Dave Robsons Challenger R/T

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

There are a couple of jobs left to finish before I install the engine.

I have to finish cleaning up the outside of the inner fenders. I have not even started on the drivers side yet. The fender brace on that side needs a little welding.

I had better hold off on cleaning the engine bay until that is all done.

I also need to buy a new trans input seal. I never re-use that seal if I can help it because chances are it will leak once installed.

Apart from that I am ready to go forward and fit the engine. But what is left may take some time as it will be too much work for me at the moment.
Attachments
Not started this side yet. Needs some welding anyway.
Not started this side yet. Needs some welding anyway.
IMG_0759.jpg (93.35 KiB) Viewed 8586 times
This is the side I started.
This is the side I started.
IMG_0758.jpg (152.4 KiB) Viewed 8586 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I know what you are saying Dunc but I did a mock-up with a few bolts when the engine was in and it looked quite nice having stainless bolts on the fenders matching the engine. In particular the intake and water pump bolts. It just keeps the same theme all around the engine bay.

The aluminium radiator is another example that has to blend in.

I am not sure it would look nice with any other colour than Hemi Orange. On a dark colour in particular it would look horrible.

The stainless bolts on the hood hinge are already in and you would be pushed to notice. I wanted the bolts to match the intake gasket tray and end pieces which I rubbed to bare metal and clear coated.

The bolts are not polished - just a natural finish because polished would be going to far.

I have enough polished bits on the engine what with the header pipes, distributor and front pulleys. That is why I have not replaced the alternator bracket with a stainless version. I needed some black in there to go with the valve covers and air cleaner base.
Although at some future point I might fit a chrome alternator to balance with the pulleys.

I also have no intention of using unpainted stainless bolts anywhere normally visible when the hood and trunk are closed.

At the end of the day I could always get them painted if it does look naff.

One other reason to fit stainless bolts on the fenders.
When Matty painted the car he left the fenders in place. But this was before the fenders were aligned correctly with the doors. I was going to align everything myself but Matty told me not to because he was taking the car apart anyway.

So when the fenders are moved to their correct location there are some unpainted bits exposed that were under the bolts. I could have touched them up but Matty says he gave me the paint and will not discuss it further.

Lucky for me I could get stainless washers that are a larger diameter and should cover the unpainted bits OK - after treating the metal under the bolts first of course.
Attachments
hood.jpg
hood.jpg (81.93 KiB) Viewed 8769 times
bolt.jpg
bolt.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 8769 times
fender.jpg
fender.jpg (95.98 KiB) Viewed 8769 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

3-inch tall air filter.

The standard 2-inch filter does not flow as much as a high performance 440 needs.

It should fit under the R/T hood if I measured right. If not I have a few ideas how to make it fit.
Attachments
IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
NEW FILTER.
NEW FILTER.
IMG_0856.jpg (99.28 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
ORIGINAL FILTER.
ORIGINAL FILTER.
IMG_0855.jpg (98.78 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Some MSD ignition stuff and some shock extensions although I might change the shocks at some point.
Attachments
IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg (127.28 KiB) Viewed 8636 times
IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0864.jpg (141.88 KiB) Viewed 8636 times
IMG_0863.jpg
IMG_0863.jpg (146.1 KiB) Viewed 8636 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Combo oil/trans oil cooler. Bigger/thicker than my old one.
Attachments
IMG_0870.jpg
IMG_0870.jpg (139.78 KiB) Viewed 8628 times
IMG_0869.jpg
IMG_0869.jpg (134.7 KiB) Viewed 8628 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Someone was asking me the other day how I managed to fit -8AN fittings via a 3/8 NPT hole into my Carter Fuel pump which only comes with 1/4 NPT holes.

So here is how.

It would be nice if it was simple but it isn't. You cannot just drill the existing hole bigger. If you did that then one hole would cut through the side of the boss the hole is in and the pump would be ruined.

So the larger hole has to be cut off-center from the existing hole.

Second problem is threading the hole.
It is not a deep hole so the 3/8th tap will not go far enough in. I had to grind a bit off the end of the tap so that the -8AN adaptor would go in far enough to seal.

So. It is not a simple job but I feel it is worth the hassle.

Not so much of a hassle for any of you lot of course. Because I already figured out how to do it for you! :)
Attachments
IMG_1054b.jpg
IMG_1054b.jpg (122.82 KiB) Viewed 8583 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

It is time to call in all those who offered to help me fit the engine and trans in the Challenger!

I just need to figure out where the bolts are that fit the bumper brackets to the chassis rails and then I am ready. :D
Attachments
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG (144.6 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG (201.04 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Thanks to Nigle (Rebel) and Davey Horn for their help today.

Thank you Steve (Allkiller) for the offer but I couldn't let you drive all this way just to help me for three hours. Plus I have been having a very bad week health wise so it is just as well really. But thanks very much anyway.
Attachments
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1072.jpg (130.37 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
IMG_1071.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg (127.63 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
IMG_1066.jpg
IMG_1066.jpg (209.54 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
Last edited by Dave-R on Sun Apr 29, 07 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I have a few ideas/options.

Notch the cross beam under the hood buldge.

Shave a few mm off the intake.

Use thinner gaskets (mine total 6mm)

Make a new flat lid for the air cleaner.

Turn the existing air cleaner lid upside down.

The latter may not be as daft as it sounds as it would probably improve airflow into the carbs on a filter as tall as that.

If it looks stupid I could make a ally plate to cover the existing lid so it looks flat on top and fills the ridge around the edges. That way i dont need to damage the steel lid.

These are all just ideas. what I need to do is finish the rest of the car so I know that the hood is at its correct resting height. I dont have the fenders on so it may be sitting tighter than it should.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Well Duncan didn't like my gold six pack carbs so I had to change them just for him. :lol:

SO DO THESE LOOK OK NOW OR WHAT DUNCAN? :D

I also managed to get a lot of the suspension on the car last week.

But I am too ill to do any more now. This is it now. If I don't get an effective treatment from the hospital i will not be able to finish the car.

So fingers crossed eh?
Attachments
IMG_1172.jpg
IMG_1172.jpg (197.29 KiB) Viewed 8681 times
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg (203.17 KiB) Viewed 8681 times
IMG_1168.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg (209.31 KiB) Viewed 8681 times
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg (201.69 KiB) Viewed 8681 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Yeah I hated that mess of pipe fittings I tried to make as fuel lines for the carbs. I never fitted it. Horrible it was.

The next plan was to make a fuel log. I gathered all the bits I would need. Bought a bench pillar drill and a 9/16ths drill bit to make 3/8NPT sockets on the log.

But when I went to ProMax to buy a new centre carb baseplate I found they made these flexable -6AN line kits for the six pack.

I took their hand off for one. :D
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I have had to modify the air cleaner baseplate a little by cutting off the wide skirt that normally runs around the base.

This was because the MSD dizzy and fuel pressure gauge were in the way of it.

All I need to do is make a flat sheet metal top for it and the three inch tall filter should clear most of the underside of the hood.
Attachments
IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1185.jpg (206.13 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg (175.27 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Made the lid for the air cleaner today.

Flat 1mm steel. About 3/4 inch more headroom than the standard lid.

Going to paint it Rover Vermillion same as the old one was. Got some nice custom nuts on their way from Trev to hold it down too. Plus longer studs.

The angle iron I welded to the inside serves three purposes.

First it stops the center of the lid bending down as I tighten the nuts.

Second it helps bend the air down into the carbs and fills what would be a low pressure void.

Third it acts to hold the filter out at the front and back. Same as the tabs on the sides. So the filter locks in place.

My welding hand was shaking badly. I mean really shaking. About a centimetre each way. But I managed to hit my targets eventually and get good, if not pretty, welds.

So it just needs a little filler and paint to finish that.

I want to use one of those big 440SIXPACK decals that went on the original lids. Just to Bananarama! off.
Attachments
IMG_1187.jpg
IMG_1187.jpg (198.12 KiB) Viewed 8749 times
IMG_1188.jpg
IMG_1188.jpg (191.67 KiB) Viewed 8749 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I don't want too much black.

Original six pack air filter lids are Hemi Orange neil. That is, the same colour as the bodywork. A bit more red than the engine paint.

The Rover colour is near enough for that.

Another option is to dress the surface with a sanding disc in a vertical herring bone fashion such as I do on the clock faces I make from time to time.

Or just sand it smooth.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

mo_malone wrote:looks good Dave,have you been at it long?
At it long? You could say that. :lol:

Mainly down to lack of time and money. And lately serious illness.

I have owned the car for over 17 years now and have been working on it since.

I broke the engine at the 2004 EuroNats. Then decided to get the bodywork done while fixing the engine during 05-06. I got the car back from the bodyshop in December 05. I've been re-assembling it ever since. :roll:

The plan was to get it finished by March/April this year. But being skint last year and very ill since January that has gone out of the window.
Now I am taking my time about it because i know it will not be finished this summer even if i worked as hard as i can. So, if not towards the end of this year, then next March will do.