Clickety-bloody-click ! Engine noise.

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Clickety-bloody-click ! Engine noise.

Post by Garp »

Hi all,
Obviously, the day before Brooklands, a noise that annoys occurs.
It's a clickety click either from the pass side rocker cover or below somewhere.
Oil pressure is good. Oil level is good and oil shows no signs of anything metallic. Engine not overheating. Cannot hear it once I've got a bit of throttle in, but that could just it being drowned out by the V8.
I'm hoping it's a manifold leak but it sounds metallic.
I've taken a small video. Can I upload here.
Any guesses ?
Not keen on taking a drive to Brooklands and dropping a valve en-route.
:P
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Garp

Post by Garp »

....... sticky lifter apparently???
:help:
mustangbooks

Post by mustangbooks »

See my post on the '70-74 Challenger board' facebook group - I had the same thing, and found it's a common problem, and can be (at least temporarily) fixed with the MMO product I linked to. Doubt you'll get it by tomorrow though!
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

I had a metallic ticking noise I described on here.

Lots of suggestions, then someone (I think Blue or Dave999) suggested it could be a pin hole in the rocker gasket. It was - even though I couldn't believe them at the time as it sounded so much like a stuck lifter or something metal grinding away.
Pete

Post by Pete »

A blown header gasket can sound like a lifter - you can locate it with a small piece of pipe used like a stethoscope...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Garp

Post by Garp »

At the mo, a sticky lifter seems to be what I think it is.
Gaskets are definitely good.
Hoping a good run up the M4 to Brooklands tomorrow will cure it.
Need to find some "gunk" to put in there to sort it.
Can I ask - what is the ramification of a stuck lifter ?
Less compression as less intake or less exhaust - therefore dirty burn ?
Plan is to get her going in the morning- burn up to the meet place on the M4 and if anything looks dodgy (no pun intended) or she sounds like a gypsey with a supermarket trolley, I'll bin it off and go home (and cry).
Having had several 70's VW's and dead scared of dropping a valve as I've done several times before.
:
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Sometimes a simple oil change will help,if it is a 383 or 440 they are usually noisy anyway,good luck hope ya find it :thumbright:
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Pete wrote:A blown header gasket can sound like a lifter - you can locate it with a small piece of pipe used like a stethoscope...
Check this first it can sound remarkably like a lifter.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Had the same thing on mine a couple of years ago, was like that for a while during trying to locate the cause. Changed the rocker cover gasket, even though it looked perfectly ok and problem solved
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Captain Chaos wrote:
Pete wrote:A blown header gasket can sound like a lifter - you can locate it with a small piece of pipe used like a stethoscope...
Check this first it can sound remarkably like a lifter.
Yes it can, but it sounds like cast exhaust manifolds ,and those usually don't leak like that, but still,that has happened to me,and I SHOULD go check mine,I have lost a few header bolts over the years :roll:
MattH

Post by MattH »

My sticky lifter sound that I thought was a exhaust gasket ended up being the wrong sized cast manifolds. They were 360 manifolds on a 318 so the ports were too big and didn't seal very well.

I also had what I thought was lifter noise, then thought it was a big end but finally solved it as a cracked flex plate.
You can see the flex plate without removing the trans, just need a torch and remove the dust cover at the front of the trans. Worth checking, and maybe tighten the 4 tiny bolts that hold the convertor to the flex plate. if they are just loose it will make a tick noise, and Demon James discovered.
Best to catch it before they snap off and you have to remove all to drill out and replace the sheared bolts.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Don't suppose you still have those 360 manifolds do you matt?

I'm beginning to fall out of love with my headers....
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Garp

Post by Garp »

Cheers Matt - the more I hear it, the more likely I think it could be a bolt on the transmission. Just did 150 mile round trip to Brooklands on Saturday at average 70 mph - car performed faultlessly.
I'm guessing, if it was an "expensive noise", something would've snapped, cracked or given way on that trip.
Will jack it up and check both the nuts and the flex plate. Here's hoping it's just a loose nut.
Cheers
:roll:
Blue

Post by Blue »

I had an intermittent tapping noise on the Barracuda, although the flex plate bolts were tight they were actually a knats knacker too long and weren't gripping the flex plate. Ground 'em down a bit and problem solved so check that too.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Garp

Post by Garp »

Blue wrote:I had an intermittent tapping noise on the Barracuda, although the flex plate bolts were tight they were actually a knats knacker too long and weren't gripping the flex plate. Ground 'em down a bit and problem solved so check that too.
You Geezers have cracked it !
So, I jacked her up today and 3 out of 4 bolts on the flex plate were loose enough to turn by hand (only the "big" one was tight ????).
The bolts themselves showed no signs of having been hitting anything to make the noise, but the minute I got underneath and touched the plate, it tapped against the converter and I knew by that tell-tale sound that I'd heard all weekend, I'd found the noise.

Never underestimate the knowledge pool of a forum like this!
Thanks to all who flagged this up - as you know, majority rules, and it certainly ruled the day on this one.
:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: