Power steering pump cavitating

It's not Mopar, but we like it

Moderator: Moderators

Johnny Dart

Power steering pump cavitating

Post by Johnny Dart »

Any one had any experience of bleeding a power steering system ?
The pas system on my 1972 Ford F 100 is new, but the pump is VERY noisy in operation.
Normal bleeding procedure, of lock to lock turning , does not work.
The steering is powering up , and easy to turn but the pump is noisy.
any tips to get the aeration out , and stop the cavitation noise ?
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

I'd be surprised if it's cavitation with ps fluid/ps system........are you sure it's not the ps pulley bearing, impella bearing?

Other than that jack up the front end (if the ps fill point is at the front) and repeat the lock to lock...........though I can't see it being that! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Dave81 wrote:I'd be surprised if it's cavitation with ps fluid/ps system........are you sure it's not the ps pulley bearing, impella bearing?

Other than that jack up the front end (if the ps fill point is at the front) and repeat the lock to lock...........though I can't see it being that! :thumbright:
Its not pulley or bearing noise , as in a straight ahead position its not noisy, only when turning.
Just wondering if there a trick to bleeding the system other than lock to lock.
:read2:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Is the pump really 'new'?

The last rebuilt ford pump I had was really noisey, luckily it wasn't worth sending my core back to the states so I freed off the relief valve and it was silent. It can be pot luck.
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

New read Cardone recon.

I meant to post this a coulple of weeks ago , but never got around to it :roll:

All sorted now, I stripped the pump down and inspected it. It looked like there was a air leak at the pump body/resovior case, where the high pressure fitting emerges from the resovior case.
I made up a new cardboard washer, and used some sealer on it.

No problems bleeding this time, and quiet :thumbright:

I think it was constantly drawing air into the system and causing the cavitation. hence it would bleed out , and then start to get noisy again a few miles down the road.

OK now :thumbright:

So I now have a brand new unopened Seal kit, and a Recon pump , that I bought as "insurance " :roll: