Bendix to Hilux Caliper mod

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete

Post by Pete »

Excellent, Glen, what is the wheel clearance like with this modification?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
ANTON

Post by ANTON »

Thanks fro posting that Glen.
Those are the exact calipers I've got.I'll be taking the lot a an engineer i know for him to make the brackets.
I pick up a disc master cylinder off Clivey last nite at he Chelsea Cruise so i have all the parts.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Looks bloody good Nice one!

if you had taken the disk down 1/4- half an inch would they have bolted up without the bracket??

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
ANTON

Post by ANTON »

to get it bolt straight up i reckon you would need at least 1/2 inch of outside diameter but then you will also have to machine the center hub to clear the caliper(See picture 1).The offset of the pad and disc is about 1/4 inch out of line as-well
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

All good stuff , useful for anyone else thinking of going disc setup for not much $$$$$$$$$$$. :thumbright:

Any way you can relocate the hose to hard line bracket? , or maybe tie it up to take the stress off the bend?

As said , great stuff , most aftermarket disc setups are Bananarama! , cost a lot of $$$$$$ too.

:thumbright:
Blue

Post by Blue »

A good bit of hands on tech, just what the board needs, thanks for taking the time.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ANTON wrote:to get it bolt straight up i reckon you would need at least 1/2 inch of outside diameter but then you will also have to machine the center hub to clear the caliper(See picture 1).The offset of the pad and disc is about 1/4 inch out of line as-well
Ahhh

damn A bod front hubs must be a bit smaller in 2 dimenions. will have to see how Kev_B gets on with his.

he's got the slightly smaller caliper 4 pot 2 big 2 little
soild disks on aussie A body spindles. should just bolt on with a little bit of clearancing of the pad inner radius and about 3mm off the diameter of the disk. i.e the crusty bit

guess you loose some benefit for every mm or so that comes off but gain from having bigger better supported pads.

so i know it works on

68 69 US dart
VF solids VG VH vented aussie
with little messing

but brackets needed for US B body

now the aussie falcon also used the same calipers in 71 wonder if it works on them.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

great conversion, if anyone can draw these up im sure i coild knock up a few sets for reasonable cost.
too much is never enough
Pete

Post by Pete »

Getting a supply of spindles would be the hard bit unless you can do it on Drum spindles....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
ANTON

Post by ANTON »

TrevD
I've done a cad drawing of the bracket as i have just dropped the parts to my engineer and he will have my brackets done by Friday. Making the brackets isn't the only mod you need to do to get these to fit, you need file the caliper a bit and if you want the pads to make full contact to the full width of the discs you will also need to modify the pads back plates.
Once it finish mine i will post detailed photos and details for everyone.

I think it could be possible to do this conversion on drum spindles if you can mill two flat areas on the reverse and then drill them and tap them. turning clearance may be the only problem as the mounting bracket will be closer to the center of the spindle and might interfere with the UCA. I might look at this when i do the swap and take my drum spindles off.