Auto stuck in park postion

Moderator: Moderators

spooks

Auto stuck in park postion

Post by spooks »

My 66 Monaco auto shifter is stuck in the park position, i am not sure what gearbox it has but the engine is a 383, question is where can I get replacement parts and how do I go about repairing it, As you can tell i am willing to learn.
Cheers Chris.
Mossy68

Re: Auto stuck in park postion

Post by Mossy68 »

Hi Chris. Cannonball on here is the man for gearbox questions. I imagine your box is a 727.
First thing I would check is linkages if stuck in gear ?
But hopefully the experts will be along soon :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
spooks

Post by spooks »

I can free it up underneath by pulling on the leavers, i am sure its got something to do with the button on the shift lever, it does depress but its what it connects to under the console that's the problem i am guessing.
spooks

Post by spooks »

It has happened a couple of times now but I can usually wiggle it free,buts that's not much fun if i am out and about.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Sounds like the shifter lever detent is jamming. It's activated by a rod inside the lever connected to the button if I remember correctly. There's a small grubscrew on the knob which if you loosen off you can screw the knob up or down to get the correct clearance on the detent.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MattH

Post by MattH »

My Challenger does this all the time. Ive got a slap shift and the plastic body doesnt like being slapped and the internals jam. As Blue says, there is a grub screw on the shifter handle which will allow you to take off the casing after slippling off a chrome trim ring, exposing the metal lever under the plastic push button. Be careful as a small spring is in there too.

I just take mine apart and reset the lever and put it together again, remembering to not be too brutal with it next time I drive it.
I keep a crosshead screwdriver in the centre console as it always happens at the wrong place or time and I usually have to pull it apart in a bit of a hurry to be able to move the car and park.

It may not be a case of needing any parts, just dismantle and clean and reassemble.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
spooks

Post by spooks »

Thank you very much lads. Glad I joined this forum it’s very helpful
MattH

Post by MattH »

spooks wrote: Tue Apr 17, 18 10:41 am Thank you very much lads. Glad I joined this forum it’s very helpful
Let us know if this is the problem, it's always nice to know if I actually said something worthwhile!!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car