Alternator woe's

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

Re: Alternator wows

Post by TIB3300 »

This set up worked fine last year without a bulb Dave :thumbright:

I have bought another voltage regulator, still no worky :cry: and now can confirm that.

I have 2 alternators that will charge fine with a direct 12v feed to one field wire terminal on the rear of the alternator.

The other field wire terminal on the alternator is grounded, but doing this will result in the voltage rising to 17v with the engine revs.

"Regulator"
I have a 12 supply to the voltage regulator and 12 volts out when not connected to the alternator, once connected to the alternator. The output voltage drops to around 0.5 volts.

I put jump leads direct to the alternator from the body, I have also fastened the voltage regulator to the rear of the alternator taking the positive feed direct from the power out lead from the alternator and earthing the regulator from the body of the alternator
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Please ignore my last post as the voltage reg i have bought is not the same as the hella .

I will have to wait until new hella one turns up, as when I wire up the latest one I bought I get charging but no regulation. I don't think its compatible with my setup #-o
Blue

Post by Blue »

It’s not much use to you now but if originality isn’t a concern, use an internally regulated Denso alternator, bombproof modern Japanese design that puts out a better charge at idle too. The Chrysler style alternator isn’t great by modern standards and isn’t very reliable either judging by the amount of posts I’ve seen on the net over the years. The Denso is also smaller and lighter too which can be useful in an engine swap situation.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Just doing that now, tidy little unit. :thumbright:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
TIB3300

Re: Alternator woe's

Post by TIB3300 »

Morning all
Thanks for the input of late :thumbright:

I have found the issue with the changing #-o

As I said, I have purchased one of jeggs chrome alternators and apparently the one wire alternator from jeggs,is literally that. As it does actually only need one wire, the large one that charges the battery.

Also the jeggs alternator has an internal voltage regulator, which is why it would charge even without the positive exciter wire connected, the alternator picks up a positive signal from inside its self "GREEN WIRE" attached to one of the field spades on the back.

Now this where I went wrong, as I attached my Hella voltage regulator to the other spade highlighted.

As what they have done with these alternators is removed the little round isolating ring on the other spade connector and replaced it with a metal washer, this then earths that terminal.

Resulting in a blown Hella voltage regulator, I still can't figure out why it now won't charge on its own without anything connected . But I now have a charging system, all be it with my old alternator fitted.

Over the weekend, I swap out all the chrome internals
Attachments
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Ahh so they have hidden everything in there
but left the case configuration the same as standard?

hence confusement.

the 1 wire jobby needs to see battery voltage then it can decide what to do

with no battery voltage it does nout becasue the internal regulator isn't powered up

basically the section of the circuit that was 12 volts into regulator and body/earth back to battery and the field wire are all inside the case

so if you spin it over with nothing conncetd it won't do anything.. it has no permanement magnets in it... so it won't work like a stator or dynamo.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Thanks for the help and input guys,

Nice shiny alternator now on and working with the old system inside, IE taken out the electronically controlled part :thumbright: