help with registering Barracuda?

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

paolo_mangusta

help with registering Barracuda?

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Hi Chaps

When I bought my Barracuda (well, most of a Barracuda) it had no paperwork, supposedly because the two previous owners were only interested in building full on race cars and hadn't bothered.

That story may well not be true, in the same way as the rebuilt engine and the 8.75 axle weren't either of those things :roll:

but I do know that it had sat at the back of a workshop for many years and that it is a 64 V8 car according to the VIN. Before I bought it, the only way I could find of checking it hadn't been stolen was to call the Experian check line and they said they were able to do a VIN search and that it didn't come back with anything at all.

The DVLA at first told me to apply for the V5 telling them I didn't have a reg number and enclose a £55 cheque. So they wrote back and told me that I couldn't do that if I didn't have the Reg number. At least they didn't cash the cheque. another call with them told me that I should 'restore' it first then come back to them. By 'restore' they mean it needs and MoT.

My big worry is that I'll keep putting cash into it then not be able to register it. Ron F suggested that some HPI/VIN searches are better than others, or it might be on the club records somewhere. Blue pointed out it might have come off an airbase and no-one bothered.

Anyone any ideas about how I can put my mind at rest and try to trace whether it's ever been registered here? Does the club keep records of members VINs? I'm going to be in quite deep by the time I get an MoT!

Cheers

Paul
'64 Barracuda
Blue

Post by Blue »

To register it the DVLA will want to see an MOT and proof that import duty and VAT have been paid. You don't have that, so I think that's going to one of your biggest problems.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Do you have any photos of it when you bought it? That might jog someones memory of it and might produce photos of it before storage possibly showing the reg number.
The worst case is that it was stored for years because no one could register it,then it will be almost impossible to register.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

Talk to Matt I think he has helped people with the same problem where they have found cars in lock ups or barns with no registration or documents
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Image[/img]

Here it is when I first found it in the back of Tim's Gasser Cave
'64 Barracuda
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

I used to tell myself that if it does turn out to be impossible to register, then as long as it isn't stolen, I won't mind and it will just be a race only car, not a road legal one.

But having spent large amounts of this year pointlessly towing the slingshot back and forth from racetracks, I'm really starting to want something that I can drive on the road as well :?
'64 Barracuda
Pete

Post by Pete »

It might be heading for a VOSA inspection and potentially a "Q" Plate unless Matt H can help, but the issue you must first overcome is the Tax concerns.

I think a call or several may be appropriate.....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

was originally light metallic blue, V8 four-speed

there was a thread on it when it was on ebay but I can't find it.

(maybe I should see if Matt volunteers his services, I don't want to be too pushy :D )
'64 Barracuda
terryr

Post by terryr »

I think if it had a Q prefix on it ,you would then be able to get an age related plate ,a lot of aggro I know ,but that maybe your only option ,and to get the Q you will have to do the same as the kit car owners ,when I bought the demon that had a Q and I then got the age related plate
Cannonball

Re: help with registering Barracuda?

Post by Cannonball »

paolo_mangusta wrote:Hi Chaps

When I bought my Barracuda (well, most of a Barracuda) it had no paperwork, supposedly because the two previous owners were only interested in building full on race cars and hadn't bothered.

That story may well not be true, in the same way as the rebuilt engine and the 8.75 axle weren't either of those things :roll:

but I do know that it had sat at the back of a workshop for many years and that it is a 64 V8 car according to the VIN. Before I bought it, the only way I could find of checking it hadn't been stolen was to call the Experian check line and they said they were able to do a VIN search and that it didn't come back with anything at all.

The DVLA at first told me to apply for the V5 telling them I didn't have a reg number and enclose a £55 cheque. So they wrote back and told me that I couldn't do that if I didn't have the Reg number. At least they didn't cash the cheque. another call with them told me that I should 'restore' it first then come back to them. By 'restore' they mean it needs and MoT.

My big worry is that I'll keep putting cash into it then not be able to register it. Ron F suggested that some HPI/VIN searches are better than others, or it might be on the club records somewhere. Blue pointed out it might have come off an airbase and no-one bothered.

Anyone any ideas about how I can put my mind at rest and try to trace whether it's ever been registered here? Does the club keep records of members VINs? I'm going to be in quite deep by the time I get an MoT!

Cheers

Paul
i reckon so long as you have the vin no the easiest way is get a letter from matt explaining what the vin decodes it as tell dvla it was an import from yrs ago but paperwork is lost and that you are willing if you havre to, to pay the duties on it at a value of say $2,000 at the 5% and they will sort it,,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Cannonball wrote: i reckon so long as you have the vin no the easiest way is get a letter from matt explaining what the vin decodes it as tell dvla it was an import from yrs ago but paperwork is lost and that you are willing if you havre to, to pay the duties on it at a value of say $2,000 at the 5% and they will sort it,,,
If that would get it legit, I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable tax rate on the value of a rolling shell with no floors :D
'64 Barracuda
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

paolo_mangusta wrote:
Cannonball wrote: i reckon so long as you have the vin no the easiest way is get a letter from matt explaining what the vin decodes it as tell dvla it was an import from yrs ago but paperwork is lost and that you are willing if you havre to, to pay the duties on it at a value of say $2,000 at the 5% and they will sort it,,,
If that would get it legit, I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable tax rate on the value of a rolling shell with no floors :D
exactly it can be done,,,,,,,,
there was a charger kicking about that i shipped the shell in to make a racecar no id, but the project failed i sold it on the next thing some guy got it registered by,, get this a stamp no on one of the front wings so there is a charger somewhere with a vin no like no other ha ha,,,,,,,,,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

You Can get it registered/
Cannon ball is right ,though I think you will have to cough up the import and duty if you can't produce any evidence,
The guys a HMRC are very helpful, give them a phone call, if you explain everything, they will point you in the right direction.
I bought a brand new, imported a off road buggy some years ago, I had a reciept.
I SVAed it to make it street legal. when I went to register it, DVLA sent it back wanting proof of taxes paid. I could not make contact with the importer, he had imported container loads , not paid any duty's, and done a runner.
HMRC could not find the guy, so I ended up having to pay the import and VAT.
But I still was able to register it ok :thumbright:
terryr

Post by terryr »

id get the mot on it and leave it rough looking ,as you would not want them putting a valuation on a minter
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

I wouldn't do any thing that would add value if going that route, you won't get a "Q" plate without proof of duty paid, any improvements will just increase the duty payable, the Q is just when there is no proof of age or built from parts etc, the Demon was on a Q as the American serviceman who had registered it did not show the accepted proof of age as most still seem unable to do.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!