the year for me. Still, we got to see the tail end of them drive off. Nicola was pretty Bananarama! off - it was her turn to drive the car on the cruise this year! :P
Simon Rogers and Dave Christmas were kind enough to give us a lift in their cars so between those guys and the local taxi firm we managed to get around just fine. Don't they know how to charge, though? £20 a go to travel 9 miles! :shock:

To be honest, I was surprised so many folk were bailing so early. There was only 1 shower after they announced the event was off and when we left. By the time the RAC truck turned up at 6:30 it was pretty pleasant?

Still, it was nice to meet a few more folk and put some more names to faces.
Thanks to the comittee for organising the event, and to those who offered support, parts and assistance.
-Jon.
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

MOPAR NATS..............................should go on and on and on

That is why I have a Mopar so I can join and enjoy the one weekend I look forward to from Aug.

Thank you to the team for all they have done and will do to carry on with the Mopar Nats, weather no one can fix!!!!!
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Having been at the first, and most since (not all) including Saturday only this year (with kids in tow!), both as participant and spectator, I thought it was as healthy as ever. The number of spectators in the stands seemed pretty high to me considering this is a low-key event compared to full on race meets (actually always a selling point for me – it’s a nice contrast). I was actually pretty surprised that they got the jet track drier out after the rain shower on Saturday, I’m old enough to remember where they had to be dragged into doing that even at a race meet in the past. Also sprayed the track a few times (ditto). Both on account of the Pro-Mods I’m sure but either way it suggested to me that Santa Pod are taking the meet seriously. The weather, yes sounds like it was a bummer Sunday (wasn’t there) but as others have said, it’s England, always a lottery and have been to many rained off meets over the years, nothing you can do except turn up and hope for the best (which is often better than the forecast). Talking of weather, the wind was pretty serious, again I was a bit surprised they were running but it was pretty much a headwind so assume that was why – a crosswind of that magnitude could have had some nasty consequences!

Definitely does not need tearing up and starting with a blank sheet – it’s a good formula that works. Are there tweaks that could be tried – of course, there always are with any meet so worth looking at some, but nothing basically wrong (including burnout competition – keep it!).

Bottom line, massive thanks to Jim, Tony and rest of Euronats committee for coming up with this all those years ago and keeping it going since. We are very lucky to have such an event so enjoy it and keep it going!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Lincrafts.com

Post by Lincrafts.com »

Santa Pod are saying are ticket is valid for next year so it had better be on lol
Rainy Sunday but I got my "Ba Ba" back and she ran just fine on the 100 mile journey home.
Madly deeply in love :plymouth:
Attachments
Credit.jpg
Credit.jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Present:
1973 Plymouth Roadrunner
2010 Chrysler 300c SRT
Past:
1999 Dodge Dakota RT
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda :(
Lincrafts.com