Coughed up for a Koffle

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Coughed up for a Koffle

Post by Anonymous »

After stripping down the Bee's engine and finding it to be a stock 440 60 over with flowed big valve 906 heads it was hard to believe that it ran 10 seconds at the Nats with car not realy set up and was supposed to have run a best of 9.6 over the pond.
So those heads must have been well worked, and worked very well but ultimately a restriction on the engine.
So the choice was to stroke it and find some bigger flowing heads or find another engine.
nearly did a deal which did not work out and basically was almost at the point of ordering the stroker gear from 440 scource when I spotted a post from Ade about a trick 545 engine availiable from Big dog in Luton.
A couple of calls and the deal was done realy not knowing anything about the lump but trusting in Ade's description of an awsome bit of kit.
Picked it up the day after Essex arena and lo and behold it turns out to be very special.
The engine was originally built by Koffle for a rail in the states and bought by our very own Cuda Mark and was originally in his Cuda before its Hemi transplant.
Mark had kept some excellent Data when fettling the engine and that gives us a bench mark (sorry Mark no pun intended) for the rebuild.
IT is now in the pIt cave stripped to the block and ready for a rebuild.
Here are a few pics and will keep you posted. :thumbright:
Anonymous

Bump

Post by Anonymous »

Bump pics are a bit small try again
mopar_mark

Re: Coughed up for a Koffle

Post by mopar_mark »

Knightcharger wrote:The engine was originally built by Koffle for a rail in the states and bought by our very own Cuda Mark and was originally in his Cuda before its Hemi transplant
Bob, maybe I wasn't clear. The motor was originally built by Koffel for Al Cook, but I only purchased the Block, Crank & Cam was thrown in.

I rebuilt the motor & sourced the B1's from a guy in the states who had them on a rail. The heads are the bllx & really get the motor on song....never seen a set over hear with similar porting

I know one thing for sure, it will definitly wake your car up & kind of pleasing to see that it has finally found a place to stay & be looked after :thumbright:
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

As you can see the block is coated with a Teflon type paint inside and the followers are bushed on one side and the gallery is bored out to the first two followers.
In addition as we all know 60 over is supposed to be the max bore on these blocks but this one is nearly 100 over?
Which makes the pistons special to the block, luckily Mark invested in several spares which came wth the engine.
Anonymous

Clearer picture

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks Mark,
As you said, you never actually ran this lump to its full potential before changing directions so it will be interesting to see what it is capable of.
Our first move will be to gap the rings for Nos just in case it wants a sniff to go from 01 to 99 :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Looks a good bit of kit , should get ole BeelZbob running the #s.

Bob's only just pulled this appart so gotta source some info , ie: cam specs , think this is gonna be rebuilt to run sniff , so gotta measure thickness of the piston crown/rings to see if it will be up for the job , bearing in mind the pistons have a 1.197" CH. :shock:

This is a 74 400 block , 4.437" bore (.097" over)/4.413" stroke , bushed lifter bores on pas side gallery.

Will be an interesting one.

:thumbright:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 10, 09 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Coulor

Post by Anonymous »

Wonder what colour we should paint it?
Orange?
Red?
Black? :D
Anonymous

Re: Coulor

Post by Anonymous »

Knightcharger wrote:Wonder what colour we should paint it?
Orange?
Red?
Black? :D
DON'T ASK MARK. :help: :D
Anonymous

First things first

Post by Anonymous »

Some of you astute members will note one side of the engine mounts have been removed from both sides of the block so that means the engine will be plate mounted front and rear.
In addition I have to decide on the transmission and as there are some tight financial restraints so it looks like I will be asking Blue to rebuild the original box to take 1000hp plus.
This is getting insane :shock:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Gotta keep up with the Mabbotts! ;)

Good to see you're sorted now Bob :thumbright:
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Like the hat Al can you get me one ? Oh yes and the overalls very nice !!!

rope ??
John Rutledge
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Some good photos Bob,keep posting.
Rich..
At my Worst,I'm at my Best ......
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Chuffing 'eck, Bob. Those pistons look about as big as my head! :shock: 8-)

Lots of build up pics, please. Intricate details in laymans terms would be good, too. :thumbright: :read2:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Koffel equals the mutt's nuts in my book Bob, those rods look very special too, do you know who made 'em?

Interesting thread too...I was going to suggest that at that bore size you should sonic test the cylinder walls, but on second thoughts you'd probably have a heart attack mate!:shock:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Ivor wrote:Koffel equals the mutt's nuts in my book Bob, those rods look very special too, do you know who made 'em?
BME
Ivor wrote:
Interesting thread too...I was going to suggest that at that bore size you should sonic test the cylinder walls, but on second thoughts you'd probably have a heart attack mate!:shock:
Motors done a few seasons now, so if it was going to have problems with core shift, it would of happened by now. Ignorance can also be bliss ;)
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."