Metal dipping is it worth doing?

Moderator: Moderators

Popeye

Metal dipping is it worth doing?

Post by Popeye »

Hi guys

I have completely stripped my 1973 Dodge Charger and before I start the 6 month job of sanding down the whole car, has anybody got experience with getting the whole car dipped?
I have done some research online and hear loads of good and bad and then there is the cost of around £2500-£3000
Any help would be great
Pete

Post by Pete »

I know some painters will not do it as the solution leeches out many months after dipping and it causes problems; no personal experience with it.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

I heard that, I was told they put it in a epoxy dip after?
I don't mind sanding down but don't want rust coming through in few years
Blue

Post by Blue »

Blast cleaning is the preferred method these days. Dipping is seen as just too risky, it can come back to haunt you again and again as the chemicals get right into the metal and can prove difficult to neutralize.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Ok people, following on from my (Hard to believe its 54yrs old) post, I have had some messages regarding the ins and outs of Media Blasting to Acid Dipping, Acid Dipping your classic pride and joy is a Big No No !!!!! When you ask the man about his Dipping process, he will tell you your car will come out better than new and only nice clean metal will be left, what he won't tell you is in time all that nasty acid will come back and bite you in the Ass, Leaking out of seams and joints and destroying all that nice new paint, how do I know this because I have restored 2 cars for customers in the past that had them dipped before coming to me, the second time was the final straw, I lost count how many drums of solvent thinners I used to flush that crap out the chassis rails and double skins !!!!! I also know more than one person that have had their cars dipped and are now paying the price, This is why I will NOT take on any jobs now that have been dipped ! I Media blast all my work where its needed, yes if you get media blasting wrong you can right off body work, but take care when you're doing it and the job will be a sausage !!!! So if you're thinking of having your car restored, find a good media blaster and stay well away from Dipping.........You have been warned !!!!!!
Gavlar 440-6

Post by Gavlar 440-6 »

Yep I learnt the hard way with my old Z28 and it nearly ruined a very costly and near perfect paint job, whatever the alternative is I would do it.
1970 AAR Cuda, Black, White Interior, Auto, one of 12
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

Taken your advice and going to order a tone of sanding discs lol
More money for engine parts I suppose ðŸ˜￾
kma176

Post by kma176 »

Envirostrip in Birmingham!!!
Apparently they neutralise then bake it afterwards which is supposed to kill it all off.
I've just collected my bonnet and a few parts from them today all looks good and finished in the Novol weld through primer or the epoxy.
The problems with bleed through later are supposed to be a thing of the past???
One of our top bodyshop guys on here uses them all the time!!!!!
Blue

Post by Blue »

That name rings a bell as one of the firms being used. There are other options for stripping cars these days that 100% won't cause problems so why even consider dipping where there is a risk?
kma176

Post by kma176 »

Yeah I know what you mean Blue
I had my main body grit blasted no problem-had my bonnet blasted and warped it really bad that's why I used dipping for the spare bonnet - didn't want to take a chance on warping another bonnet!!
What about Soda blasting ???
Blue

Post by Blue »

Soda is fine I believe. There used to be a guy on here started up doing it, can't remember who it was now, think he was in the midlands.
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

One local to here,mate of JohnRs I think. https://burstow.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/ ... 39674.html
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

No easy solution. Elbow grease, and lots of it. All "quick" stripping process's seem to have their pitfalls. I've lost count of the stories of rippled panels from blasting too.
"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"