Floyd Brothers 70 Challenger

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

Re: Floyd Brothers 70 Challenger

Post by Blue »

Is it a 14” filter Stu? If so I have a dropped base you can use.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Cheers Blue, but it’s 13”. Base on there is 13.25”. :-k
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

Typical, trust Mopar to do something different to the usual standard. Might be possible to mod what you have if you don’t need to lose much.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Blue wrote: Tue May 17, 22 6:59 pm Typical, trust Mopar to do something different to the usual standard.
:lol:

Will try a few UK suppliers, otherwise may have to wait until I need some other import stuff. :?

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu

Post by Stu »

Todays stupid questions… :geek:

Looking at replacing fuel lines, as mentioned in previous posts. Raises some questions, firstly - do I need to use rigid lines from the tank to the engine bay, or are flexible a viable option? First consideration being safety, so advice appreciated. The old rigid line is still attached to the car, but not in use for some reason. No will or want to use that, so planning to remove it and effectively start again.

I’ll be removing the electric pump and going back to mechanical if all goes according to plan. I don’t have a regulator at the moment, do I need one? Where do they go and what are they all about if so… :D

I’m also considering whether it is worth moving to 3/8 lines, rather than my current 5/16. Part of the thought process is that it makes it easier to move to AN fixings with the carb I have requiring banjo fixing at the feed, partly also as I have seen it discussed a few times that it is easier if plans change in the future and I start getting itchy for more power. What do I need to consider?

Also thinking (this may be proper te-watt attack, but bear with me)… does changing the size of line affect fuel economy and / or delivery? Just my simplistic brain thinking bigger pipe, more fluid!? :lol:

Only other thing is, I have a new mechanical pump that I found in Gareth’s old toolbox, a no name part by the looks of it. Do I need to worry about any particular replacement, or should I just whack it on and see what happens?

Priority in all this is safety, so all advice greatly appreciated before I start buying.

Cheers!

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu

Post by Stu »

Just nipped up to my unit to drop some stuff off and some low life Bananarama! have tried to break in. Took a trailer from next door and peeled the door skin back on my unit.

Bananarama! scumbags. Thank the Lord they didn’t get in, but what’s the bets they’ll be back. :angryfire:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

there's some scum about these days for sure, hope they don't come back now they've had a peep inside.
re the fuel line, maybe think about micro bore copper central heating pipe. it comes cheap on a roll from diy stores in both 8mm (5/16") and 10mm (just over 3/8"). if future upgrades are possible use the 10mm, i'm sure AN fittings must be available in metric sizes too . being copper it's easy to bend using a cheap bender off ebay/amazon and is much cheaper than 'proper' fuel line. i've done a couple of cars with it, but i am cheap :thumbright:
neil.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

bigger line doesn't cause you to use more fuel unless you put a bigger carb/motor in front of it
but with a front mounted mechanical pump you are using gravity and the suction of the pump to pull fuel along it against the motion of the car

so if you make it bigger than necessary in theory if you accelerate fast enough the wider column of fuel in the wider pipe has more mass and will in theory take more effort from the pump to come forwrd during that acceleration phase

unless you going racing standard size is probably best

fuel pump is a fuel pump... provided it was made after the advent of e10 in the US i.e last 20 years or so i see no problem

you need a gasket and 2 bolts and a pushrod of acceptible ware characteristics
bolt it on
if the drive is not worn or missing it should pump....

copper is cheaper and will work but automotiver cupro-nickle or the steel stuff in there at the mo. is potentially less likely to work harden and crack due to being designed for this application

My VW van had a section of copper pipe in the brakes i had no problem for years but a MOT chap had an issue with it and i had to replace it for a pass, i'm quoteing his reasoning above not my own. i.e was not designed for the job... or if it was he wasn't happy that it was.

a mechanical pump, unless deliberatly set up for performance (stronger springs bigger valves) should be self regulating and happy with a dead head system direct into the carb. in this case a regulator is just a restriction to flow.

when motor runs slow pressure is lower than when it runs fast so you are not hammering the needle valve in your carb 100% of the time as you would be if you had an electric pump which is ON all the time.

mechanical pump life is measured in years and 1000000s of miles not 1000s of hours of just being switched on.
less to go wrong

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

3/8”sender and 3/8” Kunifer hard line for the front to back line. Copper fuel line is illegal for racing, possibly due to vibration causing work hardening and possible cracking, not sure. A stock fuel pump won’t need a regulator but a high performance bolt together pump such as a Carter competition will. They produce about 16 psi which will overcome the Holley needle and seat and cause flooding. You use a regulator between the pump and the carb to knock that pressure down to a carb friendly 5-6psi. No downside to going to a 3/8 line, 5/16 is marginal for a V8 once you start making some power. Any given engine will only burn the fuel it needs so an improved supply won’t alter that.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Increased security on the unit, they’ll be back for your tools.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thanks Chaps, some good info to digest there.

Sounds like I don’t need to worry about anything other than a stock mechanical pump then. Seems a sensible time to upgrade to 3/8 line though, as suspected.

So, 3/8 line, no regulator, stock mechanical pump, rigid line from tank to engine bay, nothing else desperate to consider? :read2:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Pete

Post by Pete »

If you can get a Fuel Filter after the tank but before the pump, it would be good - Protect the Pump and the Carb that way, but more work...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Stu

Post by Stu »

Ok cool. That seems sensible, I had been wondering about filters, but wasn’t sure.

Just looking at senders and trying to figure out what I need.

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

I never use a filter before a mechanical pump, far less restriction on the pressure side. These are cheap enough to change on your annual service,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302611699291. One of the vendors at the pod usually has a bucket of chrome ones for about £5 each so I usually grab a couple.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I bow to Blue's experience on all things mechanical pumpage...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God