FAST Mustang

It's not Mopar, but we like it

Moderator: Moderators

Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Yep basically what we have here is a very trick out an out race car as with the Hemi, with race components, but without race weight/suspension/appearance saddled with standard bodies and with "standard tyres" ;). Basically 8 sec "proper" race cars as you and me would see them with 14" slicks and all the rest.

The real trick are those rear tyres as has been said, no matter how much power you take away from the initial hit through trick parts/retards etc, 1.52 60's is impossible with REAL polyglass tyres as I see it, (never tried it :) ), we are only doing 1.4's with 14" slicks at those et's. My 9.96 was a 1.45 I think with a total driver weight of approx 2990lbs.

How about a similar series here, guess we'd have to find the company/s who makes those special tyres, wonder how much they would cost.

credit to the drivers though, they've sorted it, and very impressive to the average fan, but when you understand whats really going on, well maybe not quite so amazing to me anyway.

If you could only use std displacement/CR ratios, suspension parts etc, then we'd have a true series but guess that would be dull for people with 11 sec et's or similar.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Here ya go Les

Not quite as strict as the FAST series and nowhere near as well subscribed - seems over here you're either a racer or a 'rivet-counter' - only a handful keen on mixing those two aspects of this hobby :scratch:
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

well that would be interesting if lots got involved and had a serious attempt at making their standard cars go max out within the rules using only brain power on how to set the car up. I'm sure there's stats for most of the cars of what they ran in stock form as a figure to improve on.

that takes out the who's got the most money for the best parts in Drag Racing as with other sports.

And I guess your last comment is right, this would be great if it developed into something big, you could still be a "Real" Racer, as you don't have to run 8's to be classed as that. Getting your standard 14.0 sec car as quoted down to say 12's would be a mean feat and harder than just bolting on big slicks/mega heads/cubes and the rest.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Les Szabo wrote:If you could only use std displacement/CR ratios, suspension parts etc, then we'd have a true series but guess that would be dull for people with 11 sec et's or similar.
No they do that too.....Pure Stock, or Factory Stock
http://www.purestockdrags.com/
http://www.fastraces.org/members/fastra ... enDocument
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

just goes to show you how long I've been out of it all :(
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Well I've re-read some of the posts and articles and am now a bit wiser after watching the live feed from bangshift racing and have come to the conclusion that its probably all done with electronic timing retards, giveaway on the mustang is that his main body on the distributor is MSD, they probably have it computer controlled to give around 20deg advance on the launch and slowly feed it in as you go down the track.......what do you guys reckon.....?