Phill440's 440

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Phill440's 440

Post by Anonymous »

As many of you guys that past me on the way home from the Nats will know, I broke him :roll:

So last Saturday I set too, striping off all the ancillaries ready for removal. Sunday, Kiwi comes over with his hoist and van, and we get the lump out and back to his place and start the autopsy.

Good news is, both head gaskets were about to blow so crisis averted there! On to the bottom end and identified the knocking as being big end No.3 eating it's bearing shells.

Both the crank and the block had been bored (+30) and reground (+20) before so options are:

A) See if there is enough meat left on the crank to have it reground again, and also have the rods bored.

or

B) Stroker kit

No brainer really as I think the difference between the 2 is around £500.

So question is, what size to go for???? I've been on 440 source, Speed-O-Motive and Summit racing where the choices are 500,512,528 and 543.

The prices for all are ni-on identical, so why go for the 500 when you can have a 543 for an extra $20 or so??
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

543 it is then :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:? I would of thought that it comes down to the driverbility of the build and not just how many cubes, how much will all the other bit cost that you will need to complete the build and for you PHILL, as you do drive your car what gas miles :roll: we would all love a 528+ but you have to run it not just look at it :cry: :lol: :thumbright:
big block

Post by big block »

:atthemovies:
big block

Post by big block »

:atthemovies:
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

The 512 is ok with the stock pickup and the block requires very little or no clearancing. The block will have to be clearanced with the 528 and you will probably have to go to external oiling. The 543 requires external oiling and block clearancing.
I went with the 512 kit because it's the easiest to fit.
steveo

Post by steveo »

just been looking into this my self :read2: about building a 512ci read on the 440 source .com web site 512 ci is as big as you can go without grinding the block for rod / crank shaft clearence also .. the old pick up in in the way with the 528-543 i'm ptetty sure the 543 will need an external pick up

:lol: i was too late beat me too it Mick :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If you go bigger than a 512 you'll be into larger heads to feed the cubes , larger headers , dana rear end , box beefed up , oiling issues..............the list goes on , stick with a 512/509........................or get a megablock. :D ;)

Build the motor for a comp ratio of around 10:5.1 , if you go higher you WILL regret it. :thumbright:

Good luck Phill.

:thumbright:
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Six pack speedshop do this 500 kit,no nasty customs/shipping bills.

http://www.six-packspeedshop.be/partsstore.asp
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

latil wrote:Six pack speedshop do this 500 kit,no nasty customs/shipping bills.

http://www.six-packspeedshop.be/partsstore.asp
Six-Pack Speed Shop are dealers for 440 Source.
Blue

Post by Blue »

No problems with Chevy bearing sizes, they are plenty big enough. When it comes to choosing a size for a stroker, several things have to be considered, it is not always a case of biggest is best. Intended use is one, how much you want to spend is another. Head flow is key to how a stroker motor will perform, 500 ci is too big for performance use with a stock iron head, it is really too big to really perform with an Edelbrock head. Increasing the cubic inches while keeping the head flow the same, will create peak torque and horsepower at a lower RPM. A 543 on iron heads would produce insane amounts of torque from tick over but would probably be all done by 4800rpm, fine for a motorhome but bugger all use for anything else. Without getting into all the tech, 500 or 512 is your best bet, very torquey but will pull hard to nearly 6000 if you cam it right, and have enough carb.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks guys, wise words as ever :thumbright:

Blue, I'm running a complete Edelbrock top end. Performer rpm heads,inlet,cam, timing gear and 850 carb.

Looks like a toss up between 500 and 512 then? Im off to re read your thread :lol:
Six-pack Speedshop

six-pack

Post by Six-pack Speedshop »

Yep, we are dealers from 440 source, and we stock the 500 and the 528 kits.

We do a lot of these, also we build a lot of 528 strokers and the runs pretty well. A month ago we build a 528 with a six-pack on it, and this engine runs really smooth.

We build each year +/- 25 engines, but the different overhere that they are almost all street used!!!!

So we cant give info about these kits using on the strip.

We have +/- 50 440stroker kits build in engines trough the years, without any any problem. So they are really good.

You always have to do some clearings on the block, and we used almost always 1 7/8 headers, depending on the HP we use 2.5 or 3" exhaust systems.

Most of the time we work out +/- 530 hp on a engine and some 600+, but than with Indy heads.