318 help and advice needed please

Moderator: Moderators

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

chokes for carter BBDs all seem to follow the same bi metallic strip in a box on the manifold

some adjustment is sometimes possible at 1 end of the rod or the other in respect to which hole you put it in

some adjustment will have been possible as well before it all rusted up by moving the position of the bi-metallic coil in its little box

often a screw head and a small window and you can shift the coil round to get the right range of motion as it heats i.e coil orientation in the metal holder so the rod doesn't hit the movement end stop so early

other method is to bend the rod.....!

depending on how worn the throttle shaft is you may find it very hard to start without a choke.

however it is a night-n-day situation when you get it right

new small block choke late model aussie small block 75-->

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Valiant- ... 3d00b5ed7d

new small block choke early models 66->

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Valiant- ... 3d00956e91

new smalblock choke middle models 69-74

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Valiant- ... 3d0095692c

all aussie but made under licence from Carter Prestolite or some other big US cooperate entity

buy one that looks like yours based on shape and bends in the rod

you may have to bend the ear of the seller but most will post even when they say they won't

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Mickglos

Appreciated...

Post by Mickglos »

Dave 81... Thanks again, have ordered a dual spring kit for it. I took the choke off, did as you suggested and fired up ok. Stuttered a bit but after 30 seconds or so was ok.
Dave 999 thanks for the ebay links, I'll leave it like it is for a bit but if any problems I'll try and bend the choke rod. If that doesn't work, will order one of the Aussie ones.
My next job is the disc brake conversion...just waiting on the caliper brackets from Scarebird
www.scarebird.com
Regards
Mick
Dave81

Re: Appreciated...

Post by Dave81 »

Mickglos wrote:Dave 81... Thanks again, have ordered a dual spring kit for it. I took the choke off, did as you suggested and fired up ok. Stuttered a bit but after 30 seconds or so was ok.
Dave 999 thanks for the ebay links, I'll leave it like it is for a bit but if any problems I'll try and bend the choke rod. If that doesn't work, will order one of the Aussie ones.
My next job is the disc brake conversion...just waiting on the caliper brackets from Scarebird
www.scarebird.com
Regards
Mick
Your welcome Mick! :thumbright:

Try and get along to some events if you can. HRDs at shakespear county raceway is on mid September. Be good to see the truck and yourself, and it's usually well attended by the Mopar guys! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Hi Mick and welcome to the club and as you have seen plenty help here.

Good looking truck.
Mickglos

Nice one

Post by Mickglos »

Yes, been a great response!
Thanks to all who posted with advice, comments, etc.
Hope to meet some of you guys in the future.
Regards
Mick
Pete

Post by Pete »

Yep, the Hot Rod Drags are always a good meet-up; almost end of season so it sustains us through the bleak months..... ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God