Jims '65 Mustang Fastback

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Post by Jim »

That would make one fantastic Falcon.
BUDGIE

Post by BUDGIE »

8-) Jim.............that car deserved what your doing to her :thumbright:

I would like to have a drive in her someday ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Fastback daily(ish) driver :thumbright:
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Very nice Jim, that will be a proper little gem when finished & looks like fun waiting to happen :thumbright:
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Jim

Post by Jim »

Here's an update on my 65 Mustang Fastback:
This pic shows the engine bay as it is at the moment.

The 65 Mustang is an ideal car to convert to the later EFI engine configuration, but it does involve quite a lot of work. What may put some people off is installing the later wiring loom and computer etc.. But the end result is well worth the effort. You should end up with a much more reliable and driveable car.

This Mustang has a lot of modifications other than just the EFI engine. This picture was taken part way through the 'mock-up', with an old EFI motor in place. Here the engine bay is looking pretty crowded with power steering pump being connected for the rack & pinion steering, also the air conditioning pipes are being installed. Some items are not yet in their final position. The clutch cable routing is completed. The wiring loom is now fully installed along with connections to all the sensors and cruise control etc.. A battery is in position, and the air cleaner and mass air flow sensor from the later Mustang are almost in place.

This photo is of an unfinished job. When everything is in it's right place and has been tested, all this will come out again and then re-installed with the new engine and other new items - and will look just right for when you lot get to see it in the spring.
Last edited by Jim on Sun Jan 25, 09 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Post by Jim »

My camera is not very good at taking photo's inside, so sorry i can't post any really good pic's yet.

Here's a couple more showing the installed Total Control coil over shock front suspension and with one of the Torque Thrust wheels fitted.
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Wow, that's a lot of work to put the motor in, fit it up, wire & then pull it.

Like the finish on the control arms, classic wheel choice :thumbright: look forward to seeing it in the flesh
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Anonymous

nice

Post by Anonymous »

nice motor 8-)
Jim

Post by Jim »

Well, here's an update on my 65 Mustang at Richard Ward's shop.

I drove it last week with the old EFI engine, to try out the new brakes, suspension and steering etc.... All very good. So back into the workshop to change over the engine for the new motor. One picture shows the old engine on the hook, with the new motor on the floor ready to install (the Charger in the background is in Richard's shop for some work).

The engine is now in, connected and running, - that's as far as we got on Saturday. There is still some finishing to do, - and installing the interior. It's coming on well.

We have pretty much decided to leave off most of the badges and trim, keeping it plain with the shiny wheels and brakes looks just right. I just love it.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Very nice Jim. 8-)
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Now that will be a cool and practical car Jim...love it. :thumbright:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Cool reg number too 8-)
Jim

Post by Jim »

What the heck..
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

...and I see the indefatigable Mister Ward hasn't lost his touch with a spray gun! ;)
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

Richard is doing a lot of work on this car, but not the paint. I bought the car from Budgie already painted. It seems this car was always black, (originally 289 2 barrel and 4 speed).

The reason for buying this car was for the excellent rust free body (I had a good look over the car before paint). The body was great, the rest of the car was horrible. So now everything is new.