1969 Chrysler Valiant VF Soft-top

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

1969 Chrysler Valiant VF Soft-top

Post by Anonymous »

Should really have started this a while ago, but never really got round to it.

Bought the car in 2005 from just outside Manchester, it was Taxed, MOT'd and in reasonable condition a bit of rust round the rear arches and one of the front wings. Drove back home to Perth no problems, continued to use it whenever weather allowed. Didnt change much until Kev Bulmers Ex Brisbane Taxi 318 came up for sale in early 2008. I bought the motor, box(with fully manual valve bodies) and nitrous setup from Kev, then got the 8 3/4 axle from him a few months later. A trip to Florida in May 08 proved useful for picking up parts when the dollar was at 2:1, got a B&M Megashifter, full set of Autometer gauges, linelock, MSD 6AL Digital Ignition, MSD Coil and a few others bits and pieces. Swapped the motor & box in about July 08 fitting the Megashifter and ignition at the same time, the motor runs great so back to using it again whenever i could.

Used it a fair bit this year, went back to Florida late May this year brought back a spring relocation kit so time to change the axle now, upgrade to -8 fuel line and fit landcruiser calipers to the front.
Kev

Post by Kev »

Brought a tear to me eye! 8-) :thumbright:
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Had a very productive day, got the new spring mounts fitted and made a new instrument cluster.
Also fitted a new oil seal so axle is ready to be bolted in now.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Moving the springs wasn't as bad a job as i thought it might be, only tricky bit is getting the rear of the chassis drilled as there isn't enough room between the chassis and the spare wheel well to get access and the other side is not as bad but the inside of the rear quarter still makes it a bit of a task.
Philth

Post by Philth »

Nice work Kev!

That engine still a rev-happy mutha?
1973 Dodge Challenger
MMA 616
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Philth wrote:Nice work Kev!

That engine still a rev-happy mutha?
Sure is, runs sweet & sounds great. :D
Kev

Post by Kev »

I recognise them springs/axle/exhaust!!! All bolt in ok? Gonna be at the Nats with the Drugs to take out small block A-bod class??? Apparently if an Oz A bod wins again the future trophies will have the writing upside down....Or Oz cars banned from MMA, if some peeps had their way ;) Looking good and great to see it happening. What was the sb A bod class win last year and what size was the sb? Any advice via here or pm if needed. :thumbright:
<center>
Pete

Post by Pete »

Jon Connolly picked up the win with a 340ci in a Valiant (2 door, of course ;) )
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Kev
Axle in and all bolted up had to fabricate a prop yours was too short and mine a bit long and mine had small yoke, but all done now will post pics tonight, just about to go order braided hose and ends for fuel line, going -8 and going to drill out sender plate and make a pick up from -8 pipe. A bit confused about the plumbing for the fuel with the nitrous on do i need a Y junction 1 going to the carb then 1 for going to the nitrous solenoid? If you have any pics of yours with nitrous connected up could you post them here. Just had a major set back with rear wheels i'll post details later, but yeah hopefully out for the Nats with the drugs on!!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Got axle all bolted in OK had to alter propshaft but otherwise straight forward.

Then went to fit the 15x10 Slot mags i bought a few months ago from an ad on eurodragster, seller had them as 5x4.5 but turns out they are actually 5x4.75 and 5x5, absolutly gutted i've had them sitting here for ages and didn't even think to check PCD. Pretty stuck now as i cant even stick my old slots on as they are 5x4 if anyone has any 15x10s let me know ideally 3" backspace but not essential.
Kev

Post by Kev »

Here you go, probably adequate for a 318. :thumbright: Probably should have had some fuel return lines from the carb and nitrous though.........
<center>
Kev

Post by Kev »

Small Block 2008 Mopar Nats winners

1st Jonathan Connolly -- Plymouth Valiant -- 12.38

2nd Craig fearnley -- Dodge Dart-- 12.76

Good Luck, Fella! Don't forget to use fat gas!
8-)
<center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ordered fuel line, ends and brake pipe adaptors for line-lock late friday afternoon, quite surprised when they arrived this morning, well everything apart from bulkhead fittings, but they should be here in the next couple of days.