SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Steve

SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE

Post by Steve »

Just touched on a subject dear to my heart on another thread with Matt74. It was a bit off topic so thought I would start a new thread as I'm really interested to hear what other people think on this subject.

A few years ago, city life and all of its expectations, demands and 'necessities' lost its appeal to me and I had a real hankering for a much simpler, back to basics lifestyle. I spent all of my working life working unsociable long hours, nights etc etc and the whole consumer based, conformist, materialistic lifestyle started to get to me. I'm not from a city and didn't want to die in a flat in one. I wanted what I had as a boy, space, simplicity and peace and quiet.

I sold up and moved to rural Scotland where I now enjoy (amongst other things) walking, cooking, reading, music, fettling my old car, my log burner and sleeping like a baby.

I've also come to enjoy and embrace a level of solitude that wasn't achievable in a flat in the city and its now my choice if I want other people in my life, not theirs.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else feels this way or if, like our great leader Pete, you think I'm bonkers :D

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Dom66

Re: SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE

Post by Dom66 »

I never could have hacked City life, but where I am in the South East is getting more and more built up. I've spent years rebuilding and extending my house and had always thought I'd have to be dragged out in a box, but various things recently, like neighbours threatening to sell half their gardens as building plots, have had me thinking. I keep seeing odd nice properties around the country and thinking with the crazy property prices round here at the moment I could sell up and move somewhere more remote and have 200k in hand to add to the pension. I work for myself from home, my only real tie here is my Mum and she's in her 90's.... So yes, definitely something I'll be considering in the coming years. Glad it's working out for you !
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think part of the simplify thing also involves decluttering , in a mental as well as physical way. I've always been organised, neat and I like things to be quite ordered. Unfortunately my mind hasn't always been that way in as much as it was cluttered with mundane daily blah, phones, news on telly, shopping, just things I really didn't find of any benefit when I analysed them.

I had a brutal clear out when I moved and am striving to get all my 'stuff' under one roof and totally organised. It's definitely easier to lead a simple life away from hustle and bustle as there isn't anything to distract me from what I want to do instead of what others want me to do.
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

I admire your outlook and tenacity to get what you want Steve,fair play to you.

I dwell on where we are now,Kids away,business is too time consuming and don’t really enjoy it anymore. Kath and I are lucky in what we have certainly,hard work and a bit of luck has got us there.

Many years ago I was in a bad place financially and emotionally, I promised myself that I’d never be short ever again and that fear has driven me over the last thirty years,to be honest I’m not sure how to stop it.

The West Country is our bolt hole and I hope/daydream that we’ll get there to a simpler life,seeing someone who has achieved that is a comfort and it’s reassuring that when you really want something it can happen. All the best to you Mate👍
Steve

Post by Steve »

Cheers Stuart but to be honest, it was a no brainer for me so the decision to do it was very easy. I discussed it with a few people who's opinion and advice really matter to me (Pete among them :thumbright: ) and I just went for it.

I'm pretty lucky in a way that money has never ever been a driving factor for me. Yes I have the same bills to pay as everyone else but as long as they are covered and I can have a pint if I fancy it every now and then, then I'm happy enough. I've never had drive to better myself at work and, having sofa surfed for ages after the split from my wife, my only driving factor was to get my own front door again and be happy. I've managed that but it wasn't guaranteed.

I think a 'cluttered' life can take its toll and simplicity is much easier. I can only describe it as that feeling when you sleep at night. It might be just me but I sleep really well if my bedroom is tidy and perfect but have a terrible sleep in an untidy room. Think that sums up my desire to live a simpler life.
James Vette

Post by James Vette »

Whenever I see american movies like smokey and the bandit I get so jealous of how much space they have especially not having to worry about tight roads and tight car parks.
currently driving: 1971 stingray
Pete

Post by Pete »

.. and when you go racing...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Pete wrote: Sun Mar 13, 22 9:23 pm .. and when you go racing...
The head has no clutter in it at all.
Steve

Post by Steve »

and empty deep pockets...... :D
Pete

Post by Pete »

Attachments
Why.png
Why.png (605.97 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Steve

Post by Steve »

:D :D :D

I need my head and life to be decluttered permanently, not for 15 seconds, twice a month for 4 months of the year. That's what a sex life is for.....
Pete

Post by Pete »

Different Strokes, Mate.

And yours are clearly quicker than mine!

Whatever floats your boat.

I am happy that you have found peace.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Steve

Post by Steve »

...and a wee bit longer....I'm told..... :shock:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Cheers Pete....I still think of that conversation we had at the NEC. Certainly helped me sort out what I wanted to do.

On a serious note, you have obviously found what sorts you out in building quick cars, and as you say, different strokes, for different folks :thumbright:
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Nice topic Steve and I for one would love an easier, more relaxing, out of the busy everyday running around for that MONEY to live!!!

But not yet managed to get there, for sure the aim is to have a more relaxed life one day, and time to do whatever I decide to do whenever I feel like it.

Totally agree with you about moving away from city life to a quieter part.