Blown head gaskit i think ?

Moderator: Moderators

Kev

Post by Kev »

Fire it up and look in the radiator cap hole, if it's chuffing smoke it's defo a head gasket. Maybe do a compression test instead as we diagnosed Turnip's as a head gasket to start with.
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Pete, check this thread out, it features a bit of good advice from Wil on how to check your head gasket for leakage :thumbright:

http://www.moparuk.com/forums/viewtopic ... ght=#97047
All we are is rust in the wind
Anonymous

Re: Blown head gaskit i think ?

Post by Anonymous »

pete walton wrote:symptoms are top hose swells when engine turned of something must be loading up the pressure ?
Am I reading this right?? hose swells AFTER the motor is turned off ??

If head gasket i'd have thought it can only build pressure while the engine is running.

Hoses would be rock hard well before it was switched off, spitting water etc

could be a localised hotspot in the block that boils water once the water pump stops circulating ????? just a guess
TyreFryer

Post by TyreFryer »

Failing that it could be a cracked head, that's the problem I had. Are they 906 heads Pete? If so, they're prone to cracking between the middle two valves. Mine was cracked behind the valves so it ran for a while before boiling up completely.

What's the temperature like?
Martin Walker
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

A rad cap can't usually fail that way, if you take it off the rad and push the lower portion and it moves the cap is fine, basically a spring keeps the lower seal on it's seat, as long as the lower bit moves it's ok

are you sure it's not just the hose in question is weak, all hoses have to stand between 12psi and 20psi ish depending on the cap rating
TyreFryer

Post by TyreFryer »

Is this the old hose you borrowed off of Kev Pete?
Martin Walker
Kev

Post by Kev »

Martin! It was on your RR (clone) last, so it's your fault, don't blame me!!! :D
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
TyreFryer

Post by TyreFryer »

Kev, I don't think that hose Pete fitted was the one I borrowed was it? Did it have a spring insert. The one Pete had looked like it had a bend molded in it.
Martin Walker