Craigs wierd and wonderfull world

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Do you know the history of the hardtop, was it an export model or an Aussie import? I can't see it having been sat around for 10 years unregistered prior to 1981.
Just being nosey now really!
Giles
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Was an aussie import i belive hence the 81 plate, gonna get it age related if i ever Bananarama!.
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

DodgeRover wrote:Do you know the history of the hardtop, was it an export model or an Aussie import? I can't see it having been sat around for 10 years unregistered prior to 1981.
Just being nosey now really!
Giles
Im only going on what I can vaguely remember but I think it sat at the Dock's since it was brought over to the UK from OZ for one reason or another. It could have well been 10 years. Thats why its in such poor state.James Bratby(sp) Bratfink on here, rescued it and stored it for a few years intending to do it up before he moved to the States. James will have the proper story on this when he next pops in. :thumbright:
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

yep, james knows lots more than me. :thumbright: interested to her what he has to say
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

One of 480 CH hardtops built between 71 and 73. This one was Nov 71, number 145.

70 of the 4 door CH sedans were sold new in the UK but I have never found any evidence to suggest the Hardtop was sold new in UK.

This one was a private import in 1981. It lived in Grimsby and spent at least 12 years sitting in a field before somehow it showed up in Kent. Gary bought 770 Charger RAN 5L from Elo and this was thrown in as a parts car for the Charger. Gary was under the impression all of the parts were interchangeable, after he found out they weren't he decided to scrap it. I persuaded him to let me have it and let him take some of the bits for RAN 5L (windscreen and a couple of other bits). He had already pulled the motor and trans to be built up and go into RAN 5L but I don't know if that ever actually happened. I suspect not, since a bunch of engine stuff was sold off after Gary lost interest and flogged RAN 5L and a bunch of bits (including a 360).

Until I found it no-one knew what it was, I tucked it away in a barn until I could either afford to restore it or let someone else have it to restore.

I had the VIN number corrected on the V5 (at considerable difficulty) since the DVLA has a habit of using the engine number as a VIN on the Aussie Mopars.

This is THE rarest car in the club and as far as I can find out the ONLY one outside Australia.

This will be a spectacular car to see on the road when it is finished!

Correct drivetrain for this car is a 360-727. If you look hard enough you will be able to find an Aussie 360 somewhere in UK. Should have a serial number starting with a prefix A421.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

A car as rare as this just has to be saved, I'm sure with the Oz enthusiasts in the MMA and the proposal that the continuing resto may feature as a regular in Connected, and the interest that should generate, I'm sure those hard to find parts could be found.

Now I know a bit more about the car's history, thanks to James, I for one will follow its progress with interest! 8-)
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Very interesting james, never knew it had been sat so long, that explains why its so b uggered then :lol:

So who is the idiot thats taken on this project? :shock:
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Bratfink wrote:One of 480 CH hardtops built between 71 and 73. This one was Nov 71, number 145.

70 of the 4 door CH sedans were sold new in the UK but I have never found any evidence to suggest the Hardtop was sold new in UK.

This one was a private import in 1981. It lived in Grimsby and spent at least 12 years sitting in a field before somehow it showed up in Kent. Gary bought 770 Charger RAN 5L from Elo and this was thrown in as a parts car for the Charger. Gary was under the impression all of the parts were interchangeable, after he found out they weren't he decided to scrap it. I persuaded him to let me have it and let him take some of the bits for RAN 5L (windscreen and a couple of other bits). He had already pulled the motor and trans to be built up and go into RAN 5L but I don't know if that ever actually happened. I suspect not, since a bunch of engine stuff was sold off after Gary lost interest and flogged RAN 5L and a bunch of bits (including a 360).

Until I found it no-one knew what it was, I tucked it away in a barn until I could either afford to restore it or let someone else have it to restore.

I had the VIN number corrected on the V5 (at considerable difficulty) since the DVLA has a habit of using the engine number as a VIN on the Aussie Mopars.

This is THE rarest car in the club and as far as I can find out the ONLY one outside Australia.

This will be a spectacular car to see on the road when it is finished!

Correct drivetrain for this car is a 360-727. If you look hard enough you will be able to find an Aussie 360 somewhere in UK. Should have a serial number starting with a prefix A421.
i am sure i saw the reg no ran 5l the other day and it sure was not on a charger
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think the Charger RAN 5L is back in the club, Matt H could answer that? It popped up for sale a couple of times after Gary sold it.

It wouldn't be the first time the DVLA duplicated a reg number.
MattH

Post by MattH »

I think RAN 5L got re-registered to another number, I will have to do some checking. Yes its now WEU334L, and was sold to someone in Kent.
Car was last black coloured (matt) and in bits after Gary did his stuff with it, ie took it apart.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car