Lokar kickdown cable adjustment?

Moderator: Moderators

MilesnMiles

Lokar kickdown cable adjustment?

Post by MilesnMiles »

Currently completing an install of the Summit Lokar copy kickdown cable
Instructions state that the cable should be at full tension/tight when fully adjusted.

However, I have mine with some slack in it and it seems to work better for it. The cable gradually moves the kickdown lever and it's at full kickdown position at full throttle.

However, if I have the cable with zero tension the kickdown lever moves very quickly to full kickdown position.

I've not yet roadtested, but opinions on adjustment from those who have fitted this cable set up appreciated.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yea I have fitted one, awful things I would never fit one in place of the stock linkage or at all if I had the choice. We also used to have a fleet of Dodge 50's at work with torqueflites with a cable kick down and they were always a problem.
The ratio is wrong for a start, you need to hold back the cable at the point where it turns at 90 degrees to stop it just whipping about instead of pulling the kick down lever.
I also found I had use a spring on the kick down lever to pull against the cable so it returns correctly. Getting the correct adjustment so that the change up is correct and yet it still kicks down will take time and lots of patience and mainly swearing. If you have the standard linkage do yourself a favour and put it back on, the cable set up will never work as well as that does.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Damn Blue, thought I was in with the cool kids!
Thing is, with my carb and manifold I can't get satisfactory lockdown even if at all, hence the cable
The set up is pretty smooth with the lever moving back and forward as it should. Guess I'll complete the job and let the road test determine whether I got it right or not. Been bloody hours in total as I had to fab brackets and make adjustments.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I spent a while modifying the kickdown linkage when I changed he intake and carb, works perfectly now.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Bananarama!.

that's maybe why mine won't shift out of first.

tci street fighter shifter and lokar kickdown.

going to fettle it this weekend
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Post up some pics of your set ups if you can ,I have them on two cars one I used a throttle bracket,and throttle cable ,and kickdown from Lokor , and the other I modified some stock parts to make it work , they work great for me
Attachments
P1070907.jpg
P1070907.jpg (115.62 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
P1070903.jpg
P1070903.jpg (102.04 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

sorry Drew

I only have it on my 4 barrel

you know the carb

the one real men use........ :D
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Dart Vader wrote:sorry Drew

I only have it on my 4 barrel

you know the carb

the one real men use........ :D
Get out there and fix that car! :)
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Thanks for the pics Drew.
Went out and road tested this morning. Kick down was a bit drawn out so adjusted cable to get more tension and an immediate improvement. Kickdown works fine as it should.
Jobs a good 'un. :thumbright:
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

[quote="MilesnMiles"]Thanks for the pics Drew.
Went out and road tested this morning. Kick down was a bit drawn out so adjusted cable to get more tension and an immediate improvement. Kickdown works fine as it should.
Jobs a good 'un. :thumbright:[/quote

YEA just a bit of tension on the cable and it will work fine
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

If it has to be a cable kickdown setup and you can't get the Lokar item to work correctly then it may be worth looking at the Bouchillon Performance version. It costs more but gives better adjustability.
All we are is rust in the wind
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Yes, they have a good rep. Mine works exactly as I should. Added more tension and it holds onto the gears a little more, same as the stock kickdown does if the lever is extended.
David Murray

Post by David Murray »

i got mine working sweetly after reading this thread and drilling another hole in the throttle lever to adjust the ratio. Did quite a bit of messing prior to trying this but worked straight away once I'd calculated where the new hole should be and done the mod.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubb ... tment.html
66 Dodge Polara.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Interesting thread, but simply allowing a little more slack or the opposite allowed me to fine tune the throttle shifts.
On a stock kickdown you can do the same by adjusting the lever length where it attaches to the carb.
David Murray

Post by David Murray »

Yep, I think drilling holes is only required if the current ratio is too far out to allow proper adjustment by cable length. Your's must already be within range. Good that you got it sorted.
66 Dodge Polara.