Project '71 Gold Duster

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

had a few problems in the last couple of months, some just me being stupid, and others frustrating as hell. Had an auto electrician out last week, who worked wonders with the awful chinese turn signal switch. Managed to separate the brake lights from the turn signal switch and the turn signal works better than it ever has. He even replaced the bad factory 8pin connector with a more modern 8 pin connector block, a lot easier to take apart and fit together again.

One of the more frustrating things that i have battled the entire time i have owned the car is the brake light switch. I Managed to get the bracket out and it was all bent out of shape, hammered it back into the rough shape, but all the switched i had were not that great and none of them would connect to the pedal assembly either. At about 9pm i had an epiphany, the switch i had, the actual part that presses is hollow, so i screwed a small sheet metal screw into it, and put a bunch of washers onto the screw. The switch hits the pedal every time now and works like a charm. Hopefully wont have to sort that out again. The dash has gone on and off about 50 times in the last month. Annoyingly the lights on the dash still dont work, apart from the indicator lights on the dash.

Next on the block, is the replace the pop out window seals as they let water in, then carpet and finally going to get around to the headliner which i started months ago.
Attachments
20643920_658988610976035_1501380112_n.jpg
20643920_658988610976035_1501380112_n.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
ChrisN34

Re: Project '71 Gold Duster

Post by ChrisN34 »

Been far too long since my last update. Laid the Duster up for the winter in August 2017, job situation throughout 2018 was not great, and the Duster took a back seat for a while. Got a great new job in a completely different field last October and i am finally in a good place to get the Duster back on the road, and replace my current boring old Toyota.

Had the car down my mates Garage, hes done the odd bit for me here and there, but i wanted him to get through some of the bigger or annoying things i cant or dont have time to do.
So Headliner is finally done, 2 years after starting it. Looks great, but sags a little at the back where the trim is not installed.

Purchased a new PS pump as my previous one leaked, and stained the driveway and garage pretty badly, i think he said he had difficulty getting the pully off, so he just rebuilt it with a seal kit i had bought a few years back.

Purchased new some tires from Jon Leonard in bristol (Orange Dart and Gen. Lee charger), and finally had them installed. Its now 215 down front, 225 in back. Doesnt make as much as a difference as i had hoped, but still looks good and i wont have to inflate the tire every couple of days.

Car has also had a full MOT and service. I Know the rules are different now, but it hasnt been done since Ash Rawson had it for paint. Needed some brake and bearing work.

Next up should be new brakes up front, installation of a TF2 shift kit, and some minor electrical works. Should be at the Nats later this year for a few passes.
Attachments
IMG_20190528_133621192.jpg
IMG_20190528_133621192.jpg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Good Chris look forward to see you and the car again :thumbright:
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Looks good Chris!!! 8-)
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Looking good, Chris!
Come and run heads up with me and Dave at the nats. "Battle of the A bodys" might become a thing! :D
-Jon.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Looks very cool. Are they 15x7s on the rear? If so 245’s fit.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
Derek

Post by Derek »

It's good to see it back out, now you just have to use it.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
68Roadrunner

Post by 68Roadrunner »

It’s looking great Chris,
Hope to see it at the nats.

Richard.👍
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

Super Sloth wrote: Wed Jun 19, 19 3:02 pm Looking good, Chris!
Come and run heads up with me and Dave at the nats. "Battle of the A bodys" might become a thing! :D
Sounds like a plan, what day is that on?
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

ChrisN34 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 19 9:56 pm
Super Sloth wrote: Wed Jun 19, 19 3:02 pm Looking good, Chris!
Sounds like a plan, what day is that on?
Nic and I are only doing the saturday this year. :thumbright:
-Jon.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well done, Chris! Great progress.

I hope to catch up with you at the Nats!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

Slow progress, but finally getting there. Stripped the interior today, gave it a good clean and used a wire wheel on some of the surface rust from the old leaky seals. Bought this stuff like 3 years ago now and only now getting around to fitting it. Not pictured are the dynamat strips that are strategically placed on the floor pan. Annoyingly, i only now discovered the insulation kit i purchased had to left side rear panels, instead of a left and right. Had to flip one over for now, wont ever notice anyway. Tomorrow carpet on, rear inner panels back on, give the seats a good clean and should be all done for now.
Attachments
IMG_20190801_2028422592.jpg
IMG_20190801_2028422592.jpg (163.25 KiB) Viewed 1149 times