68 Charger. Engine swap. THE END.

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

68 Charger. Engine swap. THE END.

Post by morgan »

I know many of you know the car.
68 Charger, lots of options but a 318 engine (Belgium car. Quite common apparently to spec 'em up and then drop the small engine for European market)

Anyhow - Clearly she needs a 440 and I have spent the last couple of years dealing with the cosmetics (the chromework, the interior etc etc) so she now looks something like how I want from the outside.

Long story short - Bought original 440 'the pit' engine from Brutus (before he caught 'the bug' and went power loopy) with a view to getting Blue to help me with a single weekend 'out with the old in with the new'. However, as with the best laid plans etc things moved on a bit.:roll:

Finally got round to pulling the thing but I think I keep finding things that I will 'just do while its out and easy to get to'...

Thought it might be amusing to some of you is all, so will post a few pics as I go along. I am aware this is small beans to some of you out there, but to me its a big undertaking and I am learning as I go. :read2: Hey - we all have to start somewhere right ?

My aim is not for a concours classic - its a 'looks nice from 10 feet' charger with the 440 she deserves...
Enjoy. Will try and keep updated.
Last edited by morgan on Wed Jul 29, 09 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TYREMAN

Post by TYREMAN »

Good on you mate,you do what makes you happy that's the Key..its not about money!(although it helps :D ) or always about numbers matching :read2: just enjoying your car.

Good luck with the work.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Money would help... :)

Anyway - few more.
morgan

Post by morgan »

So , while I'm at it I am now seeing the rusty bits under the hood.
Not mega - usual rusty battery tray (which I patched last year) and a couple of crunchy bits round the susp turret and behind the hinges.

You can guess what happens now. "While I am at it, I may as well do those". Pics show the bubbly stuff I cut out and ground down. Will get a little plate welded in and ground down - you will never know... :)
As usual 40yr old bolts can be tight, and as usual the head came off one. Lost a couple of hours drilling that out.

Also cut out some bits round the turret where they were crispy. The stuff behind is solid, so again a horseshoe shaped plate needs to be made, welded, ground down...
Last edited by morgan on Thu Feb 26, 09 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hey! Looking good! You will be made up when it is done!
I am keeping this Mopar....... SOLD!
morgan

Post by morgan »

So - I'm waiting for the welding so I decide "You know what - I better do the underside whilst the exhaust is out".

I begin scraping...

Been at it a week now, and done about 2/3rds I think. Here are a few in progress. I have been really really happy so far - I expected to find some horrors but it seems the oils, lubricants, fluids and goop over the years have really kept her solid. Excuse photo quality. Key thing here is its all metal.
I am going to treat the insides of the box-sections, POR15 the outside of the boxes (rust proofing metal restoration paint stuff) and the stonechip/waxoyl the flat panels and trans tunnel.

This is as far as I have got at the mo - so heres the last pics. Metal floor. I know I am easily pleased, but its better than chicken-wire and filler right ?
:)
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Frame connectors? While you are under there and the metal is clean, seems rude not to!
I am keeping this Mopar....... SOLD!
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

You should consider yourself lucky that Blue didn't get too involved there Morgan...your interior would have gone over the hedge, together with "500lbs of worthless tinware" and before long, the lightweight panels would arrive!

That's already a good looking car, once that rip snorting motor is in...wahey! :D
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
morgan

Post by morgan »

You see ? THATS what happens. "While I am at it..." :-k

8-)
TYREMAN

Post by TYREMAN »

Yes it makes sense to do as much as you possibly can while the motor is out,that 318 looks huge when its out of the car :shock:

I like the look of that 440 =P~ i like the Blue painted motors.

Have you had to change the Kframe etc for the new motor?
morgan

Post by morgan »

Apparently not for the Charger. I know you do on some of the others.
Blue was kind enough to spend an hour or so with me when I first got it to help me kit out all the bits I need from 440source. (all the ancills needed, pulleys, brackets, that sort of thing). New engine mounts and she will drop into the original frame.

Expect a much longer post if it doesnt :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

looking good so far mate are you going to respray the engine bay while it is out ???
morgan

Post by morgan »

Yep - should have mentioned that.

Engine bay will be gloss black.
Engine block will be silver.
Engine ancills will be Chrome (filter, rocker covers)

Not to everyones taste, and certainly not traditional - but car is already a bespoke colour.
I think that a gunmetal Charger with a black and silver engine bay will look fantastic... Each to their own and all that. 8-)
Kev

Post by Kev »

Great Thread. Keep it up! And the color combo will surely illicit some debate!! I'd go fluoro orange engine and gun metal (body color) engine bay. But as you say, each to their own. Reckon it will look great :thumbright:
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

stick to what you want to do mate don't let anyone on here influence your decision

from what you have said sounds like its going to look awsome mate :thumbright: