Master cylinder change

Moderator: Moderators

cadboy

Master cylinder change

Post by cadboy »

looking to change standard all drum MC as converting to disc on front.

can I get MC and proportional valve here in UK or do I need to get them from US.

Do I just go for 73 on wards MC, would it be a direct fit.

links would be appreciated.

cheers
Ali
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Having done this swap using scavenged parts like a arms master cylinder power booster etc......I wish I had just bought a kit with it all in. A lot less time and hassle and you know the parts are new.

Yes a disc drum MS is different to a drum drum

You have to fit a disc proportioning valve block in leiu of the drum drum one currently on the car. I bought mine easily online and in my case bolted straight on.

Buy a kit from US and get Ron to bring it in.
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes you can use a '73 up m/c, straight bolt in, probably cheaper to get one from rock auto than buy over here. You are supposed to change the proportioning valve as well but I never have, doesn't seem to have any detrimental effects. Summit do an adjustable proportioning valve built into a distribution block that would allow you to fine tune the brake balance.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
theseoldcars

Post by theseoldcars »

Worth going for the prop valve if you can - without it you might experience some interesting effects. For example, if I unload the rear end of the car (nose over a crest, tap the brakes, rear axle hits a bump), the rears will lock when I apply the brakes hard - long before the fronts do. The result is usually a 45-degree angle drift. Not good on narrow roads...

Does vary depending in your set-up, mind, but worth testing at some point if you go down the road without it.
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Thanks guys for the advice I will get one from US.

:thumbright: