Craigs Chrysler Hardtop

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

CRAIG

Craigs Chrysler Hardtop

Post by CRAIG »

Hi All here is a few pics of where my CH Chrysler Hardtop is currently resting. Im slowly gathering parts and will continue with restoreing it one day. So if anyone has any parts that might fit i would be pleased to here from you. I have a couple of better pics i will post later.
Attachments
DSCN7625.JPG
DSCN7625.JPG (146.19 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
DSCN7624.JPG
DSCN7624.JPG (164.54 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
MattH

Post by MattH »

Spare roof as well, you have done well sourcing bits!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
CRAIG

Post by CRAIG »

Couple of pics from when i first got the car.
Attachments
DSCN1542.JPG
DSCN1542.JPG (143.48 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
DSCN1543.JPG
DSCN1543.JPG (168.77 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Hardtop
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i have some weird headlamp surrounds in the shed

no idea if they will fit

will try to find em and post a picture

if you think they'll fit you can have em

i also have a set of hardtop/CbyC front wings but yours look better...these are my spares but if you needed them can sell for what i paid which in the scheme of things wasn't a lot.

Might be worth sticking it up in the work shop section with a list of wants.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
VGVIP

Post by VGVIP »

Hi Craig.

I have only one CH specific part in my shed. It's a headlight mount, may have some trim on it. Can not remember if it's LH or RH.
I'll dig it out and post a pic.
Yours if you want it. No use to me.

Also Know where you may be able to get some other parts that were shared with the CH 4 door.

Some time ago Dave and I went on an adveture to DB Motors to get some parts if you have not already been there give it a go.
Probably best if you have a list prepaired or organise with the owner to go and look for yourself if it is not too far from you.

http://www.dbmotors.net/10283/info.php?p=3&pno=0

Have a look about half way down the list of 'breakers'.
CRAIG

Post by CRAIG »

Hi, Dave, Thanks for offer of wings, i think mine are not to bad, just need a few little areas welding, but mainly solid.

Steve thanks for offer of light mounts i will take it please, i will have to get it off you at some point. I called DB Motors and asked about the 4 door CH, was told the bits i was after were rottern. Not wanting to bad mouth people but the guy was a bit of a numpty. He baisicly said the 2 doors not worth restoring, would not be worth much done and if it has much rot it should prob be scraped. Lol not much words of encouragement from a company that makes its money from selling bits to help people restore these old cars.

Anywho rant over, i will try and pop over to see the 4 door at some point myself and see if theres anything of use. So thanks for the tip off steve. :thumbright:
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Hardtop
Steve

Post by Steve »

That will be lovely when shes sorted Craig....great shape and will be really good fun sourcing bits etc. Think that guy you dealt with has forgotten what this is all about. If I had a car like yours to restore, I wouldnt care what its worth when its done, could be 1p for all I care, its just all about the fun doing it, the fun of meeting people and driving her. Dont think many of us make money on our cars unless we are very lucky, especially if you have to put a few quid into getting them up and running etc.

Whats the history of your car Craig? Bet you thought all your Christmases had come at once when you bagged her!

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
CRAIG

Post by CRAIG »

Yeah it will be a nice car when done, need a bit of vission to imagine what it will look like. I know a vauge bit of history about it.
There was around 500 CH Hardtops made, There is only around 50 Known left now, Mine is thought to be the only 2 door in the uk.

I brought it off a old member off here who moved to america, i think im right in saying he rescued it of the back of a truck on its way to a scrap yard, and before that i belive it was sat on a dock somewhere up north.

I think matt may know anything ive left out.

I will have to try and dig out some more pics i have of it. :thumbright:
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Hardtop
bratfink

Post by bratfink »

I have no idea who originally imported the car, but it was first registered in 81. I doubt it drove very far before being parked up since it still had the shipping stickers on it!

I first ran into it when I got a call for info from a museum owner in London on this and another Val Charger, he thought he could the parts off one for the other. He was convinced he had a US Charger and was going to make a fortune on it.

Next time it popped up, both had sold to a former (I presume) member in Kent area who pulled the 360 motor and screen out of the CH to use in the Charger. I don't know what happened to the Charger in the end, the owner lost interest in it when he realised he bit off more than he could chew and it got sold on, I hope someone knows it's whereabouts? Matt?

That owner had decided he wanted the Charger and scrapped the CH without giving me warning after he stripped what he wanted. I happened to be taking some spares to him that he wanted for the Charger and found the CH on the flatbed ready to go to the crusher. I managed to convince him to redirect the flatbed driver to a farm near me and there it sat waiting for a Craig (person with more talent than me) to restore it.

When I had it a guy from the old Aussie CH registry actually came over to see it! He thought it was a total basket case, so it must be worth saving! :D

This is a very rare car, even in Australia. Only roughly 480 - 500 were built. Of which about 50-60 survive.

The VH and VJ hardtop model is a little bit more numerours, but we are still only talking about a couple of thousand origianlly built.
bratfink

Post by bratfink »

Here's what it should look like!
Attachments
Factory Look
Factory Look
CH_Hardtop_1.jpg (66.89 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
RestoMod / Mild ProStreet.
RestoMod / Mild ProStreet.
CH_Hardtop.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Carl

Post by Carl »

That is a nice looking car. Good luck with the resto.
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

don't give up on DB motors

the bloke is a bit of a misery but once you get him going he turns up stuff

didn't really speak to Steve and i initially until we had got his fork lift back on 4 wheels

he warmed to us once we had cut back a large area of brambles and hawthorn to get to the car we were interested in, saved him a morning of hard labour

he has axles and tranmissions a number of engines

we opend the boot of a 4 door while we were there to get at the goodies inside

boot was locked but the inner wings collapsed and the rear deck collapsed so there was no need to unlock it it just fell off :)

so yes what he has is rusty...but not all of it

plenum tunnel all kinds of bits

or a load of original ausssie steel to be beaten into a new shape

lots of interior bits and swicthes and stuff

its all old grot but not gonna cost much, his daugher i think has designs on the house and land after he passes away and has given him an ultimateum to get the place cleared before he retires or pops his cloggs.

he appears to be a hoarder so letting anything go seems to be a struggle, once he is sure you are not there to rip him off he's reasonably affable. i got a bit of NOS out of him

ask him about his VG pacer 2 door wuith the bathurst 35 gallon fuel tank....

no he hasn't still got it.... :(

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
CRAIG

Post by CRAIG »

Hi, Dave, yeah i plan to go over at some point and have a look at what hes got left. Cars gunna be left in storage for at least another year as ive got lots going on, but will def get fixed at some point. :thumbright:
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Hardtop
CRAIG

Post by CRAIG »

Found this pic on my computer, taken of my car a few years ago. :thumbright:
Attachments
121.jpg
121.jpg (193.46 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Hardtop
Bratfink

Re: Craigs Chrysler Hardtop

Post by Bratfink »

Any progress Craig?
I am coming to believe a 56mph speed record is harder to achieve than a 400mph one!