Moderator: Moderators

Dave999

Base Model RT off the top of my head

Post by Dave999 »

Well i can do my own RT can't I

Base model RT
official name VH Valiant Charger R/T
slang name base model or 2 bbl R/T
mid price model specification with disk brakes and a High output 2 barrel carbed engine, single exhaust 218 BHP (red engine) over the standard 2bbl 203BHP (blue) single outlet exhaust manifold

this engine is known as
the Pacer engine (VH pacer was a essentially 4 door charger)
the 265 HP engine
also used in 770 luxury models as a lighter but similar power output (deliverd in a more abrupt way) option alongside the 318

engine was red with black crinkle paint rocker cover
exhaust was special dual outlet cast iron manifold with 2 foot log extractoresque secondary pipes into a fat single system with pea shooter tail pipe with trim upsweep added by a dealer if you wanted

fit one of these exhausts to a motor with proper extractors and peak HP is reduced by about 5% i.e they are quite good

options included special " high Impact" colour and basic stripe kit no black bonnet unless you asked. different interior different dash module and the base model dash pad.
Interior included high back buckets with recliner and bucket like deep profile rear seat without armrests on side cards or mid seat. this rear seat rear cabin setup is unique to the RT
ashtrays footwells boot and bonnet lights deleted

interior trim uses US sourced hardware 68 A body door handles on the inside dash fittings nuts bolts screws knobs wiper setup etc would not be out of place in a US mopar of similar vintage

exterior door handles used same casting as US barracuda and challenger with slightly different lock barrel mounting and trim. obvioulsy rear door versions from pacer have no lock so for remote unlock cuda would be ideal.... baffle you US mopar owning friends

radiator was 3 core and the stonetray/airdam at the front had a more open profile. use of this pressing became random in later models some got big opening some got small

they came with alloy look steel wheels No chrome trim blacked out window frames the "fuel" embossed flip top fuel cap as seen on some 68-73 B and E bodies.

they should have had 1/4 window flaps and fixed rear windows
if they had aircon they should have tint and top tint to screen
aircon air-flow/airtemp package brought pop out rear windows and deleted the 1/4 windows in the front. pop out windows for RT and early VH were framed until feb 72

most VH RTs had the early style ignition lock and barrel

they had a special 2 tone horn RT horns

they got a 2 spoke tuff wheel with unique centre

option on a 3 spoker from a higher spec RT
option in W35 ROH alloy jelly bean (slot mag) mag wheels

the gearbox was the venerable hard as nails but as much use a chocolate fireguard Borgwarner 3 speed manual ( 2 second gears a reverse and 1:1 ratio top)

clutch was single plate
steering box was 20:1 ratio

diff was 3:23:1 which could be optioned at 2.92:1 if you insisted
Sure grip was an option

They borrowed the small square driving lights from the high spec luxury 770 model.
and you got headlight and driving light relays rather than have the full current go through the switch.

these lights used a hella lens and reflector with a chrysler australia produced bucket and surround. all a bit low quality nobody makes spares...if you have a spare set they will easily pay for a holiday on the costa brava

a bracket for a brake bias module was included but you didn't get one
you did not get a servo either but you did get the master cylinder with the cut off safty piston in it. The thing that disables your brakes either front or back when you bleed them

grill and trim was black but the centre was painted red it was a carry over from the VG pacer and similar Grills were used on aussie built hillmans (same with the square headlamps used on hillmans mk 1 ford capri and holden torrana (viva with Oz front and minimium of 3.3 liters)

SOA options were basically anything you could get to fit provided you could get the dealer and factory to do it hence 5 rt chargers with H51 Aircon and one with an Automatic BW35 gearbox the BW35 was an austrlian tuff version of the box used in rovers and stags which means you can fit a Laycock LH overdrive if you want to break it

you could option an RT right up to Race Homologation Spec.

Australians often use the engine option code when naming the model

EG a homologated race spec charger would offcially be called
VH valiant Charger RT E38 with Track Pack.....snappy

Pacers you may be interested in
E34
E35
VH

other R/Ts/related you may be interested in
E37
E38
E48
E49
E55 not an RT but it has a 340 yay

Mine is wrong in a number of ways

H51 aircon most missing
no tint to screen
no tint to side doors
has 1/4 vents
2.92:1 diff ratio
has 3 spoke tuff wheel
has W35 style wheels
has 4 speed Borgwarner not so hard as nails single rail box (like a capri box)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Interesting to see some of the crossover parts there, Dave. Might be another source for bits if we get stuck. Because ours is RHD, I guess it shares a lot in common with Aussie's. Front end, obviously.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

My guess is most if not all of the front end will follow the exact pattern of a VF or VG.

the only divergence from this may be your brakes 1 pot or 4 pot...JohnRs barracuda has 4 pot and is a US built car same with TonyO's I think. This may mean you have different caliper mounting to the aussie cars. i belive the South african cars used locally produced under license from US company to aussie spec Parts. hence Girlock branded Kelsey hayse style 1 pot sliders Borgwarner diffs and Email licenced carter carbs and alternators

steering setup is the same steering box is the same.
draglink idler and pitman should all work i.e are all the mirror image of the US LHD parts and face forwards where the US part faced backwards in the case of the pitman arm i think (maybe the other way round)

balljoints may depend on year or original engine size i think

my guess is any aussie running gear/ power train would bolt right in if it came from a 69 or 70 valiant.

they are all A bodies with slightly different wheel base.

i.e barracuda width from '66 to '70 floor pan and track got a bit wider in 71 with the VH

the Aussies think they invented the RHD steering setup. i think they were just the biggest customer of it
It was used on Lancers and Plymouth valiants at least back to 1960/61 cos i have NOS ball nut screw and sector from a 61 RHD lancer in the garage.....looks like it was the steering equivalent of flu and spread to any Chrysler factory when needed.

and anything you find of a US nature that doesn't fit the aussies must have modified to fit at some time because they had 225 215 245 265 sixes and 273-360 V8 engines in their A bodies
with gearboxes up to the TF727 wedged in to later models (71 onwards have a bigger tunnel and no folded seam at the entrance, a big hammer is needed for earlier cars to get the small block bellhousing in without rubbing

Dave
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dave, are those wheels standard equipment?

I really like that. ;)
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

standard on some, a factory option on others
they come in 5 on 4 inch pdc and 5 on 4.5 inch PDC and are 6.5 inches wide
although recorded a 7 inches in most literature

Option W35 covered two sets of wheels....this one "ROH alloy" was available most of the time the other was called a Sankey Benson and is quite rare so i can't find a photo

ROH the company (still make wheels in Oz)

these were standard on Track Pack RT chargers and a option on any RT or Pacer.

mine have been re machined and adapted to fit a ford falcon i.e the centres were bored out further...hence i have an issue keeping centre caps.

Dave
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ROH made the 12 slot steel wheels as fitted to XY, XA and XB GT Falcons.

They also made the optional Sports wheel that Ford offered for XA and XB Falcons.

Usually, the Ford wheels are marked on the inner rim.

Dave, Ford changed from a 2.5 inch hub to a 2.75 inch hub in 1974.

The Chrysler kidney beans look just like the good old Aungers.

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

That hub change explains my hubcap problem

Aungers look good

wonder if i should black the centres of mine......

Mmmm

i'm amazed i can't find a Sankey Benson someone must have taken a photo of one

Dave
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Magnums
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dragmags
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Don't you love those old ads! I was working in motor magazine production at the time and the style is so evocative of the era...can't smoke a cigar in an an ad now I shouldn't think...
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:D ;)
MattH

Post by MattH »

Clive, those 5 slot wheels are factory ROH's. My Charger has them on the fender tag.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car