fuel cell install

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

the dodge

fuel cell install

Post by the dodge »

taking inspiration from the great Kev "lord of the small blocks" Bulmer ive decided to install a fuel cell in the tyre well in my 67 dart
ive been looking on ebay (and the mma site aswell as other places) for ages to try and obtain a suitable fuel cell, well my luck (and my bid!!) held up this week and i won a new and unused jaz 8 us gal fuel cell (about 6 3/4 imp gal) for a very good price (the bloke had advertised it as a 5 us gal fuel cell, but i knew different) so today i went down the lock up and made myself a mock up out of cardboard, there are 2 reasons for this,
A/ to confirm my measurements are correct
& B/ im going to give it the bloke who is going to make the real thing so he can see what is what

a few pics below of my handy work, any comments or words of advice are welcome as im sure its not going to be as straight forward as i would like, especially the plumbing of the fuel lines, ive looked at a few pictures of members engine bays and most seem to have the bulkhead connector in the fender near the front of the car, any reason for this as i would have thought it would save on pipe if it was nearer the firewall end of the fender?

cheers
ticking away the moments that make up a dull day, you fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.

no car - buts its gotta be a mopar!
Blue

Post by Blue »

I've been involved in a few, it's a pretty straightforward job really. Are you fitting an electric pump or using the stock mechanical? Are you sure a 7 gallon tank gives you enough range? I replaced my 12 gallon cell with a 16 last year due to the fact that there's hardly any petrol stations left in this part of the world these days. The reason for running the fuel line under the wing and through the inner fender is to keep it as far away as possible from exhaust heat. If you are plumbing with Aeroquip hose, try to plan the system using as few fittings as possible, 'cos they are what really ramp the cost up.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

good luck with it mate, i think tank was thinking of this lol, you and tim are going to have some interesting races at the nats this year.
Gringo

Post by Gringo »

Hmmm... 6 3/4 gallons, 10 or so to the gallon once you've done bit more fiddling with the motor, realistic range probably 60 miles (if you don't get stuck in traffic). Think I'd go bigger. Still, looks good... :thumbright:
the dodge

Post by the dodge »

yeah range is something i was concerned about, at the moment i probably get around 12mpg maybe a bit more, i will probably have to carry a full fuel can with me at all times just to be safe

im fitting a holley fuel pump & regulator, aeroquip fittings & hoses, ive had a look at earls & speedflow and they do look pricey
ticking away the moments that make up a dull day, you fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.

TyreFryer

Post by TyreFryer »

Have you looked on Summit's site? they sell their own brand fittings, pumps and regulators and they are much cheaper. I bought a complete Summit kit (plus a pressure gauge) like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-P ... mage=large for the Challenger (incidently the fuel system is going to be up for sale shortly as I'm going back to the stock setup ;) )
Martin Walker
SteveCase

Post by SteveCase »

These are a good source over here, do 'over the phone order/delivery too' :thumbright:

http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/intro.html
the dodge

Post by the dodge »

cheers for the info

:thumbright: