What oil for rebuilt standard 360?

Moderator: Moderators

mrroverrover

What oil for rebuilt standard 360?

Post by mrroverrover »

Yes been asked a million times and I did search but with varying mixed results.......

What's the best oil to use on my rebuilt 360. No racing, just mainly fair weather cruising in my big ol Monaco.
I'm fully aware of needing higher zinc so is that Lucas hot rod oil ok? 10w 40? Or would castrol gtx with zddp additive be ok? 10w40 or 15w40?

It's due it's 500 mile change soon, I'm still running in and willing the miles to clock up so I can actually give it some beans
:lol:
1974 Dodge Monaco BLUESMOBILE :D
David Murray

Post by David Murray »

There's a quite a few of the 'classic' oils around now, catering for the need of old car junkys like us. I've read loads on it and tried quite a few, but not come across the Lucas oil you mention. I used to use Millers Classic 20w50 and Valvoline VR120w50 mineral (tests show both have more than enough zddp), but now use the Joe Gibbs 'Driven' oils.
66 Dodge Polara.
mrroverrover

Post by mrroverrover »

David Murray wrote:There's a quite a few of the 'classic' oils around now, catering for the need of old car junkys like us. I've read loads on it and tried quite a few, but not come across the Lucas oil you mention. I used to use Millers Classic 20w50 and Valvoline VR120w50 mineral (tests show both have more than enough zddp), but now use the Joe Gibbs 'Driven' oils.
This is the Lucas oil http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-10683-H ... 1438.l2649

Not sure if it's a gimmiky USA thing or actually any good.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

20w50
zddp with additive

I used millers running in oil with comp cams break in additive

I have since settled on dynolite which as far as I can tell has more zinc in it than the vast majority of the rest, and have not used the additive the last few changes.

they have a website www.dynalite.eu which I can't go to at work due to perceived risks ?????.

I felt I was going additive mental bunging in a bottle each time and read some stuff that indicated too much had a detrimental effect on the lubrication and sludge management characteristics of the oil, too much of a good thing is bad....seemingly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Dynolite-20w-5 ... 1590971255

check also the 20W60 which they define as an SAE30 replacement. i.e the oil that most 60's and 70s mopars would have used originally

they also do a running in oil for the first 500 miles

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNOLITE-20W- ... 2548.l4275

but i'd use a zddp additive as well for the run in.

before you start it.
take off rocker tins
mark each pushrod with tippex or paint pen

turn the motor over by hand with the plugs out for 2 or 3 turns
check that each pushrod has moved round.
if the pushrods have moved round the lifters are turning, if the lifters are turning the chances of a cam/lifter wipe out are massively reduced as the cam wipes past a different part of the lifter face every revolution, if it hit the same point each time the face would get very hot and be damaged.

it has to be noted that in another thread on this subject Dave Billadeau says he still has people asking for assistance with motors with wiped cams, although he didn't go into whether it was specifically oil or component issue he hinted in the case he mentioned that it was oil related. building mopar motors is the family business, so I took form his input that using the right TYPE of oil was vital and that he would have used or advised the use of a different oil if the motor in question had been built by him

use the wrong oil and there will be detrimental impact
i.e don't use an oil for modern cars, an oil designed for a car with FI and catalytic converter regardless of how expensive or how much "faster" it will make you go with its super slippy formulation.

use stuff designed for cars from before 1986

I've used
Millers
Morris's
Dynolite
Valvoline
and the stuff from commer, and Halfords with various motors (basically duckhams copies)

you will find someone somewhere who slags off each and every one of them, and others who think they are great
choose one and stick with it.

I suspect that the base-stock oil for the lot of them probably comes from the same place
and they all have to meet or exceed an API standard applicable to being suitable for cars from 1950s to approx. 1986.
i.e they can't vary the additive package too much

hope I haven't made the decision harder

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ah missed the fact that you are already running in

oops

dave
mrroverrover

Post by mrroverrover »

Dave999 wrote:ah missed the fact that you are already running in

oops

dave
Yeah I'm just wondering what you guys recommend I stick in when I change in 300 miles?
mrroverrover

Post by mrroverrover »

Is there a sticky I've missed on oil recommendations?
db

Post by db »

I use Joe Gibbs in the Belve but didn't want to spend that much on the A108.
I've read loads of forums and there are 100's of conflicting opinions all vehemently argued over.
The only general agreement seems to be high zinc content whether ready mixed or by additive. Minimum 12ppm zinc (ZDDP).
No-one will believe you...
db

Post by db »

I found the article fro Jalopy Journal listing various oils and their zinc content...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... es.138386/
No-one will believe you...
shaungriff

Post by shaungriff »

My original hand book that came with my chrysler 360 lists 10w40 !
1973 Chrysler CJ 360ci
mrroverrover

Post by mrroverrover »

shaungriff wrote:My original hand book that came with my chrysler 360 lists 10w40 !
That's what I wanted to hear lol.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ah so if its standard that grade will be fine

if its been built a bit more race orientated with a little more clearance see what the pressures is like and make a change .

Dave