Newbie from ROI

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

newport100 wrote:What about this?

worth a lot when done , and on the road now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLYMOUTH-BARR ... :BOEO:UK:1
Yep..........Good chance to get a return on your money. If all the work done, has been done then spending a few k on the body would easily break even.
Bit rarer than the Chally over here too! :thumbright:

As its road ready now, I'd say that's easily worth the additional 2k. Maybe past budget, but buying a 10k car that needs metal work, mot and registering.........will easily put you in a the same price bracket when all is said and done. :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Powermyster

Post by Powermyster »

£10k is for the car.

I have been looking locally, I haven't really looked across the pond in a serious way. I haven't reserched shipping but I suppose there is tons of info and recommendations on here
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Darren....welcome to the club mate and have fun looking!

Whatever you decide to do mate, its been done a thousand times in the club so you wont be short of help with shipping, parts, repairs, advice etc. I like the idea of a rolling resto. I bought my polara with just a few things to be done as I went along so I could enjoy her whenever I wanted. If my Fury was the only car I had, I would be very frustrated as shes in bits!!!

I love 70 Challengers but try not to be too blinkered ( unless it really must be a chally) as there are lots of different and cool Mopars out there. Worth browsing some of the US sites as well (I like ForCbodiesonly) as they often have cars for sale etc.

Good luck and enjoy matey.

cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Powermyster

Post by Powermyster »

I doesn't have to be a challenger. I've always been a fan of Dodge.

I'll have a read through some of the threads later with a cuppa.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Steve wrote:H Worth browsing some of the US sites as well (I like ForCbodiesonly) as they often have aircraft carriers for sale etc.

;)
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Guy wrote:
Steve wrote:H Worth browsing some of the US sites as well (I like ForCbodiesonly) as they often have aircraft carriers for sale etc.

;)
:lol: :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Powermyster

Post by Powermyster »

Have many members bought from overseas. It scares me to be honest. I like to stand beside a car before I hand money over
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Powermyster wrote:Have many members bought from overseas. It scares me to be honest. I like to stand beside a car before I hand money over
you could always get a holiday out of it too, it is nice going for car shopping trips.
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Hi Darren,

I bought mine over recently , sight unseen, although as suggested, a 'holiday' would be a good move if you can.

It depends how much you like a gamble, there are big risks involved but they can be mitigated...
1/ Make sure you properly understand the difference between the UK and US version of 'No rust'.
2/ Do loads of research in to your intended model so you can ask specific and searching questions.
3/ Get to know your seller as well as possible, be straight with them, try and 'friend' them on facebook and go through their photo history to try and verify timelines, stories told and work done to the car etc.
4/ Keep your fingers crossed.

Budget up to £2k for door to door shipment/import charges.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Powermyster wrote:Have many members bought from overseas. It scares me to be honest. I like to stand beside a car before I hand money over
I would love to import Darren and will as soon as funds permit.... :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

I would love to import Darren and will as soon as funds permit.... thumbright

Think there's been enough Irish emigration
:)
Blue

Post by Blue »

In all honesty you'd be very lucky to pick up an E body in the UK for 10k that wasn't a complete money pit, and by that I mean rust. Yes you can buy pretty much all the repair panels but unless you are doing it yourself and have good skills you'll wish you'd never started.
Here's a cautionary tale, there was a member on here a few years ago picked up a scruffy Charger for about 8 grand 'cos that's all they had. It needed serious welding work with much panel replacement, all done professionally. They had near to 20k in it just to get a solid shell, went skint and had to sell at a loss.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Carl

Post by Carl »

Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

That looks pretty crappy.... Christ knows what that awful paint job is hiding.
Look at the trunk! And the interior!!!!! I bet you can do better than that for 10K.
I am keeping this Mopar....... SOLD!
Powermyster

Post by Powermyster »

I'm not worried about a reasonable amout of body repair as that is my background. though I currently work as an motor assessor/engineer. I'd quite enjoy making some repair panels and carrying out the bodywork.

I emailed the guy about the Cornet and he wasn't willing to let one of my collegues in the UK carry out a pre purchase inspection for me. I wanted to get an accurate idea of the condition before I committed to travelling. That ended my curiousity in the Coronet.