Project 64 Barracuda V8 4-speed

Mopars For sale

Moderator: Moderators

paolo_mangusta

Project 64 Barracuda V8 4-speed

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Original 1964 V8 four-speed car, registered in January (with much thanks to Matt for the support dealing with the DVLA) as YHH 430B as a historic vehicle, so tax and MoT exempt.

I bought the car as a rolling shell with the intention of building an FIA compliant historic circuit racing car. Life and health issues got in the way but if you’ve been inspired by Matt S’s racing efforts here’s the perfect car. I was going to build it to Appendix K spec for more places to race it and better resale value, but I did speak to the organisers of the Swinging Sixties series and they were happy to accept it with a later, larger small block which would make it a serious weapon.

The car is still an unfinished project and is currently a rolling shell with the engine and box fitted but sitting on the old suspension parts in order it can be moved. I put new floors in and reinforced the torsion bar mounts, K frame and LCAs.
No other structural welding needed. The paint could be touched in and made ok for a race car, which was my plan, some bubbling/crazing on doors and rear quarters but not too bad. If you wanted a really nice job and stripped it I’m sure you’d find a lot more work to do but depends how fussy you are - if you’re a fan of ‘patina’ you’ll love it :-D
The dash is there but is missing the gauge panel. I found a '65 gauge cluster that I was going to adapt to fit.
New windscreen and rubber (specific to early A bodies, expensive!) - not fitted
All glass there, though missing some trim.
All lights, new headlights but buckets need adapting. Grille has been repaired but looks good.
Interior trim and bumpers missing.
Stock steering wheel.
Have 2 race style buckets seats plus a worn out original drivers seat.
Good '64 273 - not the car's original but correct good running motor bought from a club member's Valiant when they put in a 408. Installed with Holley 2 barrel, dizzy etc
Original 4 speed with HD clutch fitted
Good radiator of original type
Car currently has 7 1/4 rear axle with good brakes and is sitting on drum fronts. Drums are new and unused, fitted along with other new brake parts by the previous owner.
14in steels with 3 good tyres (the fourth has started to bulge recently so not strictly legal!)
Dual circuit master cylinder

£5000 as it stands.

Other parts for negotiation or make me an offer for everything:
Have A body 8 3/4 casing and 4 halfshafts, plus 741 centre section - a 3.23 CW&P and rear drum brakes.
2 spare 14in steels
New Cherry Bombs and piping and bends to make dual side exit exhausts
NOS rear shocks
Later A-body radiator
2 good doors, stripped and blasted
s/h Blue holley pump
Remote oil filter set up
spare bellhousing
Original type Carter 4 barrel for rebuild plus rebuild kit
original type 4 barrel inlet manifold
Spare 273 for rebuild (late sixties for the heads with the later type inlet manifold bolts)
1 NOS KH disc
New pads and shoes
Complete good KH front disc set up
Holley 4160 750 carb, new
new Weiand manifold
new boxed Addco front and rear ARB kits
£500 of newly ordered parts: bushes (mostly poly), ball joint and rod end boots, new camber bolts, speedo and handbrake cables, shocks, brake cylinder kits and hoses, etc
Cobra FIA spec race seat (out of date, but new and unused)
Pair Mickey Thompson rocker covers
Probably more lurking in boxes and benches

Although I’ve put a lot of work into the car and spent a lot acquiring parts, there is still loads to do and Covid life changes mean I am not getting the chance. I’ve recently lost some of my workshop space and could really use the money so biting the bullet and putting it up for sale.

Just to be totally open about it, some members will know that one of the reasons why this project stalled for me was that I was pointed towards an old post on another forum that suggested the car was stolen. I’m not going to go into all the details on the forum (but happy to do so if you want to give me a call), but suffice to say it turned out that wasn’t the case after I put in a lot of effort to track down and deal with the previous owners, as well as paying for vehicle checks and talking to the police. The chassis number is correct for the car and had not been registered previously with the DVLA but thanks to the MMA confirming the age and details of the car I was eventually able to get it registered in January of this year. I’ll give you a receipt and a copy of the one I got when I bought it.

Car is in Camberwell, South London and will need trailering of course. Wouldn't need to be moved in too much of a hurry if a sale is agreed.

Paul 07763 882125

UPDATE: Should have been clearer, looking to sell the parts with the car at the moment since anyone making a circuit racer or fast road car out of it would want those parts. Realise though that a Pro-Touring or drag car might well go a different route, hence if someone wants the car we can do a deal for any extra parts they want then the rest will be up for sale.
Last edited by paolo_mangusta on Wed Dec 16, 20 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'64 Barracuda
MattH

Re: Project 64 Barracuda V8 4-speed

Post by MattH »

Sounds like a great project for someone.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Bumping this, it's still available - I have been having to take time off work to care for my parents so getting pretty skint and no time to work on it :(

Open to offers, I will have a chance to get to the workshop early next week so if anyone wants more pictures of the parts or the work done let me know and I can post a few more.
'64 Barracuda
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

:GimmePics!:

:P :P :P

It sounds like a good project :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

PM some photos,,,,,,,PLEASE :plymouth: :plymouth: :plymouth:
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Will be down on Tuesday and will get some pics then :thumbright:
'64 Barracuda
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Hi - really sorry, life has very much been getting in the way. Also one of the reasons I am selling is because I no longer have space to get the car out to work on it (or take pictures) due to the fact that the council are doing work on the property - was supposed to be done by Xmas and still no end in sight...

Did manage to get the car and parts moved yesterday and got some pics, although there a even more parts squirrelled away that I haven't photographed yet. Will add them as I do.

There's an album of pictures here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2k8R3xHnYad8bPUM7

Looking for offers on the whole lot as listed above - if not I'm going to stick it on eBay in the next couple of weeks. I know I would likely get more money selling separately (there must be nearly 3 grand in new parts now plus quite a lot of rare s/h bits) but can't see I'm going to get the time.

Any questions or you want to come and see it in Camberwell please give me a call on 07763 882125

Cheers,

Paul
'64 Barracuda
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Bumping this - tried it on eBay a couple of months back but all that sold was the spare bell-housing. Still don't have my workshop space back (council contractors were supposed to be finished by last Christmas...) so no chance of doing much on it soon.

Any takers at £7500 for everything?
'64 Barracuda