Hub / bearing fitting

Moderator: Moderators

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, it's a wilwood kit supplied by magnum force, I've checked the order number on their website and I ordered the right parts. Also checked the parts list and all the correct part numbers are there.
The brackets can only mount in one position, the disc does bolt to the hub ( goes to garage to check fitment of disc ) I hadn't noticed ( or realised ) before but there does appear to be two ways to bolt the disc to the hub. Guess which way I bolted it :oops:
It looks like by bolting it to the hub the other way round, the disc will be about 6mm closer to the caliper bracket.
I'll give that a try and report back.
Thanks Blue, your knowledge and ability to think things through logically may have solved the problem :thumbright:
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

you can put the disk on the front or the back of the some hubs when its just the spline on the studs that holds the lot together

its always the way I think it won't be when I take off the wheels but then you spot a section to whack a screwdriver in to separate the two and you know you are on the right track.

maybe just aussie hubs

I have confused myself in the past thinking something is terribly wrong when it wasn't new modern ones with a little allen bolt are easy in comparison slip over do up little bolt

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

Sounds like that's it then. I've fitted a few Wilwood kits over the years and never had any problems, they have good quality control I reckon. If they are still using the screw on dust cap with an O ring, make sure you grease the threads and only very lightly tighten it. They can be a bugger to get off in the future otherwise and grips don't half make a mess of billet ally...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Got both discs switched round and bolted to the hubs the right way ( this time, I hope ). Should be able to try them on the car again over the weekend.

Yes, the dust caps are still the screw on with O ring type, thanks for the tip, I'll get some grease on the threads and make sure I only tighten them finger tight.
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Problem solved :D

With the discs swapped around everything lined up as it's supposed too. Another job ticked off the ever decreasing list
Attachments
56CDB4A0-C2EE-4107-9349-842EB4DDE517L0001.jpg
56CDB4A0-C2EE-4107-9349-842EB4DDE517L0001.jpg (79.27 KiB) Viewed 642 times
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Got everything fitted and tightened up !

Started on bleeding the brakes, rear ones bled no problem. Can't get any fluid through the front calipers though. Checked everything I can think of, fluid is coming from the master cylinder, through the brake pipe to the flexi. But doesn't seem to be getting from the flexi into and through the caliper.
The caliper has four bleed valves, two at the top and two at the bottom, instructions advise to only bleed from the top.
Trying to bleed them the two person way ( one at the caliper and one in the car ) but there's no fluid coming through the bleed valve.
It's a wilwood disc conversion kit.
Anyone any ideas, have I missed something?
Attachments
003D6218-7A68-4C09-A431-319C9E02A87EL0001.jpg
003D6218-7A68-4C09-A431-319C9E02A87EL0001.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 618 times
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

Blue

Post by Blue »

I normally use a tube and a jar with a bit of fluid in it and do it on my own. Using that method you can normally fit the tube open the nipple a bit and wait for gravity to fill the caliper and then bleed in the normal way once you see fluid flowing out. Have you changed the master cylinder and did you bench bleed it first?
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, new master cylinder and bench bled before fitting. Used a jar with fluid in it and a length of rubber pipe. Spent about twenty minutes trying to get air / fluid out the caliper, even tried removing the bleed valve in case it was blocked, still nothing coming through the caliper though
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

All sorted :D

Took the master cylinder back out and bench bled it again. Now the wheels lock up when the pedal is pressed. Not road tested yet due to ongoing issues with finding wheels to fit :roll:

Do have another question though, the original master cylinder was divided into two parts. The front part of the reservoir feeds the rear brakes and the rear part of the reservoir feeds the front brakes. I've connected the new wilwood master cylinder in the same configuration.
However, the wilwood instructions advise that the front part of the reservoir feeds the front brakes and the rear part feeds the rear brakes. Have I connected the pipes in the wrong order or is it just because it's an aftermarket kit that it advises to connect it the opposite way ?
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf