Dont be shy - what you up to?

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

bazbiker

Post by bazbiker »

sinny wrote: Someone had fitted the wrong gearbox (from a gt I think) & had cut the tunnel as the gear stick sat further forward :shock:
Probably been a box from a Corsair or mk1 Cortina!
1974 Chrysler Valiant VJ Charger
1970 Dodge Charger
Steve

Post by Steve »

nice to see everybody busy at it.....(I wish!)....Ive had to do the old decorating duties so I can justify a bit of time on the Polara as and when. I have managed to do a couple of bits though.....Ive repainted the rusty/primered underside of my bonnet, stripped and repainted my radiator and tidyed up my rusted A/C pump and pulley. Looks OK under bonnet now. Ive also been today to a local bodyshop who have given me a reasonable quote to sort out the ropey paint on the top of my bonnet and wing tops. As I thought, bonnet, panel at base of screen and wing tops into the tops of the doors need to be stripped, reprimed and painted to do it properly. The chap at the shop seemed very knowledgeable and was keen to steer me towards having it sorted properly rather than trying to patch repair the paint here and there. Got some bad runs in paint and some areas that look like they were contaminated prior to painting. Basically, in his words, the result of a poorly prepped, rushed job at some time in the past. The old 'looks great at 10ft' job. Dont mind paying for a good job as Ive managed to do everything else so far myself. Booked in for 28th for three days so looking forward to seeing the results....photos to follow when done. heres a few pics of work so far this month.....cheers, Steve
Attachments
SDC10194.JPG
SDC10194.JPG (199.78 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
SDC10192.JPG
SDC10192.JPG (180.08 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
SDC10191.JPG
SDC10191.JPG (222.32 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Bryan S

Post by Bryan S »

Looks good under bonnet, 383. :thumbright:
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Yeah, slow down Steve, you'll put us all to shame :roll: :D
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Steve

Post by Steve »

I wish!! Ive seen the photos of the cars you guys work on and build and Ive got to start somewhere!!
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Stay in Fulham all week,train home Friday night,,, Saturday paperwork,e mails, spend some time with wife,Sunday sort stuff for London train back to Fulham Sunday evening,,,Garage half built,car in bits, ,,(well it was last time i looked in October last year)Dayvan with no MOT on the drive, But i will be at Dragstalgia,,,with a bit of help from Chandler Racing Home Of The Hillbilly Tune Up :thumbright:
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
charger01

Post by charger01 »

After taking the engine out to replace the freeze plugs & freshen up the engine bay after last winter I have not been able to get the car running right. It was backfiring badly & didnt matter which way the timing was advanced or retarded I couldnt eliminate the problem. Ade Worman was good enough to send up a box of spares to eliminate the usual suspects. I had already cleaned the bulkhead connectors, replaced plugs & wires . I then bought a new dizzy from the States hoping this would sort it out. Fired her up and still the same. After many hours of head scratching & closing to door on it to have another think .Upto date I had replaced coil,plugs, wires, voltage reg. Checked & installed further earth wires around the engine bay all to no avail. I sent to the States for a ready made set of plug wires in 8.5mm & replaced the plugs again with another new set. Usually gap the plugs at 34 but opened the new set to 36. Fired the car up today to try out . Luckily I dont have neighbours & my house is at the end of a 1/4 straight lane... Well , drove her out of the garage , lined her up & booted it....Bananarama! me , nearly Bananarama! me pants. The car is back in business. Not a single miss & instant throttle reaction. Funny how you can hate your car one minute then fall back in love with it :lol:
Attachments
70ChargerDoH.jpg
70ChargerDoH.jpg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Thank Bananarama! for that Ade :)
Good on yer mate ;)
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Steve

Post by Steve »

Nice to hear you are sorted Adrian and I know what you mean! Great when they are running but expensive ornaments when they dont! I had some probs recently and following a couple of lengthy and very knowledgeable calls with Ade, I got sorted and am enjoying using my Polara regularly. Amazing amount of knowledge and experience here. Dont know about you mate, but I learn just by reading about other peoples probs and the posted answers..... Youre car looks great aswell!

Cheers steve
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Funny how you can hate your car one minute then fall back in love with it

aint that the truth :iagree: I call it a love hate affair :roll:
db

Post by db »

Cracked it at last Ade! Nice one glad it's sorted.
Still got your spark plug money here btw!
No-one will believe you...
charger01

Post by charger01 »

db wrote:Cracked it at last Ade! Nice one glad it's sorted.
Still got your spark plug money here btw!
Don't worry about the plug money, stick a gallon in that fuel cell with it ;)
When are you hoping to get the Belv on the road Paul ? I am off week after next. If your still on the sick I will pop over for a gander & a cuppa :thumbright:
db

Post by db »

Got another 2 weeks off.
I'll have the motor in and tow it over to Jaspers for wiring in the next few days.
Plan is to have it near-as-dammit-finished before i'm back in work [-o<
No-one will believe you...
charger01

Post by charger01 »

Ready for a road trip to the Pod at the end of July then? I will be heading down for the weekend in the car again all being well. Good chance to shake it down & build up some confidence in it. Its only 200 miles each way :thumbright:
Green68

Post by Green68 »

I done more in the last 2 weeks than the whole of last year, John (Bacca) came down & gave me a hand fitting some stuff on the cars. Put an Accurate exhaust on the 500 (fitted like a glove), wiper motor which took 3 hours (but thats another story), correct rubber fuel lines & clamps & other bits and bobs. Primed both the 500 & 68 R/T engines, put the hood back on the 500. At moment doing a Bendix servo then a propshaft.
Attachments
Picture 414.jpg
Picture 414.jpg (72.44 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Picture 412.jpg
Picture 412.jpg (67.64 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Picture 409.jpg
Picture 409.jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Picture 406.jpg
Picture 406.jpg (109 KiB) Viewed 976 times