Which Is the Best American Car Retail Store?

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Bilko

Which Is the Best American Car Retail Store?

Post by Bilko »

I buy most bits online nowadays but fancy having a browse this weekend round a proper US spares shop. Don't need anything in particular, just a couple of gaskets maybe.

Which is the best shop to go to in the South East? Customville is the only one I've been to in the past 5 years but there must be others still about worth a look?
Blue

Post by Blue »

I can't think of another in the south east, that's pretty much it! I don't know if USA Automotive have much of a shop, I've not been there.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Pete

Post by Pete »

USAutomotive have a counter but nothing on display or browse, and I think the only open to 12:00...

John Woolfe in Bedford has a little more on display but I am not sure it is worth the drive.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

I didn't realise JWR were still in business, havn't heard them mentioned in years, they used to have quite a big shop way back when and prices that made your eyes water....
Derek

Post by Derek »

Blue wrote:I didn't realise JWR were still in business, havn't heard them mentioned in years, they used to have quite a big shop way back when and prices that made your eyes water....
I recently got an alternator from JWR on ebay, next day delivery and at a good price
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Don
Location: DONNY SCOTT IN LANCING, ON THE SUNNY WEST SUSSEX COAST

Post by Don »

I pretty much only use Mark at WASP 01354 610333, unbeatable service
......9 SECOND SUPERBIRD .......
MattH

Post by MattH »

USAutomotive have nothing on display, JWR do, both are 5 minutes from one another in Bedford but it is not a window shopping trip, they only have a few shiny bits and some books on display.
I use USAuto mostly, but JWR do stock stuff. Gasket prices shocked me a bit at JWR, but when you need it in your hand now, you pay. I found Real Steel did the gaskets sets for CONSIDERABLY less.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Real steel is mainly counter service

they do have some cabinets of shiny but it tends to be carbs and fuel pump block of plates and big fat red ignition leads.

the best browse was a place in West Drayton, well you took that turn off the A4 as if you were going to the car breakers and instead went on up the high street and into the next suburb/village

it was a retail shop stuffed to the gills with US and UK bits new and second hand. I can't remember what it was called

and given that I can't remember what it was called indicates it is probably not advertising anymore.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Pete

Post by Pete »

Are you planning to go in the 'Cuda, Steve?

Have you sorted those Carbatooters out yet?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Pete wrote:Are you planning to go in the 'Cuda, Steve?

Have you sorted those Carbatooters out yet?
No mate, it's still running like a sack of spanners, and they are forecasting snow tomorrow so I don't fancy my chances on those Polyglas tyres!
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Blue wrote:I can't think of another in the south east, that's pretty much it! I don't know if USA Automotive have much of a shop, I've not been there.
Shame really, I used to love going up to Americar in Southend on a Saturday morning and hang about the shop. Or CustomMaid or Customville in Ilford, or John Wolfe when they were on the North Circular. :(
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yea me too , they are all long gone now. The rent and business rates in the south east no doubt played a big part in it. There used to be Garys Shack in Battersea as well, god alone knows what that shop must cost in rent these days.
jerry

Post by jerry »

Topspeed, speak to bill very helpful and good prices 01932 341700
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bilko wrote:
Blue wrote:I can't think of another in the south east, that's pretty much it! I don't know if USA Automotive have much of a shop, I've not been there.
Shame really, I used to love going up to Americar in Southend on a Saturday morning and hang about the shop. Or CustomMaid or Customville in Ilford, or John Wolfe when they were on the North Circular. :(
I used to work for John Bennett when he had his workshop "Yanks" on Canvey after he and his brother Paul closed down Custom Maid.

I think Tim Cook of Americar Racing went back to the States after a kit car venture failed, if i remember rightly?
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead: