Monogram Duster Funny Car

An area to discuss model cars and kit building and to show off your own model collections.

Moderator: Moderators

mad machs

Monogram Duster Funny Car

Post by mad machs »

Just thought I'd open up an old classic kit for everyones inspection.

This is the Monogram Plymouth Duster Funny Car #2206, 1977 issue & it provided the foundation for a few more boxings from the same tooling, notably the Mongoose Funny Car & the Cop Out Funny Car, back then Monogram hoped that by just changing the colour of the plastic & adding a fresh decal sheet, no one would notice that it was the same old kits doing the rounds :lol:

My example came in with a load of other kits in a job lot, sadly this example is quite poor, in so much the packaging is very tatty, so will most likely be overlooked by the serious kit collectors who make up most of my customer base, therefore if it kicks around for too much longer I may very well build it & sell as a completed example.

This is the most popular packaging format for Monogram kits.

Molded in light green & dark green with chrome detail parts, it's a familiar themed kit for the period.

Monogram were no fools & to save the considerable tooling costs of the day they recycled whole sprues into other kits, the 426 hemi parts for instance showed up on just about every drag car they did. As would the tyres.

It's often easy to overlook how good these kits were for the day, you only have to put them next to an Airfix kit of similar vintage to be reminded of this, the chrome parts were especially good & added a bit of flare to the finished article.

The decals were also very good for the time, not sure how these old timers will react to the saucer full of warm water, only one way to find out I guess
:lol:

& the instructions, very clear with a painting guide, easy to see how these kits were such a big hit in their day.

Mike that is called Mike.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Mike, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of price do these comand these days? 8-)

Looks like a cracking model! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Very much luck of the draw, if the box was better £50-60 would be quite achievable as this Duster kit is quite rare.
For building purposes always hunt out a recent re-issue, then you're looking at £15-20 ;) I think 'Cop Out' is back on the market for about £18.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

There you go, essentially the same kit...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-Monogr ... 4d09c1b4cb

Different Decals, but a great kit
8-)

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

:thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yep, I had the cop out Duster :thumbright:
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

This was one of my fave Monogram releases when I was 10 or something.....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.42 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Blue

Post by Blue »

Still got that one!