Changing over from a TorqueFlite 904 to a TorqueFlite 727.

Moderator: Moderators

dubvalman

Changing over from a TorqueFlite 904 to a TorqueFlite 727.

Post by dubvalman »

Looking for advice / information regarding the changing over from a TorqueFlite 904 to a TorqueFlite 727.

What considerations should I be aware of, will I need to relocate the rear mounting location on the chassis, is the front yoke compatible, can I reuse the kick down assembly – that sort of thing.

I am not 100% committed, but searching the net it seems that the 727 is better supported and more readily available as a replacement unit.

Thanks
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

Propshaft is shorter & larger front yoke, shift linkage & kickdown will probably need to be altered unless you get the rods &pivots with the new transmission, but even then may need a bit if work depending on what body it came out of. You need the torque converter for a 727 & the flexplate too. The cross member will be the same unless you want to upgrade to a later style mount in which case a it of fab work is needed.
It really depends what you want to be doing, 904's aren't that bad & they're lighter too.
If your car has pushbutton shift you will need to lose that too unless you can find a real early 727!
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Simples fix for the kickdown is to use the aftermarket cable type from Lokar.

I had to alter the propshaft on mine to make it fit.

Cooling line from trans to rad fitted the same on mine as well.

Pretty straight forward to be honest
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
dubvalman

Post by dubvalman »

As I mentioned it is not 100% confirmed to change over, I am just gathering data at the moment and looking to plan the project. I have sourced a reconditioned/re-manufactured 904 and torque converter so that is noted and ready should the 727 proved to be more hassle than reward.

I have however been looking at these 6X Six Speed Transmission Package; Small Block Chrysler Bellhousing - TCI® Auto since I posted and the more I read about them the more I like the idea of the six speed transmission with overdrive.

The car is not for track or thrashing - it is a cruise up the motorway spend the day talking :working: about old cars and cruise down the motorway home type of deal. I work abroad so it is so great to get to be around great old cars and drive them when not stuck in the desert staring at dust.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Not done the swap on an early car myself, but I have read the trans tunnel was not designed to take a 727 and will need some amount of massaging. I would stick with a 904 for a small block application, there are plenty of performance parts available for them these days.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

think that 6X trans needs the cross member cut out to fit in the tunnel.
seem to remember an article about one going into a road runner and the hump in the middle was replaced with a taller hump made from welded solid steel sections that took up space in the car. caused a few issues with the console

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying