Johnny's Dart repairs

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Those wiper bushes are a sod o press on. I used mole grips and that did the trick. Lots of upside down wrestling.
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

MilesnMiles wrote:Those wiper bushes are a sod o press on. I used mole grips and that did the trick. Lots of upside down wrestling.
As I've got the dash out ,it's a good time to do them,and I'm waiting for a speedo cable, and a replacement flasher switch, all coming from USA.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thats a great Idea Johnny...get those awkward jobs out of the way while the dash is out!!

Dont know if your switches are like mine....they earth to the dash panel and are screwed in from the rear. I would imagine they were assembled face down then mounted in the car. I have taken the screws out as they are very awkward to get out (and even harder to get in!!) and replaced them with slightly bigger self tapers from the front that cut a thread into the smooth bore of the switch mounting holes in the switch. Much easier for next time!! :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Steve wrote:Thats a great Idea Johnny...get those awkward jobs out of the way while the dash is out!!

Dont know if your switches are like mine....they earth to the dash panel and are screwed in from the rear. I would imagine they were assembled face down then mounted in the car. I have taken the screws out as they are very awkward to get out (and even harder to get in!!) and replaced them with slightly bigger self tapers from the front that cut a thread into the smooth bore of the switch mounting holes in the switch. Much easier for next time!! :thumbright:
Nice idea, I will have to look and see.
I've still got to put the original radio back in the dash , and the heater controls.It did have factory air con, but its been removed, I think I've got it all, but I don't think I'll be refitting it. .
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

JD.

Had the same issue with my wipers. Heavy rain, 3 speed wipers and brittle 40yr old plastic and i lost my wipers.

Twas the plastic grommet that fits the intermediate arm from the control arm on the wiper motor (wiper linkage bushing).......

Before:..

After:

White Plastic condom for one of a word.

Got mine for about $8 from Year One in the US. Then spent about $16 on shipping.......Bit of a pisser for a £5 part, but its done and works well. Also comes convered in grease!! :thumbright:

https://www.yearone.com/SearchResults/1 ... -Body/wb22

:thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Dave81 wrote:JD.

Had the same issue with my wipers. Heavy rain, 3 speed wipers and brittle 40yr old plastic and i lost my wipers.

Twas the plastic grommet that fits the intermediate arm from the control arm on the wiper motor (wiper linkage bushing).......

Before:..

Nice one ! I have a new flasher switch coming over from the states, and I've asked the guy to put 3 of them in the package, I hope they are not crappy ones , as they are very cheap !

After:

White Plastic condom for one of a word.

Got mine for about $8 from Year One in the US. Then spent about $16 on shipping.......Bit of a pisser for a £5 part, but its done and works well. Also comes convered in grease!! :thumbright:

https://www.yearone.com/SearchResults/1 ... -Body/wb22

:thumbright:
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Steve wrote:In for a penny eh mate!! :shock: :shock:

While all that is out it will be a good opportunity to clean all the connectors etc and test everything. Im going to have to do that on the Polara I think to find the issue with my dash lighting.... :thumbright:
Got the bushes for the wiper linkages yesterday, all fitted up now.Painted the steering column,fitted the replacement indicator switch ( causing the flashing rear lights on their own problem) Just waiting for the correct speedo cable to arrive, then I can put the dash back together.Also fitting RHD halogen lights with side lights integral.
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Getting on great Johnny :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Mossy68 wrote:Getting on great Johnny :thumbright:
Thanks, Just do a bit ,wait for parts, do a bit more ect !
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Johnny Dart wrote:
Mossy68 wrote:Getting on great Johnny :thumbright:
Thanks, Just do a bit ,wait for parts, do a bit more ect !

We all seem to follow that path !!!
Look forward to meeting you and your Dart :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Steve wrote:This is what I mean matey....I like simple!!! This is basically a schematic I did from Miles' advice re orange indicator conversion....give it a go, might help...

cheers Steve :read2:
Thanks with your help sending me the wiring diagram. I followed it apart from I put a new wire in , because I wanted to keep reverse lamps,
I found some tiny led unobtrusive ones, that I’m pleased with.
I think I will replace two of the bumper bolts with the reverse lamps, after Scot told me I had put them in the jacking points.
So a bit closer to MOT now.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

You should be able to fit them in the slots where the original factory bumper overriders would have been (slots on the upper part of the bumper)!

It will also keep your lights in line with the rest! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Dave81 wrote:You should be able to fit them in the slots where the original factory bumper overriders would have been (slots on the upper part of the bumper)!

It will also keep your lights in line with the rest! :thumbright:
I did look at that Dave, but they point up in the air like landing lights !
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Johnny, nice work. You realise you don't have to have reversing lights?
They are pretty groovy though 8-)
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

MilesnMiles wrote:Johnny, nice work. You realise you don't have to have reversing lights?
They are pretty groovy though 8-)
Thanks Miles, yes I know I didn't need them, but I do !, I live in the country, no street lights,and strong gate posts, I need to see where I am going when I reverse up the drive, and its uphill.
I'm well impressed with them , I bought some more for the bumpers on my van.