James' Challenger T/A

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

James' Challenger T/A

Post by Anonymous »

Well here it is, I can barely believe I own this as it really has been a dream car for me, and what I consider to be the best 'out of the box' Mopar.
As most of you know, the T/As were built for Dodges entry into the Trans Am race series in 1970 and had to build 2,400 road cars for homologation. They all feature the revvy 340 six pak engine, front and rear sway bars, heavy duty torsion bars, power disc brake and heavy duty drums, side exit exhaust, fast ratio steering box (no slop!), fibreglass hood with huge scoop, rear spoiler, and larger rear tyres than front. The engine itself is based on the racing engines and has unique heads/valve gear, Edelbrock ally inlet and the block is beefed up in the bearing areas, it could also accept four bolt mains. Obviously the six pak of three carbs is the fun bit!

This car is in great condition, and testimant to its previous owners, Alex rebuilt and uprated the motor last year I believe. It is in 'top banana' yellow and is just one of forty six built to have the rear window louvre kit and non vinyl roof.
Bodywork is good with just some minor blemishes and I just have little fiddly things to do to it really (including fitting new mini starter!). Standard Interior is nice with the R/T style seats and non rallye dash.
Driving it is unreal, Pete showed it of a bit to me and Im stilll learning, but steering and braking is superb and along with the handling will put some modern cars to shame. Can be driven really sedately (and economically!) on one carb, but turns into an animal when all three kick in, the 4.10 gears help - really looking forward to exploring this car!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 12, 05 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

beeeaauttifuuullllll :D :D :D
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

It is great that after all this time over here it will finally get out on the road clocking up some miles. :D

I hope you will be at the Nats with it because I have been wanting to see this car ever since I heard Pete was bringing it over.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

congratulations !!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Man.......................

That is soooooooooooo cool..!!

8)
Holly

Post by Holly »

Time to change your signature line ;)

One cool car you've got there, look forward to seeing it up close!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

That is Stunning :o What more can I say?? that is awesome ...........
Alex

Post by Alex »

Glad it worked out for you mate, look after it now ! and trust me, that is a nice motor in there for sure, all the best bits in that one!
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

I WANT I WANT I WANT That is perfect Hmmm Wonder how much I can sell the Mrs & kids for :evil: Take good care of it :D
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the responce guys.
It will be used (it just begs to be driven) and I realise the burden of responsibility involved with the upkeep of this Chally. I feel more of a custodian than owner and I cant take any credit for how well the car has been looked after. Financilly I had to struggle to get this, but what the hey, Im only young (ish) once, and it is a dream come true.
Alex, the engine is suberb and the way it delivers the power is amazing, why Dodge never put this package into long term production is beyond me, it really proves that a muscle car can handle!
already making a list of what to do on it, including mini starter, tyres and gay gears (as it quickly reaches full safe revs!) 8)
Anonymous

james challenger T/A

Post by Anonymous »

:thumbright: thats fantastic,see you at the MOPARS.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

commander powell wrote:and gay gears (as it quickly reaches full safe revs!) 8)
Ho man. Alex built this engine ya narr?
Safe revs will be about 6500rpm when you will be doing about 120mph!

Don't be a poof! You will get used to the gears after a little while although 3.91s would be my gear of choice. If you put any gears less than 3.55:1 in I think it would spoil the fun aspect of the car for you.