Weather beaten '68 Charger 4-speed Hurst

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Patina Charger wrote:Had a fun day at the strip. I'd love to say it ran 15s......or 16s.......but sadly my best was a miserable 17.2. Felt quick but the starts kept bogging down. i think I might have to re-adjust the carb too. Let the tyres down from 28psi to 22 and the car got slower :shock:

Hey ho, didn't wanna break it and came away happy. Have scrubbed a new 'maximum' dipstick level with 5-litres in the sump. Oil pressure still faultless.

You beat me by 2 tenths but my clutch was slippin' badly, couldnt get it to bite till 3rd but boy was it stormin' then. At that point, I could see my oponent (Moparnutterz Chally) reelin' back in!

Ran a best of 17.4 before the clutch finally fell apart :D

Good luck for the future, we all gotto start somewhere. :thumbright:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

nout wrong with 17..........

less gear changes in the run :)

didn't try and side step and power shift routine then

no neither have i.....

:D

well not in my charger.....bit of practice in the wifes suzuki.....

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Patina Charger wrote:Let the tyres down from 28psi to 22 and the car got slower :shock:
I did say they like 30psi but you didn't listen. ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well I ran with anything between 6-10psi depending upon track conditions and temp and ran 10.1 in my old Coronet on street tyres,so if I'd put 30psi in would I have run an 8 Dave? :scratch: :roll:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Nah, you need 4-6 psi to run an 8, although 2-4 will get you into the 7's :? :D
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

A guy that actually designs radial tyres for road cars told me modern radials get more traction when correctly inflated.
When I asked about the low pressure in drag slicks he told me they were apples and oranges. Slicks are designed to give max grip at low pressures. Modern radials on a flat concrete or tarmac surface are designed to grip best when inflated.

Different story in different conditions of course but we are talking about a drag strip and not ice or off road.

It could be Bill that your "street" tyres are designed for drag racing at low pressures.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I ran a 12.2 on my BFG Radial T/As inflated to 30psi.

With the 10 inch slicks at 10 psi I ran 12.4.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

When the tyre pressures were dropped every time I bogged down it wasn't lack of grip, it was the engine.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Patina Charger wrote:When the tyre pressures were dropped every time I bogged down it wasn't lack of grip, it was the engine.
I would expect so. I only mentioned the tyre pressure because you said you went from 28-22psi. Then Bill chipped in. I wouldn't expect to see any difference in those pressures with so little power being made.

Just stick to your normal pressures until you have the engine running right.
The carb and timing are what you need to fiddle with. ;)
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

fueling issue?

what carb and someone can help

either lean or rich in transition phase or your secondaries are coming in and spoiling things

i can't help cos i know nothing about Holley types and little about carter types. i'm guessing you have the former in which case loads of people will have a view

Dave
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

dave beat me to it both posts at 12:03
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think in future I will just leave the tyres at street psi (28-30). The carb is an Edelbrock 4-barrel (still have the original Carter but it needs rebuilding). I think I will go through the timing, mixture and other bits. Like you say Dave, I reckon it's to do with the secondary chokes kicking in from standstill - a real hesitation. Once in second she pulled like a slut.

I know a 17 is pathetic but at least I had fun. Even my 36wk pregnant wife enjoyed watching it. I beat a Skyline (although he wasn't trying...) and a Subaru (which had boost problems)
:thumbright:
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Edelbrocks normally have an air door on the secondaries to prevent such a bog. I have some tuning guides for Carters and Edelbrocks on my message board I think.
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

17.2 makes my c bod 318's 18.1 look good :D
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

full edelbrock carb tune up manual is on edelbrock site as PDF

they are all more or less the same

if its Bananarama! probably an AVS type

get it working very well on primaries first. right jets and right rods right spring. tune it like an old 2bbl

once happy let the scondaries commence

4 jet sizes smaller and a reet tight flap spring

work from that

if really stuck find a rover v8 place. they love the 500 version which they call a weber 500....nutters

Dave