HMU 923W

Post old photos of road cars here.

Moderator: Moderators

Les Szabo

HMU 923W

Post by Les Szabo »

Missus just found this old shot of my 340 4spd Cuda......don't know really what possessed me to paint it yellow from the original colour, guess it was the Pollens!....didn't look bad though....I was never really a fender tag type of person....I think Dunc bought this>

I nearly wiped an old boy out with this car in a pub car park trying to do a drag race with DP in his Buick :oops:...lucky there was a phone box there he could run into!!

Les
Attachments
YELLOWCUDA.jpg
YELLOWCUDA.jpg (82.17 KiB) Viewed 8729 times
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

did it have the nice brown interior, and was met brown orig ????

if so that car nearly killed me and a mate twice :shock:

a little story,

back in the day when i was really hunting this mopar cars/parts
i was told of a 340 4 speed cuda locked away in london by a guy that did not own it the price wait for it £4,500 340 4 speed matching nos leather interior mtr not running needing tlc........... i refused it to much money :roll:

1 month later the owner contacted me, i have a 340 cuda do you want to buy it 3k............ hell yes.

so me and groucho headed to london in my trusty 528i bmer and an a frame in the boot found the guys house and he took us to a load of old lockups opened the doors and bang there she was pushed it out and could not believe it this car looked great some parts to the mtr in the trunk i was horned so we struck a deal than the guy went home get the paperwork... loads of it, so on the ball come on grouch lets hook this sucker up before he gets back and changes his mind,

so deal done we head of home i get groucho to sit in it till we know it tows ok over the thames bridge past madame tausauds etc etc grouch sat in it doing nothing but takin in the sights, we get to the m40 and grouch joins mi in the beemer we trundle upthe mway then Bananarama! me the cuda drags the bmw sideways accross all the carriageways all i can see is the traffick smokin its tyres nose hittin the black stuff so they dont wipe us out, we ended up nearly against the centre armco so turn it round on to the hard shoulder get out check the a frame over bit of adjustment etc and trundle of along the hard shoulder join the m way circa 45mph and bang the twat does it again more smokin tires tootin swearin etc and we are accross all the lanes again so back to the hard shoulder me n grouch empty our underpants inthe grass and throw the a frame in the bm boot put a toe rope on the cuda and tow him the 200 miles home shttin meself that he forgets to brake or steer seein as he did about 40 miles just sat in it before not having to do anythin cept play with himself, so we ultimately get it home i spend the next few weeks gettin it up runnin mot,d etc and smoked it a little while, but it drove Bananarama! put me of e bods a bit i had always had b,s and they drive much better,
anyway i had the vanishing point bug got it painted white and put a sixpack glass hood on it minted it and sold it for around £4,500 a few weeks later so not much titty in that one,, it then had a life cut up inside as a music car the guy had me maybe 2 yrs later convert it to auto then it ended up abroad doin the music gig maybe iyanapa or somewhere, it then endeed up back here a trader got it, was still white and rough as hell but think he sold it abroad for circa £19,000 i missed the boat there,
some great stories surround some of these mtrs................
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

...and I always reckoned the 340 'Cudas wre the best drivers of the lot...I reckon Les must have thrown it across a roundabout or two! ;)
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Yes mate, thats the car......ran it just twice, mid 14's I think down the track. Didn't wanna do anything to it really as too stock, and didn't fancy crunching the gears down the 1/4 with a bit of hp put in it....saw the other '71 auto by then and wanted it as it was on 13.4's which was quite quick for then and I had plans for it!!!

Bought browny from the late Tony Dickson after someone ordered it and didn't pay for it. We did have to put a proper set of 10:5:1 pistons in it courtesy of Mr. Dickson as it came with '72 8:5:1 slugs....thought it was a bit slow....

Only minor bit of hassle I had with it was that the linkages must've got all crossed up while I was at a set of lights once, and I couldn't get a gear....got underneath, had a fiddle, and hey presto back in action.

The bit in the car park which was cobble stoned, was a bit silly of me really, as launches on that stuff witha 4spd ain't the cleverest thing to do.

Course a bit too many revs....and apparently it went round about 3 times in a circle, I was told after, as I didn't know much about what happened, except this old boy running for his life into the phone box.....one way to empty a pub quick!

great times, oh to be young again eh ;)

It drove perfect Ivor, at least while I had it, must've been the guy I sold it to who did the roundabouts with it ;)

Les
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Here's a pic I found in its original livery....
Attachments
BROWN CUDA 340.jpg
BROWN CUDA 340.jpg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
db

Post by db »

Thanks, great stories you two!! :happy1:
No-one will believe you...
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

I remember going and picking that up with you and pretty boy Steve from the docks he pick up a coronet Rt if I remember right I think it broke down on the motorway on the way home but not a big problem didn't stop me thinking it was the b***ox beautiful car :thumbright:
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

No Dave, I may have gone to docks with you to pick up steve's Coronet, think that was the 6-pack one?.........That Cuda was bought from Tony Dickson, he already had it at his house which is where I saw it when there buying parts one night....that was before he moved to Gasoline Alley.
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

that's right Les I remember now it was the same car that you bought and Tony's drove it home he had it up for sale and you bought it after we picked it up and steve's car was the six pack one
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts