Challenger getting work at last - 7 year on update.

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

I'm keeping an eye on this one, Matt is gonna do good stuff, I just know it :thumbright:
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
MattH

Post by MattH »

Roof is next job after the rear quarters, I can either try to cut in the spare roof panel, or weld in the sunroof panel.
I am starting to favour the latter because the panel is re-inforced around the edge, fits the hole perfectly and has a joddle edge to it.

If I go the Sam Posey route, then the roof needs to be black but painted not a vinyl. Vinyl will cover a few sins, but someone has suggested vinyl wrapping??
I assume this will cover marks a bit better than paint and still be smooth and look like paint.

Anyone done this before and know what the results are like??
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Roger

Post by Roger »

MattH wrote:Roof is next job after the rear quarters, I can either try to cut in the spare roof panel, or weld in the sunroof panel.
I am starting to favour the latter because the panel is re-inforced around the edge, fits the hole perfectly and has a joddle edge to it.

If I go the Sam Posey route, then the roof needs to be black but painted not a vinyl. Vinyl will cover a few sins, but someone has suggested vinyl wrapping??
I assume this will cover marks a bit better than paint and still be smooth and look like paint.

Vinyl wrap will cover nothing at all! You will see everything. You might as well paint it.

Not sure a joddled edge is what you need on a roof panel :?
MattH

Post by MattH »

[quote="RogerNot sure a joddled edge is what you need on a roof panel :?[/quote]

It is inside so the sunroof panel has an edge to it, and sits flush into the roof from underneath, I tried to reapir the whole mechansism years ago but it is shot to bits.

It might make more sense with pictures. Bear with me til I get to that bit.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Roger wrote:
MattH wrote:Roof is next job after the rear quarters, I can either try to cut in the spare roof panel, or weld in the sunroof panel.

Vinyl wrap will cover nothing at all! You will see everything. You might as well paint it.

Not sure a joddled edge is what you need on a roof panel :?

Joggle, surely :-k

Grammatical technicalities aside, good to see you getting on with the Chally Matt :thumbright:
MattH

Post by MattH »

Thank you Rob, I stand corrected.
I thought it was joddle for years, now I know.
:read2:
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Joggled edges have been used in shipbuilding since the days of wooden ships and the practice continued when the ship builders moved from cutting a notch in the end of the timbers to doing the same with steel.

However, both Joggle and joddle are now modern parlence. Personally I'm a joggler!

Here endeth the lesson! :study:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Edge setter :lol:
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
sinny

Post by sinny »

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... hole-punch

Whatever you call them they are a handy thing to have. :boomboom:
Shaun 'Moparless' Senior
MMA Club Chairman
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

It Will be great to see that back on the road again. Its along time ago when I owned it 1986 I think. Had many a good time driving it around and with my dodgy looks I needed something to pull the girls with. I think I swapped it for a small block Chevy engine about £750. Wish I could get one for that price now. Good luck with the rebuild mate
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

DaveBishop wrote:It Will be great to see that back on the road again. Its along time ago when I owned it 1986 I think. Had many a good time driving it around and with my dodgy looks I needed something to pull the girls with. I think I swapped it for a small block Chevy engine about £750. Wish I could get one for that price now. Good luck with the rebuild mate
I dunno Dave, I though all the girls liked a mullet back in the 80's :lol:
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

The Mullet part is the only bit I've got left! :oops:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
MattH

Post by MattH »

DaveBishop wrote:It Will be great to see that back on the road again. Its along time ago when I owned it 1986 I think. Had many a good time driving it around and with my dodgy looks I needed something to pull the girls with. I think I swapped it for a small block Chevy engine about £750. Wish I could get one for that price now. Good luck with the rebuild mate
Did you look like this back then Dave??
Attachments
1979-3shrunk.jpg
1979-3shrunk.jpg (24.75 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

Matt it was Blue when I got it. Its good to see that didn't sell it and have your enthusiasm back for the old Girl
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts