A quick guide to identifying Australian Chargers

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

A quick guide to identifying Australian Chargers

Post by Anonymous »

From the early sixties, and still in use today, all Australian manufacturers used a two letter code to identify their models.

Typically, the second letter denoted a facelift to the range, and the first letter denoted a redesign.

Hence, you will find folk talking about VH, VJ, VK and CL Chargers. It is worth remembering that, again no matter whether it was Ford, Holden or Chrysler, the two letter code refers to the whole range whether it is a two door hardtops through to a ute.

As a quick guide to identifying Chargers:-

VH
Rectangular headlights and driving lights (if fitted)

and multi blocked tail lights

VJ
Round 7inch headlights, and painted surrounds to front indicators

and retained the mult block tail lights

VK
Round headlights, grille typically painted white/grey and chrome surround to front indicators

and redesigned tail-lights

CL

Complete front end redesign

but retained the VK tail lights

I hope that helps.

To the best of my knowledge, only VH and VJ Charger were exported to the U.K.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 13, 09 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Thanks Sandy, for the first time in my entire life I now have a fair chance of not making a fool of myself trying to identify which model is which.

That silver "Shannons" car is an absolute cracker, I wouldn't throw that one off the fleet, that's for sure.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Kev

Post by Kev »

Plenty of Mercury Silver R/Ts round here, Ivor. The originals look better in the paint than the recreations............Still not a Charger fan though, although I was snapping at a sizzle and found a young wench keeping out of the sun in the boot of a Charger which was quite nice (Obviously not a big tank model: Car, not chick!!!)
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Charger ads
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The police Chargers
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Actually the VK got both the early and late rear light clusters, just to mix it up a bit.

I think Sandy meant VK for those clusters under the CL line.

For Chrysler in Aus the first letter denoted the brand:

V= Valiant (cheapo)
C = Chrysler (luxury)

They didn't make enough lines for them to use the first letter as a redesign designation. Therefore VH and CH were built concurrently, then VJ and CJ etc. Only when they got to CL They descided to drop the Valiant brand (part of the impending Bananarama! over) and thus only C* designations carried on. The Charger line was dropped after CL but there was a CM range (sedan and station wagon) until 81.

The Utes from VH on were badged as Dodges yet they were not DH... etc, they were still refered to as V* series. I guess there would have been C* variants late on but I'm not sure.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks, James.

Best wishes for 2009 to you and Laura :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You may hear folk talking about 'big tank' cars.

Here is the 'big tank' in the boot of a Charger. Note that one of its features was twin filler necks.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Do you realise that filling that up, you have about 220lbs hanging over the back axle?

That would make for some interesting handling.

Do you know what? I put so much petrol in my car the other day, I couldn't get in...

I'll get me coat Sandy.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Big innit

36 gallons.....whats that in new money approx £140 to fill it up???

a consequence of not having anything much other than a tow along tanker and standard bowser to fill up at most aussie race tracks meaning a pitstop could leave you many places down.
that combined with various odd rules around what pit equipment was permissable (some race series dictated only 1 trolley jack per pit crew!!!, yes people got squashed) made life a bit harder i guess so do what you can to avoid pitting and win

twin fillers with direct pipe to top of tank avoid the blowback you get on a standard charger, they are a nightmare to fill.

mine takes about 10 minutes to fill because i can't run the pump at anything over 1/4 speed without soaking my trousers, and the car really needs to be on a slope and facing down it.

going up to a previous post those police chargers if they had the 265 they had six pack engines without the sixpack one way of using up E49 engine components once RTs were cancelled

i.e the hardend crank
H beam rods
Hi-comp pistons with fully floating pins
V8 spring in the fuel pump
and forged sprockets on the cam and crank
but with a 2 bbl carb

some came out in S block config for use with a Torqflite and consequently are a popular choice for racing (if you can find one)

S block is a 265 with an engine block that is cast differently and drilled for a small block bellhousing torqueflit transmission

all others (the majority) cast for borgwarner 35 or 3 speed manual or 4 speed manual

police valiants had a K code

K12
K13 etc

you need to look the the options up as often the number changed just because the car was state police force specific not necessarily beacuse the drivetrain changed

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

New South Wales police Chargers
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Some more
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Luckily the NSW police saw the light and bought themselves something with a decent engine and great brakes ...
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

didn't they have exactly the same brakes??? :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying