Getting in to the NEC

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Bilko

Getting in to the NEC

Post by Bilko »

Thinking ahead about getting my car to the Classic Car Show at the NEC in November.
A few of you guys have exhibited cars there in the past, when do you have access to get your car in and when can you get it out etc.? Is there anywhere to leave a trailer at the NEC if I decide to trailer it up?
Sublime For 40

Post by Sublime For 40 »

If memory serves . . . you can get in from about 10:00 Thursday morning when the halls are virtually empty - Thursday is 'set-up' day.
Your car is trapped there until about 18:30 on Sunday. The show usually closes at 17:00 and there is then an hour's furious tear down. No cars are allowed to 'start' their engines until a set time on Sunday and then it's time to don your breathing apparatus as the halls fill with fumes ! The sight and sound of all these cool cars rumbling off into the night is worth the whole three days ! Plenty of cars arrive on trailers - there is a lot of space but I'm not sure you can leave anything on site for the duration . . .

Daft question - has the MMA 'call for cars' already happened and the fantastic four been signed up ?! . . . must have passed me right on by.
Matthew Oliver = MO(par)

If you've got a spirit that refuses to be tamed . . . YOU JUST MIGHT BE DODGE MATERIAL
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

You can leave your trailer on my drive for the weekend if you want to. I live just 10 minutes drive from the NEC.
1970 Road Runner, 505CI, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears.
11.98 @ 117mph on street tyres
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Mick70RR wrote:You can leave your trailer on my drive for the weekend if you want to. I live just 10 minutes drive from the NEC.
Wow, thanks for the offer! That would be dead handy, I'll take you up on that if I can sort a trailer out.

My options are drive it up there and back, rent a trailer and tow it behind my truck, or get it trailered up there by a 3rd party.
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

You're welcome, I'll PM you my phone number.
1970 Road Runner, 505CI, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears.
11.98 @ 117mph on street tyres
RobTwin

Re: Getting in to the NEC

Post by RobTwin »

Bilko wrote:Thinking ahead about getting my car to the Classic Car Show at the NEC in November.
A few of you guys have exhibited cars there in the past, when do you have access to get your car in and when can you get it out etc.? Is there anywhere to leave a trailer at the NEC if I decide to trailer it up?
If you've got your car on a stand, you'll need to get it there as early as poss on the Thursday, but ideally during the morning. The later you leave it, the harder it can be manoeuvring between the other stands that are being set up.

You'll be able to get the car out quite soon after the scheduled finish time on the sunday.

So whose stand are you on? Ours, hopefully ;)

I think you can leave trailers there in the car parks overnight, but you should get that info when you get your tickets and info pack from whoever's stand you're on.
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

I'm on the Classic American stand for the 'Car of the Year' competition.

It's right next to the MMA stand so hopefully have someone to talk to during the weekend.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Bilko wrote:I'm on the Classic American stand for the 'Car of the Year' competition.

It's right next to the MMA stand so hopefully have someone to talk to during the weekend.
I did wonder about that, but then remembered Gene Billadeau got the Heat Winner award. Or have they given up their place at the show cos they cant attend? :?

Ben will fill you in re the trailer and all other aspects tho :thumbright:
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

RobTwin wrote:
Bilko wrote:I'm on the Classic American stand for the 'Car of the Year' competition.

I did wonder about that, but then remembered Gene Billadeau got the Heat Winner award. Or have they given up their place at the show cos they cant attend? :?

Ben will fill you in re the trailer and all other aspects tho :thumbright:
I got the Wheels Day heat, gene will be there as the Nats heat winner.

CA will send details eventually, but I need to make arrangements now before it all gets booked up.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Oh yes, my bad. Thanks for putting me straight on that!

They don't usually have 2 Mopars on their stand so that threw me for a moment :)
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

you will probably get a pack with info in it and your tickets and passes, from the KING of your stand

the pack has maps and a time you need to be there at your allocated entrance to the hall.
then queuing and Hi-Vis jacket waving ensues, followed by a bit of polishing and a huge number of cups of tea.

make sure you only have a dribble of fuel by that stage, don't remember being checked but its in the instructions not to have a full tank.

there is an exhibitors car park but I believe it is for you and your guest to use to park for day time visiting not for storage of your trailer,( things might have changed its about 6 years since I was last there). compared to some car parks it is close, but apart from the station nothing at the NEC is close to where you will be situated in a hall.

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Steve

Post by Steve »

Classic American will be given a time slot for you to set up on Thursday. They will notify you nearer the time.

You will have your exhibitors set up wristband issued when you arrive. You MUST have with you a signed copy of the site rules or you wont get in. You must wear a hi vis vest whilst setting up and breaking down (Thursday and 1800 x 2100 Sunday). As Dave said, minimal fuel and no charging or discharging tanks on site. Batteries disconnected or immobilised following setup.

Daily passes are issued prior to arrival and will be distributed by whoever CA nominated as their stand rep.

Enjoy the show and see you there,

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Steve wrote:Classic American will be given a time slot for you to set up on Thursday. They will notify you nearer the time.

You will have your exhibitors set up wristband issued when you arrive. You MUST have with you a signed copy of the site rules or you wont get in. You must wear a hi vis vest whilst setting up and breaking down (Thursday and 1800 x 2100 Sunday). As Dave said, minimal fuel and no charging or discharging tanks on site. Batteries disconnected or immobilised following setup.

Daily passes are issued prior to arrival and will be distributed by whoever CA nominated as their stand rep.

Enjoy the show and see you there,

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Are you confusing the classic car show with the Health & Safety Expo Steve? :scratch: :)

We've been on CA's stand twice and our stand once and have never been asked about signed copies of site rules, had to wear anything hi-vis or been asked how much petrol is in the tank.

Unless they've gone H&S mad in the last couple of years..... :roll:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah Rob...changed a bit since I had my Polara there! Im busy fighting my way through the MMA NEC stuff as we speak. The changes are all H&S related and they seem to have really tightened up on stuff. The site rules is a sheet of A4 paper that you must have with you when you turn up with a car or want any form of access to the site during set up and take down. No form then no wristband so no entry!

Cheers Steve
Steve

Post by Steve »

Forgot to say...hi viz is now reqd during set up and take down. Will be enforced strictly apparently :roll: