Dave Robsons Challenger R/T

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Bit of paint on now. Thanks Matty. :wink:
Attachments
DSCF0001.jpg
DSCF0001.jpg (79.24 KiB) Viewed 7276 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Nice and straight panels.
Attachments
DSCF0017.jpg
DSCF0017.jpg (71.73 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
DSCF0023.jpg
DSCF0023.jpg (36.71 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
DSCF0015.jpg
DSCF0015.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
DSCF0010.jpg
DSCF0010.jpg (75.51 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
DSCF0018.jpg
DSCF0018.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Mainly for the curious and the guys still learning I thought I would post some photos of our cylinder heads. I have just cleaned up this one.

The heads are the most important part for making power. If they flow too little they limit the power you make. However if they flow too much than you need for your application then they do not work as well and you can actually loose some power. In particular at low rpms.

These are stock type 1968-1970 "906" cylinder heads. They have been fitted with slightly bigger than stock valves and hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel. the ports have then been "ported" by Dave Hughes to his "Stage 1" spec.

This entails opening out the port bowls to the size of the new valves and enlarging the stock port runners slightly. Anything in the stock casting that gets in the airflow (like the valve stem guide) is smoothed. He leaves them with a smooth surface finish on the exhausts and a slightly rougher finish on the intakes. He also cuts valve reliefs into the sides of the chambers to give some airflow around the back edge of the valves.

I have then taken them a little further by polishing the exhaust runners even more and smoothing the combustion chambers to get rid of the rough cast finish. I also blend the floor of the chamber into the valve seat and blend the valve reliefs in a bit better. These reliefs are matched with notches cut into the top of each cylinder just above where the top piston ring comes to.

There are two reasons for smoothing and polishing. One reason is flow. the better the airflow the more fuel and air gets in each cylinder so you make more power.

The second reason is to reflect heat.
The more heat is contained in the engine cylinder during combustion the higher the gas pressure and the more torque you make. Also less heat gets into the water jacket.

The same with the exhaust. The more heat is kept in the exhaust the cooler the water in the engine and the faster the exhaust moves down the exhaust pipe. This draws more spent gas from the cylinder making more room for fresh air and fuel.

These are small things but all these small things add up.
Attachments
Surface finish in the intake bowls is left on the rough side. this helps keep fuel in suspension.
Surface finish in the intake bowls is left on the rough side. this helps keep fuel in suspension.
Intakebowl.jpg (138.48 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
Intakes are slightly larger than stock. requiring a slight trim of the intake gasket.
Intakes are slightly larger than stock. requiring a slight trim of the intake gasket.
Intakerunners.jpg (105.01 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
Exhaust are polished as much as I can with my tools.
Exhaust are polished as much as I can with my tools.
Exhaust.jpg (141.26 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
This one intake valve seat gets a little thin in one spot but is still within spec.
This one intake valve seat gets a little thin in one spot but is still within spec.
Chamber.jpg (109.43 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
Head
Head
head.jpg (105.54 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Progress still very very slow. But at least the engine is starting to look more like an engine instead of a bunch of random parts.
Attachments
DSCF0019[2].jpg
DSCF0019[2].jpg (131.06 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Here are some shots of the manual six pack set-up. It is not quite finished. This is just a mock-up to get the rather complicated linkage working as it should.
Attachments
I just want to stress again that with the air filter on you can't really see any of this.
I just want to stress again that with the air filter on you can't really see any of this.
DSCF0005.jpg (110.56 KiB) Viewed 7281 times
Note the lack of any of the vacuum diaphrams you would find on a normal six pack.
Note the lack of any of the vacuum diaphrams you would find on a normal six pack.
DSCF0003.jpg (111 KiB) Viewed 7281 times
DSCF0001.jpg
DSCF0001.jpg (126.91 KiB) Viewed 7281 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Forgot to say.
I made a little cover for the choke well the other day.

It was just a bit of scrap ally plate I had kicking about and a couple of bolts out of the parts bin that I ground and polished on the heads.
Attachments
DSCF0007.jpg
DSCF0007.jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 7276 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

You see what I mean about not being able to see the carbs?
Looking at that photo i will have to do something with the front of the carb plate. maybe just paint it black?
Attachments
DSCF00030.jpg
DSCF00030.jpg (88.14 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Found some old photos. May as well post them here.
Attachments
Members Mopar311.jpg
Members Mopar311.jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
Members Challengers 279.jpg
Members Challengers 279.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (28.03 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
DSCF0026.jpg
DSCF0026.jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
DSCF0006.jpg
DSCF0006.jpg (109.31 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

This looks a mess. :(

I am trying to run -8AN right up to the six pack and then branch off on -6AN into each carb.

I have managed it but I think it looks ugly. It does not help that I have found one of the carb adaptors is a bit thicker than the rest (center carb) so it kinks the "fuel rail" slightly. I will move thet one to the far end I think.

And yes Duncan. I am going to take the gold paint off the carbs and give them a bit of a polish instead. ;)
Attachments
DSCF0004[1]a.jpg
DSCF0004[1]a.jpg (132.08 KiB) Viewed 7202 times
Last edited by Dave-R on Tue Oct 10, 06 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

It looks as if I will have to shelve the Challenger for a while.

On top of other finacial pressures we just found out there is a good chance my wife Diana will be laid off work and as she earns more than me that is a bit worrying.

Her employer, the Inland Revenue, has about 100,000 workers. They want rid of 25,000 in total (1 in 4) in stages up to sometime in 2011. But initially they want rid of 300 staff in Newcastle alone by 2008. More after that if initial National quotas are not met.

This is double the figures they were told before today. Those that are not laid off will be re-trained and some will be re-graded (up or down they don't know) to suit the new working practises.

So we had better get our house in order just in case.
That means I doubt very much the Challenger will be on the road next year. Not something I am very happy about. :(
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Only that my wife has now heard that 800 jobs at her place have to go in Newcastle now. 500 over the next year or two.

The only progress is that I might have sold the Jeep. If the guy turns up on Sunday then the cash will go towards paying off some debt but most of all we need to get away for a week on holiday. Diana is still upset about the dog and I don't know when we will be able to afford a holiday again. So fingers crossed the guy turns up.

However!

Through seling some other stuff and doing jobs for people I am in a position to buy a pair of ceramic headers for myself as my Christmas present. :) Once I have those I will be installing the engine, trans and K-frame all as one unit with the headers in place.

So look out for a few photos after Christmas.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

AllKiller wrote:Fingers crossed, Good luck to ya Dave and Diana :pentacool: .

Ceramic headers they sound nice, what make ??
Thanks mate. I still have not made up my mind but probably Dougs as they are a few hundred dollars less that TTIs and I have not heard of any fitment issues. Bit of a gamble. But time will tell.

I'm still wondering if 2" primaries are too much for my engine or not. :?
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Blue wrote:I'd go for the 2" Dave, if you don't you"ll be wishing you had in a couple of years time when the wicks been turned up a bit more, do you see aftermarket heads in your future?
This is why I am wondering what to do. I do not intend to change the heads in the future. I don't want more power than it has now. I just want more efficiency and refinement from the engine. So what I want is something to work with the current combo. And last a long time.

I may re-build the short block one day with lighter pistons and rods but that is about it.

My understanding (from memory) is that larger primaries will give less low end torque but more top end horsepower?

The new cam however should give more low end torque and slightly less peak horsepower than before. But the loss of horsepower is at the rpms above my shift limit anyway and average HP over my shift rpm will be higher.

So I am wondering how the 2" headers (3.5" collectors going into a 3" system) will effect the power curve??
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Dave so the one on there now or were..... 1.7/8" s or 1 3/4 ?

Low to mid grunt is smaller and longer tubes
High end bigger and shorter tubes
or
Heavy street car smaller tubes,
light race car big tubes

Street 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 383 to 440
street strip 1 7/8 to 2" 383 to 440
strip only 2 to 2 1/8 440 to 500

hope that helps
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

AllKiller wrote:hope that helps
Not really. :lol:

Yeah the existing ones are 1-7/8ths So only 1/8th smaller than the ones I am thinking of.

I don't know the length of the tubes but they look something like the photo below.

With well over 500hp at the crank I am probably boarderline between the current size and the 2".
Attachments
dou-d452_w.jpg
dou-d452_w.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 7207 times