Le Mans Classic

Dates, details and photos

Moderator: Moderators

guy whitwam

Le Mans Classic

Post by guy whitwam »

hI ALL
Am thinking about doing this event this year and was wondering if any body has done this , if so what is the best way and is there a company that takes care of your crossing , camping and tickets etc , or is it best to go it alone …………. any advice would be gratefully received
thanks
Guy
RobTwin

Re: Le Mans Classic

Post by RobTwin »

MattH is your man... and after next July we should be able to advise too ;) :D
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

This is who we used back in 2016.

Beer tent, shower block, fenced in camping area, tickets with the pit pass.
Only option we did not take is pre-erected tents from memory.

To save the hassle, i would probably opt for that next time.

https://fasttracktours.co.uk/booking/le-mans-classic/
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

Guy, ive not done the classic but have done the 24hrs several times, but guess it will be the same format and guess u will be camping
these organsied tours will do everything for you, but you pay for it, the most important part is goggling a finding out which camp sote you want to be on then simply buy a camp spot off the le mans web site, im guessing by now all the pitches will be marked to stop people like me who used take the Bananarama! with rv - swimming pool - motorbike.
The ferry booking from dover can be made any time, and the ferrys are like buses every half hour
The biggest problem at the 24hrs was queing for the showers and toilet, not nice at all, the year I didnt have the rv I resorted to going in the shower during the night as there was a mile long que from dawn dill dusk
Great place to go, id love to back,
You cant view from anywhere around the track, forget using your car when there for the traffic, you will need a bike of goped to get about /go to the supermarket
The year I didnt take the rv, I flew to paris then hired a car and bought a tent on the way, vey cheap way of doing it
Hope this helps
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

youve got me looking through my old photos now , proper p-iss up 2005
Attachments
Picture 023.jpg
Picture 023.jpg (155.98 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 016.jpg (153.73 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
Picture 014.jpg
Picture 014.jpg (197.31 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
1 012.jpg
1 012.jpg (134.47 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
69 518 daytona
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Some good advice here already Guy.

I did the Classic in 2012 and have done nearly every year at the 24h since 1998. The Classic is a more civilised version of the main event and the Club displays will amaze you,the whole of the Bugatti Circuit is given over to them and a lot of effort is made to give the place a period feel.

Viewing can be enhanced with a small pair of steps or even a Grandstand seat,the latter keeping the sun or rain off,part of the attraction will be to wander and I’ve always found places to get a good look.

I organise the tickets for our group and have used https://1st-tickets.co.uk/ for the last ten years and highly recommend them. They do both the all inclusive that you describe at their compound near the start finish straight on Bleu Nord and also can supply just camping and entrance passes,Brian who runs the company is very friendly and always willing to give advice.

We have preferred Maison Blanche which is at the bottom of the Porsche Curves which when looking at Andy’s photos is on the other side of the track to where he was. Maison Blanche passes often sell out so calling around is worthwhile. Shower and Toilet facilities have improved over the years and given the lower attendance comparatively speaking to the 24 they are far less pressured.

I admin a FB page for Le Mans Camping and recommend you join if you want more opinions Beermountain Le Mans Camping Social is it’s name.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Guy,
I wrote a big article in Connected about this when i went, and Dave Tildesley wrote one when he went too.
It is very different to the 24hr, much more civilised, more going on, as there are no long periods with no action. There are also thousands of classic cars there with club displays. Make sure you stay at the track, either camping or something more posh if you can find it. Staying away from it and driving back to watch stuff is a pain and you will miss things. There is too much to see in three days anyway, even if you are there the whole time.
Get paddock passes too, that is stunning walking round the pits.
We stayed close to the track in a campsite and got up several times during the night (not for a wee) but to go and watch particular races at night. Also worth getting to the bottom of the track at Arnage during the night, and go to Arnage village Friday evening for dinner and watch the cars cruising.

It is an event that having been I wished I'd been years earlier.
You must go in your classic. It's part of the fun and you'll see loads more on the French roads heading the same way.
I'd also suggest staying over Sunday night and having a relaxed drive back on the Monday. It's quite a slog back to Calais and better to do it refreshed rather than tired and rushing with everyone else to the tunnel, only to be delayed several hours because you missed your train due to a minor breakdown on route.

Travel destinations are a good company to go with
https://traveldestinations.co.uk/motors ... s-classic/
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
guy whitwam

Post by guy whitwam »

OK fellas , thanks for all that info , will be checking those web pages out , but it sounds from all who have been that it is well worth the effort , and so different to anything else .

Guess it must be like the league of nations with all languages from far and wide there .

Oh Andy ,looks like you did it in your own slightly under stated style there too. =D>

We are wanting to take the Impala and maybe making it into a 58 race car with some period stickers which my sign writer can make up , to make it a little more authentic for the year ,but that will take a little thought , think Matt's car but 50's style .

Once again thank all for the pointers

yours
GUY and Tracey
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

guy whitwam wrote: Tue Nov 12, 19 11:20 am

Guess it must be like the league of nations with all languages from far and wide there ....

yours
GUY and Tracey
You could could just take a ride on the London Underground if you want to experience that, Guy :shock: :lol:
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

yes Guy it a deffo a place you need to go some time !

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
69 518 daytona
Derek

Post by Derek »

RobTwin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 19 1:16 pm
guy whitwam wrote: Tue Nov 12, 19 11:20 am

Guess it must be like the league of nations with all languages from far and wide there ....

yours
GUY and Tracey
You could could just take a ride on the London Underground if you want to experience that, Guy :shock: :lol:
You are so funny Rob, it made me LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
MattH

Post by MattH »

You'll find a massive amount of people there are British, so language not a problem. Racers come from around the globe.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
guy whitwam

Post by guy whitwam »

Hi Matt and Andy
Now all booked with Graham at Travel Destinations , had a look around but like you and Andy said , these guys seem to be the best and offer all we need for reasonable money so have gone with them . Camping at Porshe Curve in a 7m x 5m pitch on the select area with private loos and showers, comes complete with paddock passes and grandstand tickets too.
Leaving Folkstone Euro tunnel 9.50am arrive 11.25am France , depart Monday 4.16pm
So Le Mans Classic here we come !...………...see you there \:D/
Yours
GUY
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

Well enjoy Guy, I like the porsche curves as the camp site is next to the track so your never very far from the track, first time i went i stopped on houx annex which is a massive site but not next to the track, I quickly learnt, but since i think audi corperate took some the porsche curves camp site away not so long ago

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
69 518 daytona
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just been looking at this thread this morning. Never been to the event before.

I think I'll book for this year and drive the Charger there .