WHY HAS THE MUSCLECAR DIED ON THIS SITE,

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Cannonball

WHY HAS THE MUSCLECAR DIED ON THIS SITE,

Post by Cannonball »

I dont know if anyone else has noticed but the muscle car has died on this site, where have all the
i have just bought a challenger. or hey i have a plymouth cuda 440-6
or a coronet r/t etc etc,

its just a hive of 4 door car lovers at the moment ????

i have nothing against them what so ever but the real muscle seems to have moved on,, is it that they have all gone to europe,

anyone else noticed the shift of interest or members on this site ???

or has it all just gone to this Bananarama! site mopar pages i dont know as i wont lower myself,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Pete

Post by Pete »

I don't think it has shifted.

I think it has expanded, which is a good thing.

Our "moredoor" cousins happen to have a higher post rate - and good for them; getting involved.

I would like to see more posts on any car-related stuff!! :read2:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Pete wrote:I don't think it has shifted.

I think it has expanded, which is a good thing.

Our "moredoor" cousins happen to have a higher post rate - and good for them; getting involved.

I would like to see more posts on any car-related stuff!! :read2:
no its died,,,,,,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Carl

Post by Carl »

I brought an ex club muscle car back into the club. :D Maybe the last person at the mo that has? Im sure there will be some more as few new members are in the market to buy, plus there isnt an lot about at the mo either.

Its probably slowed up a bit due to time of year and money etc, so conversation is revolving around what we have in the club. Be plenty of conversations once the meets and shows get underway, no doubt.
Jon Connolly

Post by Jon Connolly »

Think about it dunc .. Dave madders / you / budgie / pete jordan have brought nothing new in for years so it's a supply and demand job .. Not many people are dedicated enough to import themselves

And

Money is tight allround .. I'd love a 440 6 pack car but don't have the cash .. Only had cheapo stuff like a100's and dusters etc
9.844 @ 134.04 ... Smallblock Valiant + NOS

10.169 @ 130.17 ... Smallblock Dodge Ram pick up truck - motor only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvwC1fd0 ... 8Z96U8t0LQ
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

It has to be money.

It's why I will not be suddenly announcing that I have bought a decent Mopar. If I had the money I would. But it is unlikely to happen in the foreseable future.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Back in the 80s you could get a decent big block muscle car for a few months wages.
It would take twice what I take home in a year to buy one now.
Mossy68

Re: WHY HAS THE MUSCLECAR DIED ON THIS SITE,

Post by Mossy68 »

Cannonball wrote:I dont know if anyone else has noticed but the muscle car has died on this site, where have all the
i have just bought a challenger. or hey i have a plymouth cuda 440-6
or a coronet r/t etc etc,

its just a hive of 4 door car lovers at the moment ????

i have nothing against them what so ever but the real muscle seems to have moved on,, is it that they have all gone to europe,

anyone else noticed the shift of interest or members on this site ???

or has it all just gone to this Bananarama! site mopar pages i dont know as i wont lower myself,
100% down to money in my case mate.
It's a more door or nothing !!!! :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Duncan, your post couldn't have been more timely, the committee and the mods have been talking about taking the club forward, in fact I spent the best part of an hour on the phone to Jim Wilson about the subject of the comparative shortage of American Muscle across the whole of the scene.

I will be posting a proposal on the forum for all the members to respond to with a view to taking the MMA forward and we are hoping it will inject new life into the club.

I've been sniffing around for a new car and I have to say it's difficult to find anything that hasn't already been snapped up by the Germans or the Scandinavians!
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Pete

Post by Pete »

See, big fella; your prices are too high!! ;)

Supply and demand, but I am sure we can still make this an interesting, enjoyable and stimulating hobby.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Put a poll on for owners to tick off (what type of car they own). That way you'd find out if the cars are still there, but the owners aren't using the site much.
I suspect the majority of owners in the MMA have 'muscle' cars but may not be bantering so much.
The new guys are certainly enjoying themselves.
Of course there is the thorny question of what actually constitutes a 'muscle' car all over again.
I could write more about my 340 roadrunner in due course, but is it a 'muscle' car...?
What sort of debate you looking for on the site, Dunc? After all guys like Mopar Mark, Jerry and Pete Walton are always on topic. Then there's Nicks Surrey Muscle Roadrunner (if it gets off the trailer ;) and I'm sure there are more.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Most reasons have already been stated (i.e. Supply and demand).

But on a personal note i'm 31, have a 6 figure mortgage, a young child, possibly more in the near future and the wife wants to move house this year. The wife also whet part time when we had Meg so we've lost 70% of her income too!

I earn a decent wage, but do not have the money to buy 15-20K cars. In fact the sensible thing to do is to sell what i have and concentrate on paying the mortgage down and have a slightly more comfortable lifestyle!

But, i love american cars and in particular Mopars. Stupid really as i'd get a lot more/better condition GM car for what i've put into the Dart already. But then i never do things by half!

At the same time i would love an E bod Cuda or a 440 sixpack RR, but with modern day prices these will never happen for me. Not an issue its just what life is.

Most guys on here are 40 plus (some even older from some of the posts), so have bought their cars when the market was significantly cheaper and have significantly lower outgoings than me!

You will also see that a lot of the members on here (new ones especially) stem from London and its surrounding area. Couple hosue prices blah, blah, earnings potential and age and these guys have more than most north of Oxford!

I'll be (when life slows a bit), building a 350hp 360ci Dart Swinger. Not what most would consider a muscle car, but it fits the criteria (big engine, small car) and suits my financial status!

I agree in most cases that you only live once (could buy the RR on the Mortgage), but would not subject my family to any extended debt! Put it this way if i won £50k tomorrow it would go against bricks and mortar and not metal and oil!

In todays market, i consider myself lucky that i have a house thats not in Negative equity, a stable job, a loving family, my health and a passion that i can afford to partake in!
:thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well said, Dave.

Just do the best you can in life and adapt accordingly...........
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Steve

Post by Steve »

Have to agree with Dave on this.... And what a good thread Dunc. I do feel a bit guilty about 'watering' the club down at times but this club is advertised as being open to all lovers of yank iron and there is a broad spectrum of cars on here that reflect this ethos... Maybe Mopar Muscle Association doesnt quite reflect its make up anymore.

I would love english68s 340 Cuda convertible more than any other car Ive seen on here but there is no way on this earth I would ever be able to afford it... Period! So do I dream of a 440/6 Challenger or drive a four door Polara? My choice is obvious...

Is it the four doors that stops my Polara being 'muscle'? Its not a Hemicuda but its a 383/ 4 bbl, 330bhp, 727, 8 3/4 rear car. If this setup was in a roadrunner it would be a musclecar but worth 4 times what my car is worth and out of my reach. And a roadrunner isnt that much lighter than my car... It kicks me in the arse for a 45 yr old car on kickdown the same as any other standard spec 45 yr old Mopar. Os it les muscular than a 230bhp 318 charger, or is that not a musclecar, but would be with a 383 in it??

Its money Dunc, pure and simple mate! My wages have dropped considerably in relative terms recently to the point where holidays are non existant at the mo, some months a few beers are out of the question if I want to save a bit for the Nats etc, I walk or cycle to work to justify banging a tank a month into the Polara so I can drive her rather than look at her. If I had 60k for a 440/6 car I would pay my mortgage off and have some breathing space.... I havent so my car is still ticking the Mopar boxes and stopping Mr Cameron kicking absolutely all the fun out of what is a pretty mundane, tax paying, debt paying, shift working, 'pay the man' life.

Im pretty envious of all the cars youve driven and owned Dunc and hats off to you for making some good car decisions when I didnt have the kahoonas to just buy a nice one in the 80s and have done with it!!

Thanks for raising a very good question Dunc

Cheers Steve

:thumbright: :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
db

Post by db »

Yup, money and don't forget the crappy weather!!
Thankfull I've already got my muscle car but I can only do to it what I can afford.
If I had the money I'd be getting it painted about now, as well as rebuilding the front struts.
I'd love to get the car on the road and put a few miles on it. I need to see how it likes the ignition and carb settings, learn how to use my AFR gauge and do some tweaking, but I daren't until the salt's been washed off the roads as all my shiny bare metal will go orange again :(
No-one will believe you...