1966 Barracuda X's 2

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Bozwell

Re: 1966 Barracuda

Post by Bozwell »

I still have the Barracuda but not done a lot with it apart from covering the bodywork with Duck-oil and changing the car cover every year.

plan is to get the S800 rolling, knock down the garage and have a workshop built in the back garden.

anyway, the S800. Thought you may like to see how it's getting on.

and to prove the vents aren't just for show

making the axle wont be easy as it will be a hybrid of Ford parts modified to take the standard S800 wheels.

fitted one door. considering they have been off for about 8 years it fitted a treat.

window is plastic, and the home made door panel

going through the wiring which is taking a while.

The rear brakes were proving to be a bit of a hurdle. I wasn't happy with my original plan of the Cortina P100 drum brakes. (came with the axle bits I acquired) New drums are proving impossible to find and are really heavy anyway. so a rethink and hours of internet searching and I have a plan.

Mk 2 MX5 calipers are easily available and only £75 new. the discs are Honda Civic circa 2002 and again cheap and easily available.

Bit of machining to the disc.and it'll fit. The calipers are quite small and it all fits under the standard wheels. result.

I know it's a lot of work just to be able to fit the standard wheels and will probably spend little time with the standard wheels on anyway.

it's very tight but will work. Just need to make the brackets to weld to the axle.

loads of clearance with the 13 inch alloys.

mygasser

Post by mygasser »

you know there are off the shelf disc brake kits for ford atlas axles that fit 13" wheels don't you? you'd just need to redrill the shafts and discs to suit your pcd. rally design keep it all on the shelf. https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php
neil.
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

cheers Neil. i did search kits but found they wouldn't work and actually quite expansive.

PCD on the S800 is 5x130.(5 X 5.1 inches) same as a Porsche. The reason for using the Cortina P100 half-shafts is that they are 5x127 so easy to re-drill to the 5x130 I require. The P100 shafts required the P100 axle ends for the much larger bearings

I doubt i could re-drill standard Atlas shafts for the large PCD plus there would not be enough of a flat surface for the wheel to sit on.

The Civic discs have a large bell and this gives plenty of surface for the wheel to sit on.

I have a set of 15inch Porsche wheels i bought cheap ages ago as track wheels.

autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Wow Epic 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Keep the updates coming !!!!!!!!!!!!
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

that's a big pcd :shock: the p100 shafts have a bigger diameter flange so as you say much more suited to your car :thumbright:
neil.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Really enjoying this thread.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Great work, Barry!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

small update

prop-shaft was stroke of luck. non standard vehicle at work having a different gearbox fitted required a different prop-shaft. the old (but quite new) prop just happens to be the right length and flange type to fit my S800. a deal was done with the prop in exchange for a little machining job. :) (the longer one now not required was going to be cut up to be a mock up prop, it's from an E Type Jag)
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

that's a result :thumbright:
i had similar luck with a propshaft when i put my last mk3 zephyr together. i fitted the mustang 351 cleveland and c6 where i wanted them. when i mounted the lsd cherokee rear axle i moved it back in the car about an inch to centre the wheels in the arches and the prop' from the mustang was the right length just needing a hybrid uj to connect to the jeep diff flange :D
we get lucky sometimes.
neil.
MattH

Post by MattH »

That's looking great, love these old Japanese classics.
There is an S800 not far from me tucked away in a warm garage.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

MattH wrote: Mon Dec 07, 20 1:10 pm That's looking great, love these old Japanese classics.
There is an S800 not far from me tucked away in a warm garage.
haha, shame Mandie doesn't share your tastes. I remember last year at the Woolmer Green show you were looking at a Toyota Crown or similar and she thought you were proper mental. (i quite like them too but don't tell anyone)
Bozwell

Re: 1966 Barracuda X's 2

Post by Bozwell »

S800 running at idle

ignore all the noises it's the bonnet rattling, it actually sound really sweet. still needs a full tune yet so no revving too much till that is sorted. warms up ok, charges fine and the fan cuts in and out as expected.

in the mean time. why just have one Barracuda when you can have two.

one has much nicer chrome that the other so i can swap parts around to make a nice cruiser and a the other a bit of a racy old nail.
Attachments
DSCF6843.JPG
DSCF6843.JPG (63.02 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

You were in there quickly! Congratulations on your purchase!!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

will be pulling the dash out soon to tidy, get rid of the defunct aircon and get everything working as it should. was interesting driving it in the dark with candles for headllights and no dash lights.

anyway. there was this annoying clunk when accelerating and decelerating which turned out to be the cover for the ashtray in the center consul.

traced to the plastic sliders being fitted wrong and now the lid has a nice friction to it.

found the obligatory American coin. Did you know it is Good Luck to have a coin in the car? i have seen some cars over the years with coins in places they could not have got there unless placed. one even taped to the back of the glove box.

anyway, i have taped the coin back in which will confuse the next owner when it comes apart.
Attachments
DSCF6844.JPG
DSCF6844.JPG (95.44 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
DSCF6845.JPG
DSCF6845.JPG (87.49 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
DSCF6846.JPG
DSCF6846.JPG (65.48 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
DSCF6847.JPG
DSCF6847.JPG (54.06 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

My first Barracuda many years ago had the ashtray clunk, I'd forgotten all about that!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”