A100 restoration

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Jon Connolly

Next

Post by Jon Connolly »

Infilled cage and constructed plate steel base to offer my ar5e a bit of protection. Mocked up steering position and modified steering box by extending drag arm and fitting new race bearing. Built new steering colomn with rose joints and knuckles and removeable wheel ( don`t plan on doing that much steering with wheel ).
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Loving it! Personally, my fave build on here. Don't forget, any parts taken from the truck you don't need. I will be interested in!
I am keeping this Mopar....... SOLD!
Jon Connolly

Next

Post by Jon Connolly »

All brackets went on for securing items ( pedals, brake components, harness etc ). Cage was primed then sprayed satin black. Sheet metal foot troughs made.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I would seriously consider making sure you have a soft seat under your bum and good back support. The guys that drive wheelie cars a lot complain of back problems all the time.
Jon Connolly

Next

Post by Jon Connolly »

Built sheet metal ducting to duct air into radiator and transmission cooler from underneath. Custom alluminium radiator and trans cooler were built, again, I wanted something completely over the top :D

Original fuel tank was modified ( I can`t weld stainless but we can do it here at work ) with new filler neck, vent tube and dip tube.
Jon Connolly

Next

Post by Jon Connolly »

Brake system went in. Left foot pedal operates both front brakes. Bought and modified 2 rally car hydraulic handbrakes for rear braking. Each circuit has proportioning valve and cylinder. Fire extinguisher system installed with piped nozzles to seat and fuel tank positions.
charger01

Post by charger01 »

Some serious fabricating there. Hope that steering set up doesn't come adrift just when the front wheels slam down :pale: Looking forward to seeing it run :thumbright: =D> =D> =D>
Jon Connolly

Next

Post by Jon Connolly »

Completely rewired the truck ... all yank wiring was toast and thrown away. Fitted new alternator. Built control panel with secondary panel housing all relays. Made throttle cable. Made up fuel lines and fitted. All water hoses were renewed and block flushed out.

At this stage decided to call the truck COLOR ME DODGE ( Roger Lindamood actually did most the early testing on little red wagon, maverick took all the glory ! ). Put the name on in vinyl for a few months just to make sure I was happy with the name and sizes.
Jon Connolly

Especially for you Jeff

Post by Jon Connolly »

Truck was sent to my good friend`s body shop. All body blemishes were repaired. Truck was primed, flated, reprimed, flatted.

Dupont colour code y497, colour ref g1484

House of Kolor orange pearl f18

Then my mate Dan ( drives a Datsun estate bought off willdatsun ) did the lettering. Hand mixed one shot. Orange + silver + yellow = gold.

He then got a plastic wrapper from a back of biscuits and dipped it in some 2 pack gold that was kicking around the spray shop to give the letters a mottled effect.

Then did the borders and shadowed it up.

Left it to harden for about 10 days then gave it 3 coats of clear.
Jon Connolly

Last post ... sorry for hogging the messageboard

Post by Jon Connolly »

Final pics
Blue

Post by Blue »

Proper mental that! Hat's off to you for bringing in a bit of showmanship. Just thinking, won't you have to do something about the oil pans on the engine and transmission? Will the pickups get uncovered when it goes skyward and all the oil rushes to somewhere it wouldn't normally be? In the case of the transmission I'm wondering if it will pour out of the front vent.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Jon Connolly

Post by Jon Connolly »

Hello Blue

Yes that is something I have considered and the answer is I don`t know.

The engine and box aren`t level during normal operation ( i.e they slant down towards the front of the truck ). This in turn negates the angle of the engine and box when it goes up the other way.

Part of the testing process is bound to include playing with fluid levels and maybe moving / altering pick up points.

I`m not concerned with the Halibrand box, that will be fine.
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Completely hatstand. Love it! 8-) :thumbright:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Jon, that is an epic performance mate, you are to be congratulated for the hard work and dedication that you have put in to what can only be described as the MMA's wackiest Mopar!

It's a brilliant combination of nostalgia and total bonkerness...where the Sam Hill did you get that rad?! :shock:
Last edited by Ivor on Fri Apr 24, 09 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com