Post by Dave999 »

PS
Local sources of HEI modules from seat and peugeots

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... a006623051
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Steve

Re: No Spark

Post by Steve »

Thank you as always gents. I need a coffee to just slowly read through your stuff Dave as it's really important that I understand your advice.

I'm not 100% sure what I've done but she's running again now..... as if by magic. I noticed through my 'tinkering ' that the distributor cap has seen better days and the leads were a bit tired to. There was a bit of furring in the terminals in the cap so I've changed the leads (cap in the loft so will get that later) and a new rotor arm. I've been using the new HT lead for my tests so can't be that.

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth as I want to find out what it was. I'm going to put the original HEI unit back on and see if it starts. Wish me luck.....
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i added a few commas and full stops so it now makes a little more sense :)

it could however all be rubbish.....as i say just a hypothesis

Dave
Steve

Post by Steve »

It's NEVER rubbish Dave. You are very knowledgeable and helpful, it's just your brain is more than a few rungs up the ladder from mine. I need to sit down and slowly go through the great advice you give on many threads just to make sure I understand what you are saying and it's not going to waste...thanks again!

I can't fathom this one out...I've put the old HEI unit in and it works fine. Purring like a kitten again. Realistically, the only things I've changed are the plug leads and adjusted the reluctor gap but I'm really not sure that was the cause. Oh well, I'm pleased she's running again and every day is a school day as they say.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Dave, that link to HEI units is great. I didn't realise that they were as universally used in European vehicles. I know quality has always been a buzz word with these units and everything I've read suggests US made is better. What are your thoughts on the quality of those in your link? Would you say Lucas would be a safe bet or anything that is original equipment rather than OE spec?

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

intermoto cheap and chearful

hella i think we can say YES

lucas "prince of darkness" now owned by some even bigger mutlinational, i'm sure they will be fine so who's betting that the lot come from the same factory anway

i have found that 7 quid to 30 quid work fine

but i tend to towards a £20+ my thinking is, if the company was happy enough to put their name on the box, then they take a bit of pride in their work

No name no brand is always a lottery

as far as i can tell they are all the same tech. based on a motorola chip https://www.futurlec.com/Motorola/MC3334Ppr.shtml

you can of course get exactly the same CHIP that is hidden in one of these in a jaguar v12 or 6 module for £400 if you want... :)

the application diagram here shows a zener diode on the negative feed

so i probably have it wrong in my first post

https://www.futurlec.com/Motorola/MC3334P.shtml

Dave
Attachments
hei facts High Energy Ignition.doc
further reading
(46 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Fantastic Dave, and thank you again for all your help with this

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

if it stopped working
and now it works

1) poor connection in the power feed, potentially corrosion on a connector works when damp etc
2) igntion switch fault
3) heat driven fault in the pickup works when cold shorts out when hot
4) orginal HEI on its way out

Dave
Steve

Post by Steve »

Gotcha Dave, all stuff to add to the list if it does it again.

Just out of interest, the reluctor gap was (relatively speaking) quite big. Should be .008" but was .016.". I know that doesn't sound much but it's twice what I should be. I'm guessing that wouldn't have helped and I'm wondering if the new leads, combined with this adjustment and a good clean up of earthing points etc, as a whole, has solved the issue?

Also, during my checks, I have found that the (original ) starter to starter relay cables are looking pretty old and tired. I would like to change them. Do you have any recommendations as to the best cable to use or maybe even improve on original spec??