ATF?

Moderator: Moderators

MrNorm

ATF?

Post by MrNorm »

I need a couple of litres of ATF (Dexron) for my convertible top, I'd rather use mineral oil (Dexron II?)), what's a good source for this - this is light duty use so don't need Rolls Royce of ATF, but also don't necessarily want an unknown brand unless someone recommends it.....Thanks!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Dave999

Re: ATF?

Post by Dave999 »

don't think they have made dexron II for a long time....

mineral based power steering fluid might work

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

eBay, just bought some type F. Same seller is listing Dexron 2.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Thanks guys, I did find a number of places selling mineral Dexron-compatible ATF, actually even Halfords had it, plus loads on ebay of brands I have never heard of, so was just wondering what brands people used, and whether there is a good value place to get it. Maybe it's all basically the same so get the cheapest you can, maybe you get what you pay for so use brand x?? :-k :-k
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

I Have used the halfords own brand one myself. Does the job i suppose. Its cheap and pretty easy to get a hold of. Think they do a comma branded one that is suitable for both Dexron II & III as well as their own one that is branded as ATF and trans fluid (i think).
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

The closer you are to death the more alive you are
Pete

Post by Pete »

I put GULF "F" Type in the Challenger's Transmission - that would work for you.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

I too prefer to use a brand name I have heard of but in this instance I'm not so sure it's important. There will be a minimum spec for type F which any supplier will have to meet so for a light duty use such as a convertible top, the cheapest should be no less suitable than the most expensive IMO. For heavy duty use the more expensive brands will usually exceed the minimum spec so thats a valid reason to use it.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Well for once I'm in a position to say I already sorted it!! :shock: (partly as posted in Aug :oops: )! I found some (IIRC) Comma mineral ATF locally which is just the ticket, I finished rebuilding the hydraulic pump, connected all the new hoses and rams filled it and tested it (all out of the car, previous experience from the mess you can make doing it :D ) then installed in car, connected a battery and now have a working convertible top.

No, really......
Pete

Post by Pete »

...you mean you connected a battery???? :shock:

:thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

No, obviously there was a lot more to it than that, it was very complicated...... :oops: :P
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

MrNorm wrote: Mon Feb 04, 19 12:28 pm Well for once I'm in a position to say I already sorted it!! :shock: (partly as posted in Aug :oops: )! I found some (IIRC) Comma mineral ATF locally which is just the ticket, I finished rebuilding the hydraulic pump, connected all the new hoses and rams filled it and tested it (all out of the car, previous experience from the mess you can make doing it :D ) then installed in car, connected a battery and now have a working convertible top.

No, really......
That might not sound like much to some on-lookers but knowing the struggles you've had of late, that's great news =D> :thumbright: \:D/ :salute:

just the engine to sort now? :-k :lol:
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

I vote we all come around for a day and see what we can do.

You supply the hobnobs and I’m in !!
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Don't tempt me!! If I could actually find a day to start with I'd be happy!! :shock: that's currently the biggest issue. as well as having had extension built and reconfiguring the garage... (Anyway judging by the speed you work Will an hour or two should be enough :lol: :lol: )

Yes the engine is the largest remaining job, though not the only, and I plan to address that last of all. Getting the glass/winder mechanisms back in is probably the next sizable job. I'm contemplating buying some new side glass (I thought I posted about that but now find i didn't!) but it's the adjustments that I don't relish!! Probably a PITA, one of those jobs where no substitute for experience (like replacing a convertible top...oh wait, I did that.... :oops: )
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

to do the glass right

you need the front wings on
positioned so the shut line with the door is correct
when the door shut line at the B pillar is correct
but you need to take into account front grill and hood positioning to get the wings in the right position.
hard to say if its start with the door or start with the grill and hood.

it is well worth buying new plastic rivet thingsys this is a 4 part thingo made of nylon a nylon stud and barrel with 2 rubber washers that holds the window into the channel

pushing the stud through splays the barrel and they won't come out again in theory..

not sure if you can get them new i ended up making 1 working one from some bits and using a bit of scrap and a brass bolt to rpelace the other

there are also cardboard and rubber gaskets that you can get new, to hold the window into the channel. i used bits of recent dodge truck on mine, window frame "flocked" slidey channels and plastic holders rubber gasket for window base as i could get that new and obviously the last aussie one made would have been in 1982...

if you have 1/4 vents the process is harder due to more adjustment and moving parts.

frame adjustment at front edge of door is a knack that can be acquired stud in pushes frame forward stud out pushes frame backwards
offset cam on stud hidden inside door waggles top leading edge of frame in and out in an offside nearside kinda way , 1 full cycle every 360* of stud turn.

back of window done by adjusting channels inside back of door. at their mounts at the door frame base and up by the belt line. stops door window going inside rear passenger window when you wind it up.

its a long but not overly annoying task. keeps you occupied but provides obvious improvements as you work you way through..

Oh yeah
if you can't get you door locks (pull push,ding-er) to work or the door handle just doesn't activate the lock
the c shaped mount on the back of your exterior door handle is potentially interfering with the rod that goes to the lock get that sorted before the window goes in
c mount/clamp thing works just as well slightly clocked one way to avoid this issue...does not need to be parallel with the base of the handle aperture.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying